Utility of Screening for Chronic Granulomatous Disease in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD), a genetically heterogeneous primary X-linked or autosomal recessive immunodeficiency, can manifest with gastrointestinal symptoms, including colitis or Crohn’s disease. The frequency of CGD carriers among those with chronic colitis/inflammatory bowel disease is unknown. We underwent a pilot study examining the value of prospectively screening patients with chronic colitis/inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) for either CGD or the carrier state of CGD. No carriers of CGD or patients with CGD were detected among 120 patients. Three patients had inconclusive results and the assay was normal on repeat testing. We conclude that routine screening for CGD was not instructive in this cohort of chronic colitis or IBD patients.
- Winkelstein JA, Marino MC, Johnston Jr RB, et al. Chronic granulomatous disease. Report on a national registry of 368 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2000;79(3):155–69. CrossRef
- Gallin JI, Alling DW, Malech HL, et al. Itraconazole to prevent fungal infections in chronic granulomatous disease. N Engl J Med. 2003;348(24):2416–22. CrossRef
- A controlled trial of interferon gamma to prevent infection in chronic granulomatous disease. The International Chronic Granulomatous Disease Cooperative Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1991;324(8):509–16.
- Siddiqui S, Anderson VL, Hilligoss DM, et al. Fulminant mulch pneumonitis: an emergency presentation of chronic granulomatous disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45(6):673–81. CrossRef
- Jaggi P, Freeman AF, Katz BZ. Chronic granulomatous disease presenting with eosinophilic inflammation. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24(11):1020–1. CrossRef
- Ament ME, Ochs HD. Gastrointestinal manifestations of chronic granulomatous disease. N Engl J Med. 1973;288(8):382–7. CrossRef
- Huang JS, Noack D, Rae J, et al. Chronic granulomatous disease caused by a deficiency in p47phox mimicking Crohn’s disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;2(8):690–5. CrossRef
- Moltyaner Y, Geerts WH, Chamberlain DW, et al. Underlying chronic granulomatous disease in a patient with bronchocentric granulomatosis. Thorax. 2003;58(12):1096–8. CrossRef
- Lun A, Roesler J, Renz H. Unusual late onset of X-linked chronic granulomatous disease in an adult woman after unsuspicious childhood. Clin Chem. 2002;48(5):780–1.
- Marciano BE, Rosenzweig SD, Kleiner DE, et al. Gastrointestinal involvement in chronic granulomatous disease. Pediatrics. 2004;114(2):462–8. CrossRef
- Schappi MG, Smith VV, Goldblatt D, Lindley KJ, Milla PJ. Colitis in chronic granulomatous disease. Arch Dis Child. 2001;84(2):147–51. CrossRef
- Schappi MG, Klein NJ, Lindley KJ, et al. The nature of colitis in chronic granulomatous disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2003;36(5):623–31. CrossRef
- Levine S, Smith VV, Malone M, Sebire NJ. Histopathological features of chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) in childhood. Histopathology. 2005;47(5):508–16. CrossRef
- Yu JE, De Ravin SS, Uzel G, et al. High levels of Crohn’s disease-associated anti-microbial antibodies are present and independent of colitis in chronic granulomatous disease. Clin Immunol. 2011;138(1):14–22. CrossRef
- O'Gorman MR, Corrochano V. Rapid whole-blood flow cytometry assay for diagnosis of chronic granulomatous disease. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1995;2(2):227–32.
- Cazzola M, Sacchi F, Pagani A, et al. X-linked chronic granulomatous disease in an adult woman. Evidence for a cell selection favoring neutrophils expressing the mutant allele. Haematologica. 1985;70(4):291–5.
- Chollet-Martin S, Lopez A, Gaud C, et al. Severe X-linked chronic granulomatous disease in two unrelated females. Eur J Pediatr. 2007;166(2):153–9. CrossRef
- Roos D, de Boer M, Kuribayashi F, et al. Mutations in the X-linked and autosomal recessive forms of chronic granulomatous disease. Blood. 1996;87(5):1663–81.
- Brandrup F, Koch C, Petri M, Schiodt M, Johansen KS. Discoid lupus erythematosus-like lesions and stomatitis in female carriers of X-linked chronic granulomatous disease. Br J Dermatol. 1981;104(5):495–505. CrossRef
- Cale CM, Morton L, Goldblatt D. Cutaneous and other lupus-like symptoms in carriers of X-linked chronic granulomatous disease: incidence and autoimmune serology. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007;148(1):79–84. CrossRef
- Windhorst DB, Page AR, Holmes B, Quie PG, Good RA. The pattern of genetic transmission of the leukocyte defect in fatal granulomatous disease of childhood. J Clin Invest. 1968;47(5):1026–34. CrossRef
- Liu S, Abrams D, Baldassano RN, Sullivan KE. Prevalence of chronic granulomatous disease in pediatric patients diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008;14(5):727–8. CrossRef
- Utility of Screening for Chronic Granulomatous Disease in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Journal of Clinical Immunology
Volume 32, Issue 1 , pp 78-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Chronic granulomatous disease
- inflammatory bowel disease
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Section of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH, USA
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, USA
- 3. Section of Gastroenterology, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH, USA
- 4. Section of Pathology, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH, USA