An examination of the preparation and practice of grades 7–12 mathematics teachers from the Shandong Province in China
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents the findings of a study that examined the preparation and teaching practice of ten teachers of grades 7–12 from the Shandong province in China. This study revealed that a multi-dimensional training system has been developed to help the teachers gradually build up their knowledge base for teaching. The findings of this study indicated that the prospective teacher education emphasized a deep understanding of advanced mathematics, while the teacher professional development provided meaningful and effective ongoing activities for the enhancement of teaching skills. The teacher professional development appears to be an essential supplement to the prospective teacher education for improving teachers’ performance and developing teaching expertise.
- Andreescu, T, Gallian, J, Kane, J, Mertz, J (2008) Cross-cultural analysis of students with exceptional talent in mathematical problem solving. Notices of the American Mathematical Society 55: pp. 1248-1260
- Askey, R. (1999). Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics. American Educator. Retrieved from http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/fall1999/amed1.pdf.
- Boyatzis, RE (1998) Transforming qualitative information. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Cai, J (2003) Investigating parental roles in students’ learning of mathematics from a cross-national perspective. Mathematics Education Research Journal 15: pp. 87-106 CrossRef
- Corbin, J, Strauss, A (2008) Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Han, A. (2008). Chinese mathematics pedagogy and practices: What can we learn? Retrieved from National Council of Teachers of Mathematics website: http://www.nctm.org/resources/content.aspx?id=1618.
- Hayhoe, R (1998) Teacher education in the US and China. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education & Development 1: pp. 77-80
- Hess, RD, Chang, C, McDevitt, TM (1987) Cultural variations in family beliefs about children performance in mathematics: Comparisons among People’s Republic of China, Chinese-American, and Caucasian-American families. Journal of Educational Psychology 79: pp. 179-188 CrossRef
- Hesse-Bilber, SN, Leavy, LP (2005) The practice of qualitative research. Sage, Thousands Oaks, CA
- Knowles, MS (1975) Self-directed learning. Follett, Chicago
- Ma, L. P. (1999). Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics. Mahwah New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Mak, G. C. L. (1999). Politics of curriculum: Changes in teachers education in China. Education Journal (教育学报), Winter 1998, 26(2) & Summer 1999, 27(1).
- Miles, MB, Huberman, AM (1994) An expanded sourcebook qualitative data analysis. Sage, Thousand Oaks California
- Newton, X (2007) Reflections on math reforms in the US: A cross-national perspective. Phi Delta Kappan 88: pp. 681-685
- Patton, MQ (2002) Qualitative research & evaluation methods. Sage, Thousand Oaks
- Schmidt, W. et al. (2010). Breaking the cycle: An international comparison of US mathematics teacher preparation. Published in the Center for Research in and Science Education Michigan State University.
- Schmidt, W., Houang, R., & Cogan, L (2002). A coherent curriculum. American educator, Summer 2002, 1–18.
- Shulman, LS (1987) Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Hardford Educational Review 57: pp. 1-22
- Silverman, D (2001) Interpreting qualitative data: Method for analyzing talk, text and interaction. Sage, London
- Stevenson, HW, Stigler, JW (1992) The learning gap. Summit Books, New York
- Teacher Education in China (I). (2004). Retrieved from http://big5.fmprc.gov.cn/gate/big5/np.china-embassy.org/eng/Education/t167604.htm.
- US Department of Education. (1997). From college to first-year teaching: How the United States compares to several other countries. Retrieved from http://www2.ed.gov/pubs/APEC/teachers.html.
- Yang, Y. D., Gu, L. Y., Li, J., Gao, H., & Zhang, G. X. (2008). Teacher education and mathematics teachers’ professional development. In China National Presentation at ICME-11, (pp. 117–128). Mathematics Education in China: Traditional and Reality.
- Zhang, J, Sang, Y (2001) 跨世纪中国沿海发达地区中小学教师继续教育研究 [Study on grades K-12 teachers’ continuing education in east coast developed regions of China]. Zhejiang University Press, Hanzhou
- Zhong, C, Wu, Z (2004) Understanding teachers’ development in China: An illustrative ‘snap-shot’ of three teachers’ professional lives. Hong Kong Teachers’ Center Journal (香港教师中心学报) 3: pp. 37-47
- Zhou, J, Reed, L (2005) Chinese government documents on teacher education since 1980s. Journal of Education for Teaching 31: pp. 201-213 CrossRef
- An examination of the preparation and practice of grades 7–12 mathematics teachers from the Shandong Province in China
Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 149-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Prospective teacher education
- Teacher professional development
- Teaching research activities
- Open class
- Teaching competition
- Collective lesson plan preparation
- One-on-one mentoring
- Teacher collaboration