Antennally Active Macrolide from the Emerald Ash Borer Agrilus planipennis Emitted Predominantly by Females
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The macrocyclic lactone (3Z)-dodecen-12-olide was identified from the emissions of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis, feeding on ash foliage. The compound was detected from both sexes but was ca. 10 times more abundant from females. It was readily sensed by antennae of both males and females. Identification was confirmed by synthesis. The behavioral effects of the lactone remain unstudied in A. planipennis, but a verified pheromonal function could lead to improved monitoring for this invasive pest. The lactone is part of the pheromone of Cryptolestes pusillus, an unrelated beetle species.
- Attygalle, A. B. 1998. Microchemical techniques, pp. 207–294, in J. G. Millar and K. F. Haynes (eds.). Methods in Chemical Ecology, vol. 1, Chemical Methods. Kluwer, Norwell, MA.
- Bartelt, R. J., Cossé, A. A., Zilkowski, B. W., Weisleder, D., Grode, S. H., Wiedenmann, R. N., and Post S. L. 2006. Dimethylfuran-lactone pheromone from males of Galerucella calmariensis and Galerucella pusilla. J. Chem. Ecol. 32:693–712. CrossRef
- Bauer, L. S., Haack, R. A., Miller, D. L., Liu, H., and Petrice, T. 2003. Laboratory rearing of emerald ash borer, pp. 36–37, in V. Mastro and R. Reardon (compilers). Emerald Ash Borer Research and Technology Development Meeting, Port Huron MI, Sep. 30–Oct. 1, 2003 (proceedings). http://www.invasive.org/eab/eab2003.pdf.
- Boden, C. D. J., Chambers, J., and Stevens, I. D. R. 1993. A concise, efficient and flexible strategy for the synthesis of the pheromones of Oryzaephilus and Cryptolestes grain beetles. Synthesis 1993:411–420. CrossRef
- Cappaert, D., Mccullough, D. G., Poland, T. M., and Siegert N. W. 2005. Emerald ash borer in North America: a research and regulatory challenge. Am. Entomol. 51:152–165.
- Cossé, A. A., and Bartelt, R. J. 2000. Male-produced aggregation pheromone of Colopterus truncatus: Structure, electrophysiological and behavioral activity. J. Chem. Ecol. 26:1735–1748. CrossRef
- Dunn, J. P., and Potter, D. A. 1988. Evidence for sexual attraction by the twolined chestnut borer, Agrilus bilineatus (Weber) (Coleoptera: Buprestidae). Can. Entomol. 120:1037–1039. CrossRef
- Millar, J. G., Pierce, H. D., JR., Pierce, A. M., Oehlschlager, A. C., Borden, J. H., and Barak, A. V. 1985. Aggregaion pheromones of the flat grain beetle, Cryptolestes pusillus (Coleoptera: Cucujidae). J. Chem. Ecol. 11:1053–1070. CrossRef
- Antennally Active Macrolide from the Emerald Ash Borer Agrilus planipennis Emitted Predominantly by Females
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 33, Issue 7 , pp 1299-1302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Agrilus planipennis
- Emerald ash borer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, USDA-ARS, 1815 N. University St., Peoria, IL, 61604, USA
- 2. Emerald Ash Borer Project, USDA-APHIS-PPQ, 5936 Ford Ct., Brighton, MI, 48116, USA