Characterization of an antimicrobial dental resin adhesive containing zinc methacrylate
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study evaluates the effect of zinc methacrylate (ZM) on the degree of conversion (DC), cytotoxicity and antimicrobial activity (AA) of an experimental resin. Tetraethyleneglycol dimethacrylate was used as the experimental resin and it was photo activated using camphoroquinone and ethyl 4-dimethylamine benzoate. Additionally, 1.0, 2.5, 5.0, 10, 20 and 30 wt% of ZM was added to the various experimental resins. The DC was accessed by Fourier Transform infrared spectroscopy. For cytotoxicity, immortalized mouse fibroblasts were exposed to the experimental resin extracts. An MTT assay was used to access the cytotoxicity. The AA against Streptococcus mutans UA159 was accessed by the agar diffusion method. An improvement in the DC in all concentrations of ZM was observed. The greater the amount of ZM on the experimental resin, the less the cytotoxicity was provoked. Three ZM concentrations showed AA that exhibited various inhibition growth zones with 10, 20 (10 mm) and 30 wt% (15 mm).
- De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Lambrechts P, Braem M, Van Meerbeek B. A critical review of the durability of adhesion to tooth tissue: methods and results. J Dent Res. 2005;84:118–32. CrossRef
- Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, De Stefano Dorigo E. Dental adhesion review: aging and stability of the bonded interface. Dent Mater. 2008;24:90–101. CrossRef
- Abdalla AI, Feilzer AJ. Four-year water degradation of a total-etch and two self-etching adhesives bonded to dentin. J Dent. 2008;36:611–7. CrossRef
- De Munck J, Van Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Suzuki K, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G. Four-year water degradation of total-etch adhesives bonded to dentin. J Dent Res. 2003;82:136–40. CrossRef
- Pashley DH, Tay FR, Yiu C, Hashimoto M, Breschi L, Carvalho RM, Ito S. Collagen degradation by host-derived enzymes during aging. J Dent Res. 2004;83:216–21. CrossRef
- Fontes ST, Ogliari FA, Lima GS, Bueno M, Schneider LF, Piva E. Tetrahydrofuran as alternative solvent in dental adhesive systems. Dent Mater. 2009;25:1503–8. CrossRef
- Zanchi CH, Munchow EA, Ogliari FA, Chersoni S, Prati C, Demarco FF. Piva E development of experimental HEMA-free three-step adhesive system. J Dent. 2010;38:503–8. CrossRef
- Ogliari FA, Ely C, Petzhold CL, Demarco FF, Piva E. Onium salt improves the polymerization kinetics in an experimental dental adhesive resin. J Dent. 2007;35:583–7. CrossRef
- Carrilho MR, Carvalho RM, de Goes MF, di Hipolito V, Geraldeli S, Tay FR, Pashley DH, Tjaderhane L. Chlorhexidine preserves dentin bond in vitro. J Dent Res. 2007;86:90–4. CrossRef
- Carrilho MR, Geraldeli S, Tay F, de Goes MF, Carvalho RM, Tjaderhane L, Reis AF, Hebling J, Mazzoni A, Breschi L, Pashley D. In vivo preservation of the hybrid layer by chlorhexidine. J Dent Res. 2007;86:529–33. CrossRef
- Hebling J, Pashley DH, Tjaderhane L, Tay FR. Chlorhexidine arrests subclinical degradation of dentin hybrid layers in vivo. J Dent Res. 2005;84:741–6. CrossRef
- de Souza AP, Gerlach RF, Line SR. Inhibition of human gingival gelatinases (MMP-2 and MMP-9) by metal salts. Dent Mater. 2000;16:103–8. CrossRef
- Santos MC, de Souza AP, Gerlach RF, Trevilatto PC, Scarel-Caminaga RM, Line SR. Inhibition of human pulpal gelatinases (MMP-2 and MMP-9) by zinc oxide cements. J Oral Rehabil. 2004;31:660–4. CrossRef
- Santos MC, Souza AP, Gerlach RF, Tabchoury CM, Line SR. Inhibition of human gelatinases (matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-9) activity by zinc oxide: a possible mechanism to enhance wound healing. Br J Dermatol. 2001;145:854–5. CrossRef
- Souza AP, Gerlach RF, Line SR. Inhibition of human gelatinases by metals released from dental amalgam. Biomaterials. 2001;22:2025–30. CrossRef
- Henn S, de Carvalho RV, Ogliari FA, de Souza AP, Line SR, da Silva AF, Demarco FF, Etges A, Piva E. Addition of zinc methacrylate in dental polymers: MMP-2 inhibition and ultimate tensile strength evaluation. Clin Oral Investig. 2011. doi:10.1007/s00784-011-0551-x.
- Manhart J, Chen H, Hamm G, Hickel R. Buonocore memorial lecture. Review of the clinical survival of direct and indirect restorations in posterior teeth of the permanent dentition. Oper Dent. 2004;29:481–508.
- Zhou J, Tan J, Chen L, Li D, Tan Y. The incorporation of chlorhexidine in a two-step self-etching adhesive preserves dentin bond in vitro. J Dent. 2009;37:807–12. CrossRef
- Wiegand A, Buchalla W, Attin T. Review on fluoride-releasing restorative materials—fluoride release and uptake characteristics, antibacterial activity and influence on caries formation. Dent Mater. 2007;23:343–62. CrossRef
- Stanislawczuk R, Amaral RC, Zander-Grande C, Gagler D, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Chlorhexidine-containing acid conditioner preserves the longevity of resin-dentin bonds. Oper Dent. 2009;34:481–90. CrossRef
- Spencer CG, Campbell PM, Buschang PH, Cai J, Honeyman AL. Antimicrobial effects of zinc oxide in an orthodontic bonding agent. Angle Orthod. 2009;79:317–22. CrossRef
- Marczuk-Kolada G, Jakoniuk P, Mystkowska J, Luczaj-Cepowicz E, Waszkiel D, Dabrowski JR, Leszczynska K. Fluoride release and antibacterial activity of selected dental materials. Postepy Hig Med Dosw. 2006;60:416–20.
- Niu LN, Fang M, Jiao K, Tang LH, Xiao YH, Shen LJ, Chen JH. Tetrapod-like zinc oxide whisker enhancement of resin composite. J Dent Res. 2010;89:746–50. CrossRef
- Gioka C, Bourauel C, Hiskia A, Kletsas D, Eliades T, Eliades G. Light-cured or chemically cured orthodontic adhesive resins? A selection based on the degree of cure, monomer leaching, and cytotoxicity. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2005;127:413–9. CrossRef
- Emmler J, Seiss M, Kreppel H, Reichl FX, Hickel R, Kehe K. Cytotoxicity of the dental composite component TEGDMA and selected metabolic by-products in human pulmonary cells. Dent Mater. 2008;24:1670–5. CrossRef
- Darmani H, Al-Hiyasat AS, Milhem MM. Cytotoxicity of dental composites and their leached components. Quintessence Int. 2007;38:789–95.
- Jacobsen JA, Major Jourden JL, Miller MT, Cohen SM. To bind zinc or not to bind zinc: an examination of innovative approaches to improved metalloproteinase inhibition. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1803:72–94. CrossRef
- Characterization of an antimicrobial dental resin adhesive containing zinc methacrylate
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 22, Issue 8 , pp 1797-1802
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Operative Dentistry, CDC-Bio, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Pelotas, Rua Gonçalves Chaves, 457, Pelotas, RS, 96015-560, Brazil
- 2. Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Parana, Londrina, PR, Brazil