Nano- and micro-fiber combined scaffolds: A new architecture for bone tissue engineering
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One possible interesting way of designing a scaffold for bone tissue engineering is to base it on trying to mimic the biophysical structure of natural extracellular matrix (ECM). This work was developed in order to produce scaffolds for supporting bone cells. Nano and micro fiber combined scaffolds were originally produced from starch based biomaterials by means of a fiber bonding and a electrospinning, two step methodology. The cell culture studies with SaOs-2 human osteoblast-like cell line and rat bone marrow stromal cells demonstrated that presence of nanofibers influenced cell shape and cytoskeletal organization of the cells on the nano/micro combined scaffolds. Moreover, cell viability and Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) activity for both cell types was found to be higher in nano/micro combined scaffolds than in control scaffolds based on fiber meshes without nanofibers.
Consequently, the developed structures are believed have a great potential on the 3D organization and guidance of cells that is provided for engineering of 3-dimensional bone tissues.
- M. E. GOMES and R. L. REIS, Macromol. Biosci. 4 (2004) 737. CrossRef
- X. LIU and P. X. MA, Annals of Biomedical Eng. 32 (2004) 477.
- M. P. LUTOLF and J. A. HUBBELL, Nat. Biotechol. 23 (2005) 47. CrossRef
- Z. M. HUANG, Y. Z. ZHANG, M. KOTAKI and S. RAMAKRISHNA, Composites Sci. and Technology 63 (2003) 2223
- D. LI and Y. XIA, Advanced Mater. 16 (2004) 1151.
- J. A. MATTHEWS, G. E. WNEK, D. G. SIMPSON and G. L. BOWLIN, Biomacromolecules 3 (2002) 232. CrossRef
- K. OHKAWA, D. CHA, H. KIM, A. NISHIDA and H. YAMAMOTO, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 25 (2004) 1600. CrossRef
- B. MIN, S. W. LEE, J. N. LIM, Y. YOU, T. S. LEE, P. H. KANG and W. H. PARK, Polymer 45 (2004) 7137. CrossRef
- H. J. JIN, S. V. FRIDRIKH, G. C. RUTLEDGE and D. L. KAPLAN, Biomacromolecules 3 (2002) 1233. CrossRef
- W. K. SON, J. H. YOUK, T. S. LEE and W. H. PARK, Polymer 45 (2004) 2959. CrossRef
- W. LI, C. T. LAURENCIN, E. J. CATERSON, R. S. TUAN and F. K. KO, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 60 (2002) 613.
- F. YANG, R. MURUGAN, S. WANG and S. RAMAKRISHNA, Biomaterials 26 (2005) 2603.
- H. YOSHIMOTO, Y. M. SHIN, H. TERAI and J.P. VACANTI, ibid. 24 (2003) 2077. CrossRef
- W. LI, K. G. DANIELSON, P. G. ALEXANDER and R. S. TUAN, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part A 67A (2003) 1105.
- S. KIDOAKI, I. K. KWON and T. MATSUDA, Biomaterials 26 (2005) 37. CrossRef
- W. LI, R. TULI, X. HUANG, P. LAQUERRIERE and R. S. TUAN, ibid. 26 (2005) 5158.
- H. JIN, J. CHEN, V. KARAGEORGIOU, G. H. ALTMAN and D. KAPLAN, ibid. 25 (2004) 1039. CrossRef
- M. E. GOMES, R. L. REIS and A. M. CUNHA, Mater. Sci. Eng. C: Biomimet. Supramolec. Syst. 20 (2002) 19.
- M. E. GOMES, V. I. SIKAVITSAS, E. BEHRAVESH, R. L. REIS and A. G. MIKOS, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. Part A 67A (2003) 87. CrossRef
- F. ROSSO, A. GIORDANO, M. BARBARISI and A. BARBARISI, J. Cellul. Phys. 199 (2004) 174.
- A. CURTIS and C. WILKINSON, Biomaterials 18 (1997) 1573. CrossRef
- C. T. LAURENCIN, A. M. A. AMBROSIO, M. D. BORDEN and J. A. COOPER, Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 1 (1999) 46. CrossRef
- H. HARRIS, Clinica Chimica Acta 186 (1989) 133.
- T. STIGBRAND “Present Status and Future Trends of Human Alkaline Phosphatases. Human Alkaline Phosphatases.” (Alan R. Liss, New York, 1984) p.3.
- Nano- and micro-fiber combined scaffolds: A new architecture for bone tissue engineering
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 12 , pp 1099-1104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 3B's Research Group—Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics, Univ. Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710-057, Braga, Portugal
- 2. Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Minho, Campus de Azurém, 4800-058, Guimarães, Portugal
- 3. Chem. Eng. Dept. and Bioeng. Div. and TÜBİTAK-Biyomedtek: Center for Biomedical Technologies, Beytepe, Hacettepe Univ., 06532, Ankara, Turkey