Teleconnection of IOD signal in the upper troposphere over southern high latitudes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Evidence has been found for the teleconnection of Indian Ocean Dipole mode (IOD) events in the southern high latitude sea surface pressure field, although the mechanisms that might lead to such far-reaching links remain unresolved. Based on the teleconnection pattern between IOD and the climate anomaly in the upper troposphere, we propose one such mechanism here: the energy propagation theory of the atmospheric planetary wave. Ray traces of the atmospheric planetary waves suggest that the energy propagation of the waves could be responsible for the teleconnection between IOD and tropospheric climate anomalies in southern high latitudes.
- Hoskins, B. J. and D. J. Karoly (1981): The steady linear response of a spherical atmosphere to thermal and orographic forcing. J Atmos. Sci., 38, 1179–1196. CrossRef
- Kalnay, E. et al. (1996): The NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis 40-year Project. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 77, 437–471. CrossRef
- Liu, J. P., X. J. Yuan, D. Rind and D. G. Martinson (2002): Mechanism study of the ENSO and southern high latitude climate teleconnections. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(14), 1679, 10.1029/2002GL015143. CrossRef
- Liu, N., H. X. Chen, J. Z. Min et al. (2005): Spatial teleconnection pattern between IOD and the southern high-latitude sea level pressure field. Progress in Natural Science, 15(12), 93–97.
- Murtugudde, R., J. P. McCreary and A. J. Busalacchi (2000): Oceanic processes associated with anomalous events in the Indian Ocean with relevance to 1997–1998. J. Geophys. Res., 105, 3295–3306. CrossRef
- Saji, N. H. and T. Yamagata (2003): Possible impacts of Indian Ocean Dipole mode events on global climate. Climate. Res., 25(2), 151–169.
- Saji, N. H., B. N. Goswami, P. N. Vinayachandran et al. (1999): A Dipole Mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature, 401(23), 360–363.
- Saji, N. H., T. Ambrizzi and S. Simone (2005): Indian Ocean Dipole Mode events and austral surface temperature anomalies. Dyn. Atmo. Oceans, 39(1–2), 87–102. CrossRef
- Wang, C. (2002): Atmospheric circulation cells associated with the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. J. Climate, 15, 399–419. CrossRef
- Webster, P. J., M. M. Andrew, P. L. Johannes et al. (1999): Coupled ocean-atmosphere dynamics in the Indian Ocean during 1997–98. Nature, 40, 356–360. CrossRef
- Teleconnection of IOD signal in the upper troposphere over southern high latitudes
Journal of Oceanography
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 155-157
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Consultants Bureau
- Additional Links
- Indian Ocean Dipole Mode
- southern high latitudes
- upper troposphere