An exact solution to the unsteady free-convection boundary-layer flow past an impulsively started vertical surface with newtonian heating
An exact solution of the unsteady free-convection boundary-layer flow of an incompressible fluid past an infinite vertical plate with the flow generated by Newtonian heating and impulsive motion of the plate is presented. The resulting governing equations are nondimensionalized and their solutions are obtained in a closed form with the help of the Laplace transform technique. A parametric study of the roles of all involved parameters is conducted and a representative set of numerical results for the velocity, temperature, and skin friction is illustrated graphically. The physical aspects of the problem are discussed.
- C. R. Illingworth, Unsteady laminar flow of gas near an infinite plate, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 46, 603–613 (1950). CrossRef
- R. Siegel, Transient free convection from a vertical flat plate, Trans. ASME, 80, 347–359 (1958).
- V. M. Soundalgekar, Free convection effects on Stokes problem for a vertical plate, ASME J. Heat Transfer, 99C, 499–501 (1977).
- J. T. Stuart, Recent Research on Unsteady Boundary Layers, Lavel University Press, Quebec (1972).
- D. P. Telionis, Unsteady Viscous Flows, Springer-Verlag, New York (1981).
- I. Pop, Theory of Unsteady Boundary Layers, Romanian Academy of Sciences, Bucharest (1983).
- O. G. Martynenko, A. A. Berezovsky, and Yu. A. Sakovishin, Laminar free convection from a vertical plate, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 27, 869–881 (1984). CrossRef
- C. P. Perdikis and H. S. Takhar, Free convection effects on flow past a moving vertical infinite porous plate, Astrophys. Space Science, 125, No. 1, 205–209 (1986). CrossRef
- R. Camargo, E. Luna, and C. Trevino, Numerical study of the natural convective cooling of a vertical plate, Heat and Mass Transfer, 32, 89–95 (1996). CrossRef
- A. Raptis and C. Perdikis, Free convection flow of water near 4°C past a moving plate, Forschung im Ingeneiurwesen, 67, No. 5, 206–208 (2002). CrossRef
- P. Chandran, N. C. Sacheti, and A K Singh, Unsteady hydromagnetic free convection flow with heat flux and accelerated boundary motion, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 67, 124–129 (1998). CrossRef
- U. N. Das, R. K. Deka, and V. M. Soundalgekar, Transient free convection flow past an infinite vertical plate with periodic temperature variation, J. Heat Transfer, 121, 1091–1094 (1999).
- R. Muthukumaraswamy, Natural convection on flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with variable surface heat flux, Far East J. Appl. Math., 14, 99–109 (2004).
- Pallath Chandran, N. C. Sacheti, and A. K. Singh, Natural convection near a vertical plate with ramped wall temperature, Heat Mass Transfer, 41, 459–464 (2005). CrossRef
- J. H. Merkin, Natural convection boundary-layer flow on a vertical surface with Newtonian heating, Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 15, 392–398 (1994). CrossRef
- D. Lesnic, D. B. Ingham, and I. Pop, Free convection boundary layer flow along a vertical surface in a porous medium with Newtonian heating, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 42, 2621–2627 (1999). CrossRef
- D. Lesnic, D. B. Ingham, and I. Pop, Free convection from a horizontal surface in porous medium with Newtonian heating, J. Porous Media, 3, 227–235 (2000).
- D. Lesnic, D. B. Ingham, I. Pop, and C. Storr, Free convection boundary layer flow above a nearly horizontal surface in porous medium with Newtonian heating, Heat Mass Transfer, 40, No. 4, 665–672 (2003).
- B. M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover Publication, Inc., New York (1970).
- J. C. Slattery, Advanced Transport Phenomena, Cambridge University Press (1999).
- H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, Conduction of Heat in Solids, Oxford University Press, London (1959).
- An exact solution to the unsteady free-convection boundary-layer flow past an impulsively started vertical surface with newtonian heating
Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics
Volume 80, Issue 5 , pp 954-960
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors