Contemporary Visions of Psychotherapy Supervision: Sharing Perspective, Identifying Need, and Charting Possibility
- C. Edward Watkins Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Psychotherapy supervision has now celebrated its first centennial, is poised to move boldly forward into its second century of contribution to psychotherapy education, and seems perfectly positioned to further advance our knowledge about and practice of how to effectively facilitate, influence, and mentor our supervisees. Professional interest in and recognition of psychotherapy supervision appears to be at an all time high, and its value as a potentially alchemical educational event seems increasingly incontrovertible. But if supervision is to maintain and even enhance its substance and significance in 21st century psychotherapy education, what are the matters to which we as supervision practitioners, researchers, and theorists must vigilantly attend and vigorously address? In this special supervision issue of the Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, we would like to examine some of those matters. The topics that are addressed include: competencies, evidence-based practice, and supervising psychoanalytic/psychodynamic, cognitive/behavioral, humanistic/existential, and integrative/eclectic psychotherapies. The binding theme of “pressing needs and impressing possibilities” will be evident throughout this journal issue. In this introductory paper, I briefly define psychotherapy supervision, consider its beginnings, provide a rationale for this special issue, and identify the specific questions that give focus and frame to each of the succeeding contributions.
- Bernard, J. M. (2005). Tracing the development of clinical supervision. The Clinical Supervisor, 24, 3–21. CrossRef
- Bernard, J. M., & Goodyear, R. K. (2009). Fundamentals of clinical supervision (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Merrill.
- Falender, C. A., & Shafranske, E. (2004). Clinical supervision: a competency-based approach. Washington: American Psychological Association. CrossRef
- Falender, C. A., & Shafranske, E. (Eds.). (2008). Casebook for clinical supervision: a competency- based approach. Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Frawley-O’Dea, M. G., & Sarnat, J. E. (2001). The supervisory relationship: a contemporary psychodynamic approach. New York: Guilford Press.
- Freud, S. (1909/1959). Analysis of a phobia in a five-year-old boy. In: Collected papers (Vol. 3, pp. 149–289). London: Hogarth Press.
- Garfield, S. L. (2006). Therapies—modern and popular: PsycCRITIQUES 2006. Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Gordan, K. (1996). Psychotherapy supervision in education, clinical practice, and institutions. Northvale: Aronson.
- Hess, A. K. (2008). Psychotherapy supervision: a conceptual review. In A. K. Hess, K. D. Hess, & T. H. Hess (Eds.), Psychotherapy supervision: theory, research, and practice (pp 3–22) (2nd ed.). Hoboken: Wiley.
- Hess, A. K. (2011). Psychotherapy supervision. In J. C. Norcross, G. R. Vandenbos, & D. K. Freedheim (Eds.), History of psychotherapy (2nd ed., pp. 703–722). Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Hess, A. K., Hess, K. D., & Hess, T. H. (Eds.). (2008). Psychotherapy supervision: theory, research, and practice (2nd ed.). Hoboken: Wiley.
- Jacobs, D., David, P., & Meyer, D. J. (1995). The supervisory encounter: a guide for teachers of psychodynamic psychotherapy and analysis. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Milne, D. (2007). An empirical definition of clinical supervision. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 46, 437–447. CrossRef
- Milne, D. (2009). Evidence-based clinical supervision: principles and practice. Hoboken: Wiley.
- Thomas, J. (2010). Ethical and legal issues in supervision and consultation. Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Watkins, C. E., Jr (Ed.). (1997). Handbook of psychotherapy supervision. New York: Wiley.
- Watkins, C. E., Jr. (2011a). Celebrating psychoanalytic supervision: considering a century of seminal contribution. The Psychoanalytic Review, 98, 401–418. CrossRef
- Watkins, C. E., Jr. (2011b). Psychotherapy supervision since 1909: some friendly observations about its first century. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 41, 57–67. CrossRef
- Contemporary Visions of Psychotherapy Supervision: Sharing Perspective, Identifying Need, and Charting Possibility
Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy
Volume 42, Issue 3 , pp 125-127
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Psychotherapy supervision
- Clinical supervision
- Supervision needs
- Supervision possibilities
- Future of psychotherapy supervision
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle # 311280, Psychology, UNT, Denton, TX, 76203-5017, USA