Magnetoelastic vibrational biomaterials for real-time monitoring and modulation of the host response
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Magnetoelastic (ME) biomaterials are ferromagnetic materials that physically deform when exposed to a magnetic field. This work describes the real-time control and monitoring capabilities of ME biomaterials in wound healing. Studies were conducted to demonstrate the capacity of the materials to monitor changes in protein adsorption and matrix stiffness. In vitro experiments demonstrated that ME biomaterials can monitor cell adhesion and growth in real-time, and a long-term in vivo study demonstrated their ability to monitor the host response (wound healing) to an implant and control local cell density and collagen matrix production at the soft tissue-implant interface. This approach represents a potentially self-aware and post-deployment activated biomaterial coating as a means to monitor an implant surface and provide an adjuvant therapy for implant fibrosis.
- Zhu H, Liu J, Wang X, Xing Y, Zhang H. Applications of Terfenol-D in China. J Alloy Compd. 1997;258:49–52.
- Sandlund L, Fahlander M, Cedell T, Clark AE, Restorff JB, Wun-Fogle M. Magnetostriction, elastic moduli, and coupling factors of composite Terfenol-D. J Appl Phys. 1994;75:5656–8. CrossRef
- Tsodikov SF, Rakhovsky VI. Magnetostrictive force actuators for superprecise positioning. Proceedings ISDEIV, XVIIIth International Symposium on Discharges and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum. 1998;2:713–9.
- Metglas Incorporated, 440 Allied Drive, Conway, SC, 29526. http://www.metglas.com.
- Ong KG, Mungle CS, Grimes CA. Control of a magnetoelastic sensor temperature response by magnetic field tuning. IEEE Trans Magn. 2003;39:3414–6. CrossRef
- Grimes CA, Kouzoudis D. Remote query measurement of pressure, fluid-flow velocity, and humidity using magnetoelastic thick-film sensors. Sens Actuators. 2000;84:205–12. CrossRef
- Kouzoudis D, Grimes CA. The frequency response of magnetoelastic sensors to stress and atmospheric pressure. Smart Mater Struct. 2000;9:885–9. CrossRef
- Kouzoudis D, Grimes CA. Remote query fluid-flow velocity measurement using magnetoelastic thick-film sensor (invited). J Appl Phys. 2000;87:6301–3. CrossRef
- Grimes CA, Kouzoudis D, Mungle C. Simultaneous measurement of liquid density and viscosity using remote query magnetoelastic sensors. Rev Sci Instrum. 2000;71:3822–4. CrossRef
- Jain MK, Schmidt S, Grimes CA. Magneto-acoustic sensors for measurement of liquid temperature, viscosity, and density. Appl Acoustic. 2001;62:1001–11. CrossRef
- Stoyanov PG, Grimes CA. A remote query magnetostrictive viscosity sensor. Sens Actuators. 2000;80:8–14. CrossRef
- Ong KG, et al. Magnetism-based remote query glucose sensor. Sensors. 2001;1:138–47. CrossRef
- Cai Q, Cammers-Goodwin A, Grimes CA. A wireless remote query magnetoelastic CO2 sensor. J Environ Monit. 2000;2:556–60. CrossRef
- Cai Q, Jain MK, Grimes CA. A wireless, remote query ammonia sensor. Sens Actuators B. 2001;77:614–9. CrossRef
- Cai Q, Grimes CA. A remote query magnetoelastic pH sensor. Sens Actuators B. 2000;70:112–7. CrossRef
- Ruan C, Zeng K, Varghese OK, Grimes CA. Magnetoelastic Immunosensors: amplified mass immunosorbent assay for detection of escherichia coli O157:H7. Anal Chem. 2003;75:6494–8. CrossRef
- Ruan C, Zeng K, Varghese OK, Grimes CA. A staphylococcal enterotoxin B magnetoelastic immunosensor. Biosens Bioelectron. 2004;20:589–91. CrossRef
- Ong KG, Zeng K, Yang X, Shankar K, Ruan C, Grimes CA. Quantification of multiple bioagents with wireless, remote-query magnetoelastic microsensors. IEEE Sens J. 2006;6:514–23. CrossRef
- Blunn G, Goodship A, Pendegrass C. Development of a soft tissue seal around bone-anchored transcutaneous amputation prostheses. Biomaterials. 2006;27:4183–278. CrossRef
- Lekholm U, Darle C, Hagberg K, Nilsson P, Grndahl K, Ohrnell LO, Engstrand P, Brnemark PI. Brånemark novum: a new treatment concept for rehabilitation of the edentulous mandible. Preliminary results from a prospective clinical follow-up study. Clin Implant Dent Related Res. 1999;1:2–16. CrossRef
- Sooriakumaran S, Robinson KP, Uden M, Sullivan J. Rehabilitation of the trans-femoral amputee with an osseointegrated prosthesis: the United Kingdom experience. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2003;27:114–20. CrossRef
- Teri GRC, Cathy AP, Juliana S, Roy DB. Evaluating antimicrobials and implant materials for infection prevention around transcutaneous osseointegrated implants in a rabbit model. J Biomed Mater Res, Part A. 2009;999:942–52.
- Wynn TA. Common and unique mechanisms regulate fibrosis in various fibroproliferative diseases. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:524–9. CrossRef
- Wynn TA. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of fibrosis. J Pathol. 2008;214:199–210. CrossRef
- Chang D, Rodriguez A, Anderson J. Foreign body reaction to biomaterials. Semin Immunol. 2008;20:86–100. CrossRef
- Jauregui HO. Cell adhesion to biomaterials. The role of several extracellular matrix components in the attachment of non-transformed fibroblasts and parenchymal cells. ASAIO Trans. 1987;33:66–74. CrossRef
- Tighe BJ, Minett TW, Lydon MJ. Cellular interactions with synthetic polymer surfaces in culture. Biomaterials. 1985;6:396–402. CrossRef
- Van Luyn MJA, Harmsen M, Luttikhuizen D. Cellular and molecular dynamics in the foreign body reaction. Tissue Engineering. 2006;12:1955–1970.
- Vlaisavljevich E, Janka L, Ong K, Rajachar RM. Magnetoelastic materials as novel bioactive coatings for control of cell adhesion. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2011;58:698–704. CrossRef
- Holmes HR, Tan EL, Ong KG, Rajachar RM. Fabrication of biocompatible, vibrational magnetoelastic materials for controlling cellular adhesion. Biosensors. 2012;2:57–69. CrossRef
- Steitz SA, Speer MY, McKee MD, Liaw L, Almeida M, Yang H, Giachelli CM. Osteopontin inhibits mineral deposition and promotes regression of ectopic calcification. Am J Pathol. 2002;161:2035–46. CrossRef
- Somnath RC, Ong KG, Zeng K, Grimes CA. Quantification of blood clotting kinetics II: thromboelastograph analysis and measurement of erythrocyte sedimentation rate using magnetoelastic sensors. Sensor Lett. 2007;5:1–9.
- Omar O, Lenneras M, Svensson S, Suska F, Emanuelsson L, Hall J, Nannmark U, Thomsen P. Integrin and chemokine receptor gene expression in implant-adherent cells during early stage osseointegration. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2009;21:969–80. CrossRef
- Feril LB, Tachibana K. Use of ultrasound in drug delivery systems: emphasis on experimental methodology and mechanisms. Int J Hyperther. 2012;28:282–9. CrossRef
- Magnetoelastic vibrational biomaterials for real-time monitoring and modulation of the host response
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 1093-1104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors