Survival Chances of Mutants Starting With One Individual
- Christoph Kuhn
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A simple theoretical model of a Darwinian system (a periodic system with a multiplication phase and a selection phase) of entities (initial form of polymer strand, primary mutant and satellite mutants) is given.
First case: one mutant is considered. One individual of the mutant appears in the multiplication phase of the first generation. The probabilities to find N mutants W n M(N) after the multiplication phase M of the n-th generation (with probability δ of an error in the replication, where all possible errors are fatal errors) and W n S(N) after the following selection phase S (with probability β that one individual survives) are given iteratively. The evolutionary tree is evaluated. Averages from the distributions and the probability of extinction W ∞ S(0) are obtained.
Second case: two mutants are considered (primary mutant and new form). One individual of the primary mutant appears in the multiplication phase of the first generation. The probabilities to find N p primary mutants and N m of the new form W n M(N p, N m) after the multiplication phase M of the n-th generation (probability ε of an error in the replication of the primary mutant giving the new form) and W n S(N p, N m) after the following selection phase S (probabilities βp and βm that one individual each of the primary mutant and of the new form survives) are given iteratively. Again the evolutionary tree is evaluated. Averages from the distributions are obtained.
- Kuhn, H. and Waser, J.: Self-Organization of Matter and Early Evolution of Life, in W. Hoppe, W. Lohmann, H. Markl and H. Ziegler (eds.), Biophysics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983, pp. 830–874.
- Kuhn, H. and Waser, J.: A Model of the Origin of Life and Perspectives in Supramolecular Engineering, in J. -P. Behr (ed.), Lock-and-key principle, Wiley, Chichester, 1994, pp. 247–306.
- Kuhn, C.: Computer-Modeling Origin of a Simple Genetic Apparatus, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 98 (2001), 8620–8626.
- Kuhn, H. and Kuhn, C. Diversified World: Drive of Life's Origin?! Angewadte Chemical International Edition 42 (2003), 262–266.
- Survival Chances of Mutants Starting With One Individual
Journal of Biological Physics
Volume 31, Issue 3-4 , pp 587-597
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Darwinian system
- error in replication
- initial form
- primary mutant
- satellite mutants
- Bernoulli polynomial
- probability distribution
- evolutionary tree
- complementary and anti-parallel replication
- translation apparatus
- origin of life
- Christoph Kuhn (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Molekularbiologie und Biophysik, Gruppe Biophysik, ETH-Hönggerberg, CH-8093, Zürich, Switzerland