A Computer-Glimpse of the Origin of Life
- Christoph Kuhn
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Evolution is assumed to begin in a very particular compartmentalized location with periodic conditions. A highly diversified world is the driving force for the continuous increase in complexity by colonizing increasingly less favourable regions. Modeling the “origin-of-life” a Darwinian cyclic process is simulated (multiplication with sporadic errors followed by a construction and selection).
Starting from a RNA-world (R-strands of R1 and R2 monomers building Hairpin-Assembler devices) and introducing another kind of monomers (A1 and A2 which interlink to the Hairpin-Assembler devices such that they become bound and form an A-oligomer) it is shown that a simple translation apparatus evolves producing enzymes (specific sequences of A1 and A2 monomers given by the sequences of R1 and R2 monomers on the assembler-strands). Later on D-strands are introduced, which are not capable of participating in the synthesis of A-oligomers. These D-strands become carriers of the genetic information and induce the formation of increasingly complex entities of functionally interplaying components.
- Kuhn, H. and Waser, J.: Self-Organization of Matter and Early Evolution of Life, in W. Hoppe, W. Lohmann, H. Markl and H. Ziegler (eds.) Biophysics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983, pp. 830–874.
- Kuhn, H. and Waser, J.: A model of the origin of life and perspectives in supramolecular engineering in J.-P. Behr (ed.) Lock-and-Key Principle, Wiley, Chichester, 1994, pp. 247–306.
- Kuhn, C.: Computer-Modelling Origin of a Simple Genetic Apparatus, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 98 (2001), 8620–8626.
- Kuhn, H. and Kuhn, C.: Diversified World: Drive of Life's Origin?! Angew. Chemical International Edition 42 (2003), 262–266.
- A Computer-Glimpse of the Origin of Life
Journal of Biological Physics
Volume 31, Issue 3-4 , pp 571-585
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- origin of life
- genetic apparatus
- genetic code
- emergence and storage of information
- self organisation
- fundamental conditions
- RNA world
- assembler-hairpin-enzyme device
- RNA-protein world
- DNA-RNA-protein world
- computer simulation
- Christoph Kuhn (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute für Molekularbiologie und Biophysik, Gruppe Biophysik, ETH–Hönggerberg, CH 8093, Zürich, Switzerland