Testing Systems of Identical Components
- Tonguç Ünlüyurt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the problem of testing sequentially the components of a multi-component reliability system in order to figure out the state of the system via costly tests. In particular, systems with identical components are considered. The notion of lexicographically large binary decision trees is introduced and a heuristic algorithm based on that notion is proposed. The performance of the heuristic algorithm is demonstrated by computational results, for various classes of functions. In particular, in all 200 random cases where the underlying function is a threshold function, the proposed heuristic produces optimal solutions.
- L. Arseneau, “Optimal testing strategies for s,t-series parallel systems,” Master's thesis, Combinatorics and Optimization, University of Waterloo, 1996.
- Y. Ben-Dov, “Optimal testing procedures for special structures of coherent systems,” Management Science, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1410–1420, 1981. CrossRef
- E. Boros and T. Ünlüyurt, “Diagnosing double regular systems,” Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 26, pp. 171–191, 1999. CrossRef
- E. Boros and T. Ünlüyurt, “Sequential testing of series-parallel systems of small depth,” in M. Laguna and J.L.G. Velarde (eds.), OR Computing Tools for the New Millennium, Kluwer, 2000, pp. 39–74.
- Y. Breitbart and A. Reiter, “A branch-and-bound algorithm to obtain an optimal evaluation tree for monotonic boolean functions,” Acta Informatica, vol. 4, pp. 311–319, 1975.
- Y. Breitbart and S. Gal, “Analysis of algorithms for the evaluation of monotonic Boolean functions,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1083–1087, 1978.
- Y. Breitbart and A. Reiter, “Algorithms for fast evaluation of boolean expressions,” Acta Informatica, vol. 4, pp. 107–116, 1975.
- M. Chang, W. Shi, and W.K. Fuchs, “Optimal diagnosis procedures for k-out-of-n structures,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 559–564, 1990. CrossRef
- L.A. Cox, S.Y. Chiu, and X. Sun, “Least-cost failure diagnosis in uncertain reliability systems,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 54, pp. 203–216, 1996. CrossRef
- S.O. Duffuaa and A. Raouf, “An optimal sequence in multicharacteristics inspection,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 79–87, 1990. CrossRef
- M.R. Garey, “Optimal task sequencing with precedence constraints,” Discrete Mathematics, vol. 4, pp. 37–56, 1973. CrossRef
- R. Greiner, “Finding optimal derivation strategies in redundant knowledge bases,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 50, pp. 95–115, 1990.
- E. Gudes and A. Hoffman, “A note on an optimal evaluation of boolean expressions in an online query system,” Short Communications, Artificial Intelligence/Language Processing, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 550–553, 1979.
- J.Y. Halpern, “Evaluating Boolean function with random variables,” International Journal of Systems Science, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 545–553, 1974.
- M.Z. Hanani, “An optimal evaluation of boolean expressions in an online query system,” Short Communications, Artificial Intelligence/Language Processing, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 344–347, 1977.
- L.A. Cox Jr., Y. Qiu, and W. Kuehner, “Heuristic least-cost computation of discrete classification functions with uncertain argument values,” Annals of Operations Research, vol. 21, pp. 1–21, 1989. CrossRef
- H.A. Simon and J.B. Kadane, “Optimal problem-solving search: All-or-none solutions,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 6, pp. 235–247, 1975. CrossRef
- D.E. Smith, “Controlling backward inference,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 39, pp. 145–208, 1989. CrossRef
- T. Ünlüyurt, Sequential Testing of Complex Systems. PhD thesis, Rutgers University, 1999.
- T. Ünlüyurt, “Sequential testing of complex systems: A review,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 142, nos. (1–3), pp. 189–205, 2004.
- Testing Systems of Identical Components
Journal of Combinatorial Optimization
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 261-282
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- sequential testing
- boolean functions
- binary decision trees
- Industry Sectors
- Tonguç Ünlüyurt (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Sabanci University, Orhanlı, Tuzla, 34956, İstanbul, Turkey