Synthesis of injectable and cohesive nano hydroxyapatite scaffolds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Biomimetically synthesized nanosized hydroxyapatite particles have been converted into an injectable paste using a neutral phosphate buffer. Synthesized system manifested a self setting behavior at 37°C in 20 min and revealed a macroporous self assembled microstructure. Stability of the injectable hydroxyapatite has been confirmed in aqueous medium as well as in human blood. Effect of ball milling was also studied on the stability of the system.
- Langer R, Vacanti JP. Tissue engineering. Science. 1993;260:920–6. CrossRef
- Hutmacher DW, Schantz JT, Lam CXF, Tan KC, Lim TC. State of the at and future directions of scaffold based bone engineering from a biomaterials perspective. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2007;1:245–60. CrossRef
- Habraken W, Wolke JGC, Jansen JA. Ceramic composites as matrices and scaffolds for drug delivery in tissue engineering. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2007;59:234–48. CrossRef
- Guha AK, Singh S, Kumaresan R, nayar S, Sinha A. Mesenchymal cell response to nanosized biphasic calcium phosphate nanocomposites. Colloids Surf B 2009; 73:146–151.
- Webster TJ, Ergun C, Doremus RH, Siegel RW, Bizios R. Enhanced function of osteoclast like cells on nanophase ceramics. Biomaterials. 2001;22:1327–33. CrossRef
- Webster TJ, Siegel RW, Bizios R. Enhanced function of osteoblast on nanophase ceramics. Biomaterials. 2000;21:1803–10. CrossRef
- Sujatha G, Sinha A, Singh S. Cells behaviour in presence of nano-scaffolds. J Biomed Nanotech. 2011;7:43–4. CrossRef
- Habibovic P, de Groot K. Osteoinductive biomaterials-properties and relevance in bone repair. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2007;1:25–32. CrossRef
- Youssef JA, Salas VM, Loshiavo RG. Management of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures: vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. Oper Tech Ortho. 2003;13:222–6. CrossRef
- Bohner M, Lemaitre J, Cordey J, Gogolewski S, Ring TA, Perren SM. Potential use of biodegradable bone cement in bone surgery: holding strength of screws in reinforced osteoporotic bone. Orthopaedic Trans. 1992;16:401–2.
- Yu T, Ye J, Wang Y. Synthesis and property of a novel calcium phosphate cement. J Biomed Mater Res B. 2009;90:745–51.
- Philips FM. Minimally invasive treatments of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Spine. 2003;28:S45–53.
- Heini PF, Berlemann U. Bone substitutes in vertebroplasty. Eur Spine J. 2001;10:S205–13. CrossRef
- Bohner M, Baroud G. Injectability of calcium phosphate pastes. Biomaterials. 2005;26:1553–63. CrossRef
- Fernandez E, Gill FJ, Ginebra MP, Driessens FCM, Planell JA, Best SM. Calcium phosphate bone cements for clinical applications. Part I: solution chemistry. J Mater Sci Mater Med 1999; 10:169–176.
- Brown WE, Chow LC. Dental restorative cement pastes. US patent No. 4 518 430, 1985, American Dental Association Health.
- Bai B, Jazrawi LM, Kummer FJ, Spivak JM. The use of an injectable, biodegradable calcium phosphate bone substitute for the prophylactic augmentation of osteoporotic vertebrae and the management of vertebral compression fractures. Spine. 1999;24:1521–6. CrossRef
- Bohner M, Lemaitre J, Ring TA. Effects of sulfate, pyrophosphate and citrate ions on the physicochemical properties of cements made of beta-tricalcium phosphate-phosphoric acid water mixtures. J Am Ceram Soc. 1996;79:1427–34. CrossRef
- Hou Q, De Bank PA, Shakesheff KM. Injectable scaffold for tissue regeneration. J Mater Chem. 2004;14:1915–23. CrossRef
- Komath M, Varma HK, Sivakumar R. On the development of an apatitic bone cement. Bull Mater Sci. 2000;23:135–40. CrossRef
- Komath M, Varma HK. Development of a fully injectable calcium phosphate cement for orthopedic and dental applications. Bull Mater Sci. 2003;26:415–22. CrossRef
- Sinha A, Nayar S, Agrawal A, Bhattacharya D, Ramachandrarao P. Synthesis of nanosized and microporous precipitated hydroxyapatite in synthetic and biopolymers. J Am Ceram Soc. 2003;86:357–60. CrossRef
- Nayar S, Sinha A. Systematic evolution of a porous hydroxyapatite-poly(vinyl alcohol)–gelatin composite. Colloids Surf B. 2004;35:29–32. CrossRef
- Sinha A, Mishra T, Ravishanker N. Polymer mediated synthesis of hydroxyapatite microsphere for drug delivery. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2008;19:2008–11. CrossRef
- Chow LC, Takagi S. A natural bone cement—a laboratory novelty led to the development of revolutionary new biomaterials. J Res Nat Inst Stand Technol. 2001;106:1029–33. CrossRef
- Bohner M, Doebelin N, Baroud G. Theoretical and experimental approach to test the cohesion of calcium phosphate pastes. Eur Cells Mater. 2006;12:26–35.
- Synthesis of injectable and cohesive nano hydroxyapatite scaffolds
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 913-919
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors