In vivo release of rhBMP-2 loaded porous calcium phosphate cement pretreated with albumin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, the release of rhBMP-2 loaded porous Ca-P cement was studied in vitro and in vivo. We hypothesized that adsorption sites of Ca-P ceramic with high affinity for rhBMP-2 can be blocked by pretreatment of the ceramic with albumin prior to rhBMP-2 loading, which would result in weaker rhBMP-2 binding and enhanced release of rhBMP-2. Preset porous Ca-P cement discs with a diameter of 6.35 mm (volume: 75 mm3) were pretreated by incubation in a solution of 10% rat serum albumin for 24 h or in ddH2O (control group) prior to administration of 5 μg radiolabeled 131I-rhBMP-2. Release was assessed in vitro in phosphate buffered saline (PBS) and fetal calf serum and in vivo by longitudinal scintigraphic imaging of radiolabeled 131I-rhBMP-2 and gamma counting of dissected implants.
In vitro release from pretreated discs was higher during the first day. For both formulations, release in PBS was limited compared to release in serum. In vivo release considerably exceeded in vitro release. In vivo release kinetics showed no significant difference of half-lives between pretreated and control discs. Both formulations showed sustained release during at least 4 weeks. Ex vivo gamma counting of retrieved samples confirmed scintigraphic results and showed that the capsule and surrounding tissues only contained a minor fraction rhBMP-2. We conclude that 1. scintigraphy of 131I-labeled rhBMP-2 provides a reliable method for longitudinal measurement of rhBMP-2 release kinetics in vivo. 2. albumin pretreatment of porous Ca-P cement does not results in relevant increase of initial release of rhBMP-2 in vivo, and 3. preset rhBMP-2 loaded porous Ca-P cement discs exhibit one phase exponential release kinetics in the rat ectopic model, characterized by a retention of 20–30% after 4 weeks.
- M. MURATA, M. INOUE, M. ARISUE, Y. KUBOKI and N. NAGAI, Int J. Oral. Maxillofac Surg. 27 (1998) 391–396. CrossRef
- H. ULUDAG, D. D’AUGUSTA, R. PALMER, G. TIMONY and J. WOZNEY, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 46 (1999) 193–202. CrossRef
- H. ULUDAG, D. D’AUGUSTA, J. GOLDEN, J. LI, G. TIMONY, R. RIEDEL and J. M. WOZNEY, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 50 (2000) 227–238. CrossRef
- Y. KUBOKI, Q. JIN and H. TAKITA, J. Bone. Joint. Surg. Am. 83-A (1) (2001) 105–115.
- S. A. CLARKE, R. A. BROOKS, P. T. LEE and N. RUSHTON, J. Bone. Joint. Surg. Br. 86 (2004) 126–134.
- J. A. KOEMPEL, B. S. PATT, K. O’GRADY, J. WOZNEY and D. M. TORIUMI, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 41 (1998) 359–363. CrossRef
- H. C. KROESE-DEUTMAN, P. Q. RUHE, P. H. SPAUWEN and J. A. JANSEN, Biomaterials 26 (2005) 1131–1138. CrossRef
- J. LOUIS-UGBO, H. S. KIM, S. D. BODEN, M. T. MAYR, R. C. LI, H. SEEHERMAN, D. D’AUGUSTA, C. BLAKE, A. JIAO and S. PECKHAM, J. Orthop. Res. 20 (2002) 1050–1059. CrossRef
- I. ONO, T. TATESHITA and Y. KUBOKI, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 45 (1999) 337–344. CrossRef
- P. Q. RUHE, H. C. KROESE-DEUTMAN, J. G. WOLKE, P. H. SPAUWEN and J. A JANSEN, Biomaterials 25 (2004) 2123–2132. CrossRef
- H. TERHEYDEN, C. KNAK, S. JEPSEN, S. PALMIE and D. R. RUEGER, Int. J. Oral. Maxillofac. Surg. 30 (2001) 373–379. CrossRef
- S. J. MERAW, C. M. REEVE, C. M. LOHSE and T. M. SIOUSSAT, J Periodontol 71 (2000) 8–13. CrossRef
- D. R. SUMNER, T. M. TURNER, R. M. URBAN, T. TUREK, H. SEEHERMAN and J. M. WOZNEY, J. Orthop. Res. 22 (2004) 58–65. CrossRef
- U. RIPAMONTI, J. CROOKS and D. C. RUEGER, Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 107 (2001) 977–988. CrossRef
- S. D. BODEN, G. J. MARTIN J r., M. A. MORONE, J. L. UGBO and P. A. MOSKOVITZ, Spine 24 (1999) 1179–1185. CrossRef
- R. H. LI, M. L. BOUXSEIN, C. A. BLAKE, D. D’AUGUSTA, H. KIM, X. J. LI, J. M. WOZNEY and H. J. SEEHERMAN, J. Orthop. Res. 21 (2003) 997–1004. CrossRef
- A. H. REDDI and N. S. CUNNINGHAM, J. Bone. Miner. Res. 8(2) (1993) 499–502.
- H. ULUDAG, T. GAO, T. J. PORTER, W. FRIESS and J. M. WOZNEY, J. Bone. Joint Surg. Am. 83-A(1) (2001) 128–35.
- N. S. CUNNINGHAM, V. PARALKAR and A. H. REDDI, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89 (1992) 11740–4. CrossRef
- M. S. TUNG and D. SKRTIC, In: ‘Monogr Oral Sci., Octacalcium Phospate,’ edited by L. C. CHOW and E. D EANES, (Karger AG. Basel, 2001) 112–129.
- K. MISHRA, S. HANDLER and W. FUERSTENAU, Colloids Surfaces 1 (1980) 105–119. CrossRef
- S. CHANDLER and D. W. FUERSTENAU, In: ‘Adsorption on and Surface Chemistry of Hydroxyapatite,’ edited by D. N. MISRA. (Plenum Press, New York. 1984) 29–49.
- M. S. TUNG and W. E. BROWN, Caries Res. 19 (1985) 72–75. CrossRef
- R. P. DEL REAL, J. G. WOLKE, M. VALLET-REGI and J. A. JANSEN, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 3673–80. CrossRef
- P. J. FRAKER and J. C., JR. SPECK, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 80 (1978) 849–857. CrossRef
- M. E. BAKER, J. Endocrinol. 175 (2002) 121–127. CrossRef
- A. ROSENGREN, E. PAVLOVIC, S. OSCARSSON, A. KRAJEWSKI, A. RAVAGLIOLI and A. PIANCASTELLI, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 1237–1247. CrossRef
- J. R. SHARPE, R. L. SAMMONS and P. M. MARQUIS, Biomaterials 18 (1997) 471–476. CrossRef
- A. P. SERRO, M. BASTOS, J. C. PESSOA and B. SARAMAGO, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 70A (2004) 420–427. CrossRef
- B. FENG, J. CHEN and X. ZHANG, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 2499–2507. CrossRef
- M. LIND, S. OVERGAARD, K. SOBALLE, T. NGUYEN, B. ONGPIPATTANAKUL and C. BUNGER, J. Orthop. Res. 14 (1996) 343–350. CrossRef
- P. LAFFARGUE, P. FIALDES, P. FRAYSSINET, M. RTAIMATE, H. F. HILDEBRAND and X. MARCHANDISE, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 49 (2000) 415–421. CrossRef
- C. COMBES and C. REY, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 2817–2823. CrossRef
- S. RADIN, P. DUCHEYNE, P. BERTHOLD and S. DECKER, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 39 (1998) 234–243. CrossRef
- In vivo release of rhBMP-2 loaded porous calcium phosphate cement pretreated with albumin
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 919-927
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Perio-Dontology and Biomaterials, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Nuclear Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- 3. Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- 4. Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, USA
- 5. Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands