Population Prevalence of Diagnosed Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases in the United States
Although health surveys are routinely used to estimate the population incidence and prevalence of many chronic and acute conditions in the U.S. population, they have infrequently been used for “rare” conditions such as primary immunodeficiency diseases (PID). Accurate prevalence measures are needed to separate the truly rare condition from those that primary care doctors are likely to see in their practices today, if early diagnosis and treatment are to be achieved.
A national probability sample of 10,000 households was sampled by random digit dialing and screened by telephone to identify how many of the nearly 27,000 household members had been diagnosed with a PID.
A total of 23 household members in 18 households were reported with a specific diagnosis for PID (CVID, IgA, IgG, XLA, SCID, CGD), whereas additional cases were reported as a PID without a confirmatory diagnosis. These findings suggest a population prevalence of diagnosed PID in the United States at approximately 1 in 1,200 persons.
Diagnoses of PID in the United States are far more common than suggested in the literature.
- Notarangelo L, Casanova JL, Conley ME, Chapel ME, Fischer A, Puck J et al. Primary immunodeficiency diseases: an update from the International Union of Immunological Societies Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases Classification Committee Meeting in Budapest, 2005. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006;117:883–96. CrossRef
- Ryser O, Morell A, Hitzig WH. Primary immunodeficiencies in Switzerland: first report of the national registry in adults and children. J Clin Immunol 1988;8:479–85. CrossRef
- Mila J, Matamoros N, Pons de Ves J, Raga S, Iglesias Alzueta J. [The Spanish Registry of primary immunodeficiencies. REDIP-1998]. Sangre (Barc) 1999;44:163–7.
- Golan H, Dalal I, Garty BZ, Schlesinger M, Levy J, Handzel Z et al. The incidence of primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Israel. Isr Med Assoc J 2002;4:868–71.
- Aghamohammadi A, Moein M, Farhoudi A, Pourpak Z, Rezaei N, Abolmaali K et al. Primary immunodeficiency in Iran: first report of the national registry of PID in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 2002;22:375–80. CrossRef
- Affentranger P, Morell A, Spath P, Seger R. Registry of primary immunodeficiencies in Switzerland. Immunodeficiency 1993;4:193–5.
- Clark JA, Callicoat PA, Brenner NA. Selective IgA deficiency in blood donors. Am J Clin Pathol 1983;80:210–3.
- Fasth A. Immunodeficiency in children in Sweden (1974–1983). J Clin Immunol 1982;2:86–92. CrossRef
- Sullivan KE, Mullen CA, Blaese RM, Winkelstein JA. A multi-institutional survey of the Wiskott–Aldrich syndrome. J Pediatr 1994;125:876–85. CrossRef
- Winkelstein JA, Marino MC, Johnston RB Jr, Boyle J, Curnutte J, Gaillin JI et al. Chronic granulomatous disease. Report on a national registry of 368 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 2000;79:155–69. CrossRef
- Lim DL, Thong BY, Ho SY, Shek LP, Lou J, Leong K et al. Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Singapore—the last 11 years. Singap Med J 2003;44:579–86.
- Montoya CJ, Henao J, Salgado H, Olivares MM, Lopez JA, Rugeles C et al. [Phenotypic diagnosis of primary immunodeficiencies in Antioquia, Colombia, 1994–2002]. Biomedica 2002;22:510–8.
- Stray-Pedersen A, Abrahamsen TG, Froland SS. Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Norway. J Clin Immunol 2000;20:477–85. CrossRef
- Javier FC III, Moore CM, Sorensen RU. Distribution of primary immunodeficiency diseases diagnosed in a pediatric tertiary hospital. Ann Allergy Asthma Immun 2000;84:25–30. CrossRef
- Zelazko M, Carneiro-Sampaio M, Cornejo de Luigi M, Garcia de Olarte D, Porras Madrigal O, Berron Perez R et al. Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Latin America: first report from eight countries participating in the LAGID. Latin American Group for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. J Clin Immunol 1998;18:161–6. CrossRef
- Eley BS, Hughes J, Cooper M, Pienaar S, Beatty DW. Primary immunodeficiency diseases at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital. S Afr Med J 1997;87:1684–8.
- Bejaoui M, Barbouche MR, Sassi A, Larguche B, Miladi N, Bouguerra A et al. [Primary immunodeficiency in Tunisia: study of 152 cases]. Arch Pediatr 1997;4:827–31. CrossRef
- Baumgart KW, Britton WJ, Kemp A, French M, Roberton D. The spectrum of primary immunodeficiency disorders in Australia. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;100:415–23. CrossRef
- Grumach AS, Duarte AJ, Bellinati-Pires R, Pastorino AC, Jacob CM, Diogo CL et al. Brazilian report on primary immunodeficiencies in children: 166 cases studied over a follow-up time of 15 years. J Clin Immunol 1997;17:340–5. CrossRef
- Matamoros FN, Mila LJ, Espanol BT, Raga BS, Fontan CG. Primary immunodeficiency syndrome in Spain: first report of the national registry in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 1997;17:333–9. CrossRef
- Nunez RM. Primary immunodeficiency in Colombian children. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 1988;16:273–5.
- Bernatowska E, Madalinski K, Michalkiewicz J, Gregorek H. Primary immunodeficiency diseases in children treated in the Children’s Memorial Hospital, Poland. Immunol Invest 1988;17:107–20.
- Datta U, Kumar L, Mehta S, Walia BN, Sharma BK, Sehgal S et al. Primary immunodeficiency defects seen in PGI—one year study. J Assoc Phys India 1984;32:701–04.
- Luzi G, Businco L, Aiuti F. Primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Italy: a report of the national register in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 1983;3:316–20. CrossRef
- Luzi G, Businco L, Aiuti F. A national registry for primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Italy: a report for the period 1972–1982. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 1983;19:161–3.
- Hayakawa H, Iwata T, Yata J, Kobayashi N. Primary immunodeficiency syndrome in Japan. I. Overview of a nationwide survey on primary immunodeficiency syndrome. J Clin Immunol 1981;1:31–9. CrossRef
- Leiva LE, Zelazco M, Oleastro M, Carneiro-Sampaio M, Condino-Neto A, Costa-Carvalho BT et al. Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Latin America: the second report of the LAGID registry. J Clin Immunol 2007;27:101–8. CrossRef
- Rezaei N, Aghamohammadi A, Moin M, Pourpak Z, Movahedi M, Gharagozlu M et al. Frequency and clinical manifestations of patients with primary immunodeficiency disorders in Iran: update from the Iranian Primary Immunodeficiency Registry. J Clin Immunol 2006;26:519–32. CrossRef
- Immune Deficiency Foundation. Primary immune deficiency diseases in America: the first national survey of patients and specialists. 1999 http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/IDF_survey_complete.pdf
- Immune Deficiency Foundation. Primary immune deficiency diseases in America: the second national survey of patients and specialists. 2003 http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/IDF_survey_complete.pdf
- Population Prevalence of Diagnosed Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases in the United States
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Clinical Immunology
Volume 27, Issue 5 , pp 497-502
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases
- prevalence in the United States
- Industry Sectors