Biosynthesis of Tiglic, Ethacrylic, and 2-Methylbutyric Acids in a Carabid Beetle, Pterostichus (Hypherpes) californicus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Tiglic, 2-methylbutyric, and ethacrylic acids are found in the pygidial gland defensive fluid of many carabid beetles. By injecting a deuterium-labeled precursor into the carabid beetle Pterostichus (Hypherpes) californicus, and analyzing the defensive fluid by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, we were able to demonstrate that tiglic and ethacrylic acids are biosynthesized from isoleucine via 2-methylbutyric acid. Moreover, we observed that the injection of l-isoleucine induces an increased production of tiglic acid in P. californicus. A strong primary kinetic isotope effect was found to operate in the dehydrogenation step of 2-methylbutyric acid to tiglic and ethacrylic acids. Consequently, ethacrylic acid was found to preferentially accumulate the deuterium labeling from [2,3,4,4-2H4]isoleucine during our biosynthetic experiments.
- Adachi, Y., Kanehisa, K., and Tsumuki, H. 1985. Catabolic formation of methacrylic acid and tiglic acid from the branched chain amino acids in the pygidial defensive glands of Carabus yaconinus Bates (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 20:492–493.
- Attygalle, A. B., Meinwald, J., and Eisner, T. 1991. Biosynthesis of methacrylic and isobutyric acids in a carabid beetle, Scarites subterraneus. Tetrahedron Lett. 32:4489–4852. CrossRef
- Attygalle, A. B., Wu, X., Ruzicka, J., Rao, S., Garcia, S., Herath, K., Meinwald, J., Maddison, D., and Will, K. W. 2004. Defensive chemicals of two species of Trachypachus Motschulski (Coleoptera: Trachypachidae). J. Chem. Ecol. 20:567–578.
- Basey, K. and Woolley, J. G. 1973. Biosynthesis of the tigloyl esters in Datura: The role of 2-methylbutyric acid. Phytochemistry 12:2197–2201. CrossRef
- Benn, M. H., Lencucha, A., Maxie, S., and Telang, S. A. 1973. The pygidial defensive secretion of Carabus taedatus. J. Insect. Physiol. 19:2173–2176. CrossRef
- Leete, E. 1973. Biosynthetic conversion of α-methylbutyric acid to tiglic acid in Datura meteloides. Phytochemistry 12:2203–2205. CrossRef
- Leete, E. and Murrill, S. J. B. 1967. Biosynthesis of the tiglic acid moiety of meteloidine in Datura meteloides. Tetrahedron Lett. 18:1727–1730. CrossRef
- Will, K. W., Attygalle, A. B., and Herath, K. 2000. New defensive chemical data for ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae): Interpretations in a phylogenetic framework. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 71:459–481. CrossRef
- Biosynthesis of Tiglic, Ethacrylic, and 2-Methylbutyric Acids in a Carabid Beetle, Pterostichus (Hypherpes) californicus
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 33, Issue 5 , pp 963-970
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Defensive allomones
- Tiglic acid
- 2-Methylbutyric acid
- Ethacrylic acid
- Carabid beetles
- Pterostichus (Hypherpes) californicus
- Industry Sectors