Determination of Human Anticytokine Autoantibody Profiles Using a Particle-Based Approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anticytokine autoantibodies cause numerous human diseases, ranging from pure red cell aplasia to acquired immunodeficiencies. Rapid, simple, and affordable detection and monitoring of these antibodies is essential. We sought to develop a standardizable assay that is rapid, sensitive, and specific and able to simultaneously detect multiple anticytokine autoantibodies in small volumes (<10 μl).
We conjugated purified human cytokines to commercially available fluorescently labeled microspheres and tested them against sera from well-characterized subjects with at least one high-titer, disease-associated anticytokine autoantibody.
Cytokine-conjugated microspheres efficiently and rapidly determined plasma concentration and IgG subclass of anticytokine autoantibodies in single or multiplex formats.
This particle-based multiplex assay can reproducibly characterize anticytokine autoantibodies. This efficient and inexpensive approach to diagnosing and monitoring anticytokine autoantibodies has clinical applications.
- Browne, SK, Holland, SM (2010) Immunodeficiency secondary to anticytokine autoantibodies. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 10: pp. 534-41 CrossRef
- Riches, PL, McRorie, E, Fraser, WD, Determann, C, Hof, R, Ralston, SH (2009) Osteoporosis associated with neutralizing autoantibodies against osteoprotegerin. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 1459-65 CrossRef
- Borie, R, Debray, MP, Laine, C, Aubier, M, Crestani, B (2009) Rituximab therapy in autoimmune pulmonary alveolar proteinosis. Eur Respir J 33: pp. 1503-6 CrossRef
- Kavuru MS, Malur A, Marshall I, Barna BP, Meziane M, Huizar I, et al. An open-label trial of rituximab therapy in pulmonary alveolar proteinosis. Eur Respir J. 2011. doi:10.1183/09031936.00197710.
- Behler, CM, Terrault, NA, Etzell, JE, Damon, LE (2009) Rituximab therapy for pure red cell aplasia due to anti-epoetin antibodies in a woman treated with epoetin-alfa: a case report. J Med Case Reports 3: pp. 7335 CrossRef
- Macdougall, IC, Rossert, J, Casadevall, N, Stead, RB, Duliege, AM, Froissart, M (2009) A peptide-based erythropoietin-receptor agonist for pure red-cell aplasia. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 1848-55 CrossRef
- Remmers, EF, Cosan, F, Kirino, Y, Ombrello, MJ, Abaci, N, Satorius, C (2010) Genome-wide association study identifies variants in the MHC class I, IL10, and IL23R-IL12RB2 regions associated with Behcet’s disease. Nat Genet 42: pp. 698-702 CrossRef
- Fuja, T, Hou, S, Bryant, P (2004) A multiplex microsphere bead assay for comparative RNA expression analysis using flow cytometry. J Biotechnol 108: pp. 193-205 CrossRef
- Zheng, Z, Luo, Y, McMaster, GK (2006) Sensitive and quantitative measurement of gene expression directly from a small amount of whole blood. Clin Chem 52: pp. 1294-302 CrossRef
- Bonfield, TL, John, N, Barna, BP, Kavuru, MS, Thomassen, MJ, Yen-Lieberman, B (2005) Multiplexed particle-based anti-granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor assay used as pulmonary diagnostic test. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12: pp. 821-4
- Burbelo, PD, Browne, SK, Sampaio, EP, Giaccone, G, Zaman, R, Kristosturyan, E (2010) Anti-cytokine autoantibodies are associated with opportunistic infection in patients with thymic neoplasia. Blood 116: pp. 4848-58 CrossRef
- Patel, SY, Ding, L, Brown, MR, Lantz, L, Gay, T, Cohen, S (2005) Anti-IFN-gamma autoantibodies in disseminated nontuberculous mycobacterial infections. J Immunol 175: pp. 4769-76
- Wood, BA, O’Halloran, KP, Vandewoude, S (2011) Development and validation of a multiplex microsphere-based assay for detection of domestic cat (Felis catus) cytokines. Clin Vaccine Immunol 18: pp. 387-92 CrossRef
- Sun, M, Manolopoulou, J, Spyroglou, A, Beuschlein, F, Hantel, C, Wu, Z (2010) A microsphere-based duplex competitive immunoassay for the simultaneous measurements of aldosterone and testosterone in small sample volumes: validation in human and mouse plasma. Steroids 75: pp. 1089-96 CrossRef
- Lindberg, C, Bokarewa, M (2010) Rituximab for severe myasthenia gravis—experience from five patients. Acta Neurol Scand 122: pp. 225-8 CrossRef
- Bhol, K, Mohimen, A, Ahmed, AR (1994) Correlation of subclasses of IgG with disease activity in pemphigus vulgaris. Dermatology 189: pp. 85-9 CrossRef
- Bhol, K, Natarajan, K, Nagarwalla, N, Mohimen, A, Aoki, V, Ahmed, AR (1995) Correlation of peptide specificity and IgG subclass with pathogenic and nonpathogenic autoantibodies in pemphigus vulgaris: a model for autoimmunity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: pp. 5239-43 CrossRef
- Determination of Human Anticytokine Autoantibody Profiles Using a Particle-Based Approach
Journal of Clinical Immunology
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 238-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Interferon gamma
- pulmonary alveolar proteinosis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 9000 Rockville Pike, MSC 1684, Bldg 10/CRC, Rm B3-4209, Bethesda, MD, 20892-1684, USA
- 2. Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 13346, USA