Study on injectable and degradable cement of calcium sulphate and calcium phosphate for bone repair
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Injectable calcium sulphate/phosphate cement (CSPC) with degradable characteristic was developed by introduction of calcium sulphate (CS) into calcium phosphate cement (CPC). The setting time, compressive strength, composition, degradation, cells and tissue responses to the CSPC were investigated. The results show that the injectable CSPC with optimum L/P ratio exhibited good injectability, and had suitable setting time and mechanical properties. Furthermore, the CSPC had good degradability and its degradation significantly faster than that of CPC in Tris–HCl solution. Cell culture results indicate that CSPC was biocompatible and could support MG63 cell attachment and proliferation. To investigate the in vivo biocompatibility and osteogenesis, the CSPC were implanted in the bone defects of rabbits. Histological evaluation shows that the introduction of CS into CPC enhanced the efficiency of new bone formation, and CSPC exhibited good biocompatibility, degradability and osteoconductivity with host bone in vivo. It can be concluded that the injectable CSPC had a significant clinical advantage over CPC, and might have potential to be applied in orthopedic, reconstructive and maxillofacial surgery, especially for minimally invasive techniques.
- Shona PY, Kurisawa M, Gao S, Chung JE, Ying JY. The development of a nanocrystalline apatite reinforced crosslinked hyaluronic acid-tyramine composite as an injectable bone cement. Biomaterials. 2009;30:822–8. CrossRef
- Habraken WJEM, De Jonge LT, Wolke JGC, Yubao L, Mikos AG, Jansen JA. Introduction of gelatin microspheres into an injectable calcium phosphate cement. J Biomed Mater Res B. 2008;87:643–55.
- LeGeros RZ. Calcium phosphate-based osteoinductive materials. Chem Rev. 2008;108:4742–53. CrossRef
- Grover LM, Gbureck U, Wright AJ, Tremayne M, Barralet JE. Biologically mediated resorption of brushite cement in vitro. Biomaterials. 2006;27:2178–85. CrossRef
- Theiss F, Apelt D, Brand B, Kutter A, Zlinszky K, Bohner M. Biocompatibility and resorption of a brushite calcium phosphate cement. Biomaterials. 2005;26:4383–94. CrossRef
- Rauschmann MA, Wichelhaus TA, Stirnal V, Dingeldein E, Zichner L, Schnettler R, et al. Nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite and calcium sulphate as biodegradable composite carrier material for local delivery of antibiotics in bone infections. Biomaterials. 2005;26:2677–84. CrossRef
- Nilsson M, Fernandez E, Sarda S, Lidgren L, Planell JA. Characterization of a novel calcium phosphate/sulphate bone cement. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002;61:600–7. CrossRef
- Gitelis S, Piasecki P, Turner T, Haggard W, Charters J, Urban R. Use of a calcium sulfate-based bone graft substitute for benign bone lesions. Orthopedics. 2001;24:162–6.
- Kelly CM, Wilkins RM, Gitelis S, Hartjen C, Watson JT, Kim PT. The use of a surgical grade calcium sulfate as a bone graft substitute: results of a multicenter trial. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2001;382:42–50. CrossRef
- Liu CS, Shao HF, Chen FY, Zheng HY. Rheological properties of concentrated aqueous injectable calcium phosphate cement slurry. Biomaterials. 2006;27:5003–13. CrossRef
- Link DP, Van Den Dolder J, Van Den B, Jeroen JJP, Mikos AG, Jansen JA, et al. Evaluation of an orthotopically implanted calcium phosphate cement containing gelatin microparticles. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008;87:760–9.
- Xu Hockin HK, Takagi S, Quinn JB, Chow LC. Fast-setting calcium phosphate scaffolds with tailored macropore formation rates for bone regeneration. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2004;68:725–34.
- Wang X, Ye J, Li X, Dong H. Production of in-situ macropores in an injectable calcium phosphate cement by introduction of cetyltrimethyl ammonium bromide. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2008;19:3221–5. CrossRef
- Bodde EW, Cammaert CT, Wolke JG, Spauwen PH, Jansen JA. Investigation as to the osteoinductivity of macroporous calcium phosphate cement in goats. J Biomed Mater Res. 2007;83:161–8. CrossRef
- del Real RP, Ooms E, Wolke JG, Vallet-Regi M, Jansen JA. In vivo bone response to porous calcium phosphate cement. J Biomed Mater Res. 2003;65:30–6. CrossRef
- Damien CJ, Parsons JR, Prewett Annamarie B, Frank Huismans, Shors Edwin C, Holmes Ralph E. Effect of demineralized bone matrix on bone growth within a porous HA material: a histologic and histometric study. J Appl Biomater. 1995;9:275–88.
- Julien M, Khairoun I, LeGeros RZ, Delplace S, Pilet P, Weiss P, et al. Physico-chemical-mechanical and in vitro biological properties of calcium phosphate cements with doped amorphous calcium phosphates. Biomaterials. 2007;28:956–65. CrossRef
- Enrique F, Maria DV, Maria MG, Jose L, Ricardo T, Juan VC, et al. Modulation of porosity inapatitic cements by the use of alpha-tricalcium phosphate-calciumsulphate dihydrate mixture. Biomaterials. 2005;26:3395–404. CrossRef
- Study on injectable and degradable cement of calcium sulphate and calcium phosphate for bone repair
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 627-634
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors