Population Prevalence of Diagnosed Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases in the United States
Although health surveys are routinely used to estimate the population incidence and prevalence of many chronic and acute conditions in the U.S. population, they have infrequently been used for “rare” conditions such as primary immunodeficiency diseases (PID). Accurate prevalence measures are needed to separate the truly rare condition from those that primary care doctors are likely to see in their practices today, if early diagnosis and treatment are to be achieved.
A national probability sample of 10,000 households was sampled by random digit dialing and screened by telephone to identify how many of the nearly 27,000 household members had been diagnosed with a PID.
A total of 23 household members in 18 households were reported with a specific diagnosis for PID (CVID, IgA, IgG, XLA, SCID, CGD), whereas additional cases were reported as a PID without a confirmatory diagnosis. These findings suggest a population prevalence of diagnosed PID in the United States at approximately 1 in 1,200 persons.
Diagnoses of PID in the United States are far more common than suggested in the literature.
- Notarangelo, L, Casanova, JL, Conley, ME, Chapel, ME, Fischer, A, Puck, J (2006) Primary immunodeficiency diseases: an update from the International Union of Immunological Societies Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases Classification Committee Meeting in Budapest, 2005. J Allergy Clin Immunol 117: pp. 883-896 CrossRef
- Ryser, O, Morell, A, Hitzig, WH (1988) Primary immunodeficiencies in Switzerland: first report of the national registry in adults and children. J Clin Immunol 8: pp. 479-485 CrossRef
- Mila, J, Matamoros, N, Pons de Ves, J, Raga, S, Iglesias Alzueta, J (1999) [The Spanish Registry of primary immunodeficiencies. REDIP-1998]. Sangre (Barc) 44: pp. 163-167
- Golan, H, Dalal, I, Garty, BZ, Schlesinger, M, Levy, J, Handzel, Z (2002) The incidence of primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Israel. Isr Med Assoc J 4: pp. 868-871
- Aghamohammadi, A, Moein, M, Farhoudi, A, Pourpak, Z, Rezaei, N, Abolmaali, K (2002) Primary immunodeficiency in Iran: first report of the national registry of PID in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 22: pp. 375-380 CrossRef
- Affentranger P, Morell A, Spath P, Seger R. Registry of primary immunodeficiencies in Switzerland. Immunodeficiency 1993;4:193–5.
- Clark, JA, Callicoat, PA, Brenner, NA (1983) Selective IgA deficiency in blood donors. Am J Clin Pathol 80: pp. 210-213
- Fasth, A (1982) Immunodeficiency in children in Sweden (1974–1983). J Clin Immunol 2: pp. 86-92 CrossRef
- Sullivan, KE, Mullen, CA, Blaese, RM, Winkelstein, JA (1994) A multi-institutional survey of the Wiskott–Aldrich syndrome. J Pediatr 125: pp. 876-885 CrossRef
- Winkelstein, JA, Marino, MC, Johnston, RB, Boyle, J, Curnutte, J, Gaillin, JI (2000) Chronic granulomatous disease. Report on a national registry of 368 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 79: pp. 155-169 CrossRef
- Lim, DL, Thong, BY, Ho, SY, Shek, LP, Lou, J, Leong, K (2003) Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Singapore—the last 11 years. Singap Med J 44: pp. 579-586
- Montoya, CJ, Henao, J, Salgado, H, Olivares, MM, Lopez, JA, Rugeles, C (2002) [Phenotypic diagnosis of primary immunodeficiencies in Antioquia, Colombia, 1994–2002]. Biomedica 22: pp. 510-518
- Stray-Pedersen, A, Abrahamsen, TG, Froland, SS (2000) Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Norway. J Clin Immunol 20: pp. 477-485 CrossRef
- Javier, FC, Moore, CM, Sorensen, RU (2000) Distribution of primary immunodeficiency diseases diagnosed in a pediatric tertiary hospital. Ann Allergy Asthma Immun 84: pp. 25-30 CrossRef
- Zelazko, M, Carneiro-Sampaio, M, Cornejo de Luigi, M, Garcia de Olarte, D, Porras Madrigal, O, Berron Perez, R (1998) Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Latin America: first report from eight countries participating in the LAGID. Latin American Group for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. J Clin Immunol 18: pp. 161-166 CrossRef
- Eley, BS, Hughes, J, Cooper, M, Pienaar, S, Beatty, DW (1997) Primary immunodeficiency diseases at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital. S Afr Med J 87: pp. 1684-1688
- Bejaoui, M, Barbouche, MR, Sassi, A, Larguche, B, Miladi, N, Bouguerra, A (1997) [Primary immunodeficiency in Tunisia: study of 152 cases]. Arch Pediatr 4: pp. 827-831 CrossRef
- Baumgart, KW, Britton, WJ, Kemp, A, French, M, Roberton, D (1997) The spectrum of primary immunodeficiency disorders in Australia. J Allergy Clin Immunol 100: pp. 415-423 CrossRef
- Grumach, AS, Duarte, AJ, Bellinati-Pires, R, Pastorino, AC, Jacob, CM, Diogo, CL (1997) Brazilian report on primary immunodeficiencies in children: 166 cases studied over a follow-up time of 15 years. J Clin Immunol 17: pp. 340-345 CrossRef
- Matamoros, FN, Mila, LJ, Espanol, BT, Raga, BS, Fontan, CG (1997) Primary immunodeficiency syndrome in Spain: first report of the national registry in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 17: pp. 333-339 CrossRef
- Nunez, RM (1988) Primary immunodeficiency in Colombian children. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 16: pp. 273-275
- Bernatowska, E, Madalinski, K, Michalkiewicz, J, Gregorek, H (1988) Primary immunodeficiency diseases in children treated in the Children’s Memorial Hospital, Poland. Immunol Invest 17: pp. 107-120
- Datta, U, Kumar, L, Mehta, S, Walia, BN, Sharma, BK, Sehgal, S (1984) Primary immunodeficiency defects seen in PGI—one year study. J Assoc Phys India 32: pp. 701-704
- Luzi, G, Businco, L, Aiuti, F (1983) Primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Italy: a report of the national register in children and adults. J Clin Immunol 3: pp. 316-320 CrossRef
- Luzi, G, Businco, L, Aiuti, F (1983) A national registry for primary immunodeficiency syndromes in Italy: a report for the period 1972–1982. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 19: pp. 161-163
- Hayakawa, H, Iwata, T, Yata, J, Kobayashi, N (1981) Primary immunodeficiency syndrome in Japan. I. Overview of a nationwide survey on primary immunodeficiency syndrome. J Clin Immunol 1: pp. 31-39 CrossRef
- Leiva, LE, Zelazco, M, Oleastro, M, Carneiro-Sampaio, M, Condino-Neto, A, Costa-Carvalho, BT (2007) Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Latin America: the second report of the LAGID registry. J Clin Immunol 27: pp. 101-108 CrossRef
- Rezaei, N, Aghamohammadi, A, Moin, M, Pourpak, Z, Movahedi, M, Gharagozlu, M (2006) Frequency and clinical manifestations of patients with primary immunodeficiency disorders in Iran: update from the Iranian Primary Immunodeficiency Registry. J Clin Immunol 26: pp. 519-532 CrossRef
- Immune Deficiency Foundation. Primary immune deficiency diseases in America: the first national survey of patients and specialists. 1999 http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/IDF_survey_complete.pdf
- Immune Deficiency Foundation. Primary immune deficiency diseases in America: the second national survey of patients and specialists. 2003 http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/IDF_survey_complete.pdf
- Population Prevalence of Diagnosed Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases in the United States
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Clinical Immunology
Volume 27, Issue 5 , pp 497-502
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases
- prevalence in the United States
- Industry Sectors