Rapid biomineralization of chitosan microparticles to apply in bone regeneration
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to prepare bone like mineral (BLM) layers rapidly on the exterior surfaces of chitosan (CS) microparticles (MPs). The CS MPs were fabricated using a scale-up double emulsification method. The CS MPs were in the spherical shape and the size of 30–60 μm. The MPs were then placed in 5× concentrated simulated body fluid (5 × SBF) and allowed to undergo biomineralization to form a BLM layers on the surface of CS MPs at 37°C over a 24 h period. The BML layers on the exterior surface of CS MPs were characterized using wide angle X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared microscopy (FTIR), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Insulin like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) was dissolved at a concentration of 1 μg/ml in 5 × SBF to incorporate into the BLM layer. The CS MPs (100 mg) were incubated in a sample of 4 ml of 5 × SBF containing IGF-1 at a concentration of 1 μg/ml for 24 h. The IGF-1 release from BML layers on CS MPs were studied by placing MPs in 4 ml of phosphate buffered saline (PBS) and incubating MPs at 37°C for 30 days. Samples (100 μl) were taken over the course of the 30 days and analyzed using Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The release IGF-1 from BML layers was in a burst manner followed by a sustained release during the 30-day period. This study suggests that the CS MPs have the potential to be used to help deliver therapeutic drugs to localized areas and hence increase and accelerate bone growth.
- De Bruijn JD, van Blitterswijk CA, Davies JE. Initial bone matrix formation at the hydroxyapatite interface in vivo. J Biomed Mater Res. 1995;29:89–100. CrossRef
- Wen HB, Moradian-Oldak J. Modification of calcium-phosphate coatings on titanium by recombinant amelogenin. J Biomed Mater Res. 2003;64:483–90.
- Liu Y, Hunziker EB, Randall NX, de Groot K, Layrolle P. Proteins incorporated into biomimetically prepared calcium phosphate coatings modulate their mechanical strength and dissolution rate. Biomaterials. 2003;24:65–70. CrossRef
- Wen HB, de Wijn JR, van Blitterswijk CA, de Groot K. Incorporation of bovine serum albumin in calcium phosphate coating on titanium. J Biomed Mater Res. 1999;46:245–52. CrossRef
- Stigter M, Bezemer J, de Groot K, Layrolle P. Incorporation of different antibiotics into carbonated hydroxyapatite coatings on titanium implants, release and antibiotic efficacy. J Control Release. 2004;99:127–37. CrossRef
- Jayasuriya AC, Shah C, Ebraheim NA, Jayatissa AH. Acceleration of biomimetic mineralization to apply in bone regeneration. Biomed Mater. 2008;3:015003. CrossRef
- Varde NK, Pack DW. Microspheres for controlled release drug delivery. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2004;4(1):35–51. CrossRef
- Patel ZS, Yamamoto M, Ueda H, Tabata Y, Mikos AG. Biodegradable gelatin microparticles as delivery systems for the controlled release of bone morphogenetic protein–2. Acta Biomater. 2008;4(5):1126–38. CrossRef
- Lee JY, Kim KH, Shin SY, Rhyu IC, Lee YM, Park YJ, et al. Enhanced bone formation by transforming growth factor-beta1-releasing collagen/chitosan microgranules. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2006;76(3):530–9.
- Mercier NR, Costantino HR, Tracy MA, Bonassar LJ. Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) microspheres as a moldable scaffold for cartilage tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2005;26(14):1945–52. CrossRef
- Silva GA, Coutinho OP, Ducheyne P, Shapiro IM, Reis RL. The effect of starch and starch-bioactive glass composite microparticles on the adhesion and expression of the osteoblastic phenotype of a bone cell line. Biomaterials. 2007;28:326–34. CrossRef
- Link DP, van den Dolder J, van den Beucken JJ, Cuijpers VM, Wolke JG, Mikos AG, et al. Evaluation of the biocompatibility of calcium phosphate cement/PLGA microparticle composites. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008;87(3):760–9.
- Conti B, Giunchedi P, Genta I, Conte U. The preparation and in vivo evaluation of the wound healing properties of chitosan microspheres. STP Pharma Sci. 2000;10:101–4.
- Jayasuriya AC, Bhat A. Optimization of scaled-up chitosan microparticles for bone regeneration, biomedical materials (in review).
- Rosen CJ, Dimai HP, Vereault D, Donahue LR, Beamer WG, Farley J, et al. Circulating and skeletal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-1) concentrations in two inbred strains of mice with different bone mineral densities. Bone. 1997;21:217–23. CrossRef
- Hock JM, Centrella M, Canalis E. Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1) has independent effects on bone matrix formation and cell replication. Endocrinology. 1988;122:254–60. CrossRef
- Jayasuriya AC, Shah C. Controlled release of insulin like growth factor-1 and bone marrow stromal cell function of bone-like mineral layers coated PLGA scaffolds. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2008;2(1):43–9. CrossRef
- Wang X, Ma J, Wang Y, He B. Structural characterization of phosphorylated chitosan and their applications as effective additives of calcium phosphate cements. Biomaterials. 2001;22:2247–55. CrossRef
- Rehman I, Bonfield W. Characterization of hydroxyapatite and carbonated apatite by photo acoustic FTIR spectroscopy. J Mater Sci: Mater Med. 1997;8(1):1–4. CrossRef
- Shin K, Jayasuriya AC, Kohn DH. Effect of ionic activity products on the structure and composition of the mineral formed on 3-D poly(lactic-co-glycolide) scaffolds. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;83(4):1076–86.
- Stigter M, de Groot K, Layrolle P. Incorporation of tobramycin into biomimetic hydroxyapatite coating on titanium. Biomaterials. 2002;23:4143–53. CrossRef
- Ohgushi H, Caplan AI. Stem cell technology and bioceramics: from cell to gene engineering. J Biomed Mater Res. 1999;48(6):913–27. CrossRef
- Machwate M, Zerath E, Holy X, Pastoureau P, Marie PJ. Insulin-like growth factor-I increases trabecular bone formation and osteoblastic cell proliferation in unloaded rats. Endocrinology. 1994;134(3):1031–8. CrossRef
- Boudignon BM, Bikle DD, Kurimoto P, Elalieh H, Nishida S, Wang Y, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I stimulates recovery of bone lost after a period of skeletal unloading. J Appl Physiol. 2007;103(1):125–31. CrossRef
- Xu JW, Zaporojan V, Peretti GM, Roses RE, Morse KB, Roy AK, et al. Injectable tissue-engineered cartilage with different chondrocyte sources. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113(5):1361–71. CrossRef
- Mercier NR, Costantino HR, Tracy MA, Bonassar LJ. A novel injectable approach for cartilage formation in vivo using PLG microspheres. Ann Biomed Eng. 2004;32(3):418–29. CrossRef
- Rapid biomineralization of chitosan microparticles to apply in bone regeneration
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 393-398
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors