Characterization of a novel calcium phosphate composite bone cement: Flow, setting, and aging properties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The flow, setting, and aging characteristics of a newly developed calcium phosphate/calcium aluminate composite orthopaedic cement were studied. The effect of vibration on the flow of the cement paste was studied and found to greatly enhance placement. The setting times of this cement were dependent on temperature and decreased with increasing temperatures. At 37∘C, the working and setting times were 6.3 ± 0.3 and 12.8 ± 0.4 minutes, respectively.
Hydration and conversion of the cement phases continued while specimens were stored under simulated, physiological conditions. A cumulative increase in mass of 8.23 ± 0.65% was observed over a 14 month test period. During this time, the cement was found to expand slightly, 0.71 ± 0.39%. X-ray diffraction was used to characterize the crystalline phases present during hydration and conversion. The calcium aluminate in the cement hydrated and formed calcium aluminate chloride hydrates, while no changes were observed in the β-tricalcium phosphate during the testing period.
- W. E. BROWN and L. C. CHOW, in “Cement Research Progress,” Westerville, Ohio, 1986, edited by P. W. Brown (American Ceramic Society) p. 352.
- A. MIRTCHI, J. LEMAITRE and E. MUNTING, Biomaterials 11 (1990) 83. CrossRef
- M. HIRANO and H. TAKEUCHI, U.S. Patent No. 5,152,836 (1992).
- Y. MIYAMOTO, K. ISHIKAWA, M. TAKECHI, M. YUASA, M. KON, M. NAGAYAMA and K. ASAOKA, Biomaterials 17 (1996) 1429. CrossRef
- J. LEMAITRE, A. MIRTCHI and A. MORTIER, Sil. Ind. Ceram. Sci. Tech. 52 (1987) 141.
- B. R. CONSTANTZ, B. M. BARR and K. MCVICKER, U.S. Patent No. 5,053,212 (1991).
- O. BERMUDEZ, M. G. BOLTONG, F. C. M. DRIESSENS and J. A. PLANELL, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 5 (1994) 144. CrossRef
- M. JARCHO, Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. 157 (1981) 259.
- P. D. COSTANTINO, C. D. FRIEDMAN, K. JONES, L. C. CHOW, H. J. PELZER and G. A. SISSON, Arch. Otol. Head. Neck. Surg. 117 (1991) 379.
- E. F. MORGAN, D. N. YETKINLER, B. R. CONSTANTZ and R. H. DAUSKARDT, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 8 (1997) 559. CrossRef
- H. YAMAMOTO, S. NIWA, M. HORI, T. HATTORI, K. SAWAI, S. AOKI, M. HIRANO and H. TAKEUCHI, Biomaterials 19 (1998) 1587. CrossRef
- K. DRAENERT, Y. DRAENERT, U. GARDE and C. ULRICH, in “Manual of Cementing Technique” (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999).
- J. STURUP, L. NIMB and J. S. JENSEN, Biomaterials 16 (1995) 845. CrossRef
- T. D. MCGEE and M. L. ROEMHILDT, U.S. Patent No. 6,723,334 (2002).
- M. L. ROEMHILDT, T. D. MCGEE and S. D. WAGNER, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 14 (2003) 137. CrossRef
- F. C. DRIESSENS, J. A. PLANELL and F. J. GIL, in “Enclyclopedic Handbook of Biomaterials and Bioengineering” edited by D. Wise, D. Trantolo, D. Altobelli, M. Yaszemski, J. Gresser and E. Schwartz (Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, 1995) p. 171.
- T. KATSUMURA, T. KOSHINO and T. SAITO, Biomaterials 19 (1998) 1839. CrossRef
- A. N. S. I. A. D. ASSOCIATION, J. Amer. Dent. Assoc. 96 (1977) 121.
- Powder Diffraction File [Computer file] JCPDS-International Centre for Diffraction Data (Newton Square, PA, 1999).
- H. POELLMANN and H. J. KUZEL, Neues Jahrb Mineral 5 (1988) 193.
- T. KINDT-LARSEN, D. SMITH and J. S. JENSEN, J. App. Biomaterials 6 (1995) 75. CrossRef
- F451-95: Standard Specification for Acrylic Bone Cement, in “Annual Book of ASTM Standards” (American Society for Testing Materials, Conshohocken, PA, 1995).
- A. CAPMAS, D. SORRENTINO and D. DADMIDOT, in “Calcium Aluminate Cements” edited by R. J. Mangabhai (E. & F. N. Spon., Cambridge, Great Britain, 1990) p. 65.
- T. KOSMAC, G. LAHAJNAR and A. SEPE, Cement and Concrete Res. 23 (1993) 1. CrossRef
- H. F. TAYLOR, in “Cement Chemistry” (Thomas Telford, New York, NY, 1997).
- H. G. MIDGLEY, in “Calcium Aluminate Cements” edited by R. J. Mangabhai (E.& F.N. Spon, Cambridge, Great Britain, 1990) p. 1.
- S. NADE, L. ARMSTRONG, E. MCCARTNEY and B. BAGGALEY, Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. (1983) 255.
- J. AUTIAN and J. E. HAMNER, J. Dent. Res. 51 (1972) 880.
- B. A. CARVALHO, P. K. BAJPAI and G. A. GRAVES, Biomedicine 25 (1976) 130.
- Characterization of a novel calcium phosphate composite bone cement: Flow, setting, and aging properties
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 11 , pp 1127-1132
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, 95 Carrigan Drive, Burlington, VT, 05403, USA
- 2. Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 50011, USA
- 3. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 50011, USA