Chitosan particles agglomerated scaffolds for cartilage and osteochondral tissue engineering approaches with adipose tissue derived stem cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is well accepted that natural tissue regeneration is unlikely to occur if the cells are not supplied with an extracellular matrix (ECM) substitute. With this goal, several different methodologies have been used to produce a variety of 3D scaffolds as artificial ECM substitutes suitable for bone and cartilage tissue engineering. Furthermore, osteochondral tissue engineering presents new challenges since the combination of scaffolding and co-culture requirements from both bone and cartilage applications is required in order to achieve a successful osteochondral construct.
In this paper, an innovative processing route based on a chitosan particles aggregation methodology for the production of cartilage and osteochondral tissue engineering scaffolds is reported. An extensive characterization is presented including a morphological evaluation using Micro-Computed Tomography (μCT) and 3D virtual models built with an image processing software. Mechanical and water uptake characterizations were also carried out, evidencing the potential of the developed scaffolds for the proposed applications. Cytotoxicity tests show that the developed chitosan particles agglomerated scaffolds do not exert toxic effects on cells. Furthermore, osteochondral bilayered scaffolds could also be developed. Preliminary seeding of mesenchymal stem cells isolated from human adipose tissue was performed aiming at developing solutions for chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation for osteochondral tissue engineering applications.
- M. E. GOMES, A. S. RIBEIRO, P. B. MALAFAYA, R. L. REIS and A. M. CUNHA, Biomaterials 22 (2001) 883. CrossRef
- Y. DENG, K. ZHAO, X.-F. ZHANG, P. HU and G.-Q. CHEN, ibid. 23 (2002) 4049. CrossRef
- Q. HOU, D. W. GRIJPMA and J. FEIJEN, ibid. 24 (2003) 1937. CrossRef
- H. S. YOO, E. A. LEE, J. J. YOON and T. G. PARK, ibid. 26 (2005) 1925. CrossRef
- M. NOF and L. D. SHEA, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 59 (2002) 349. CrossRef
- M. E. GOMES, V. I. SIKAVITSAS, E. BEHRAVESH, R. L. REIS and A. G. MIKOS, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 67A (2003) 87. CrossRef
- S. V. MADIHALLY and H. W. T. MATTHEW, Biomaterials 20 (1999) 1133. CrossRef
- P. B. MALAFAYA and R. L. REIS, in “Key Eng Mat” edited by B. Ben-Nissan, D. Sher and W. Walsh (Trans Tech Publications, Zurich 2003) p. 39.
- S. ZMORA, R. GLICKLIS and S. COHEN, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 4087. CrossRef
- K. F. LEONG, C. M. CHEAH and C. K. CHUA, ibid. 24 (2003) 2363. CrossRef
- I. ZEIN, D. W. HUTMACHER, K. C. TAN and S. H. TEOH, ibid. 23 (2002) 1169. CrossRef
- E. SACHLOS, N. REIS, C. AINSLEY, B. DERBY and J. T. CZERNUSZKA, ibid. 24 (2003) 1487. CrossRef
- M. BORDEN, S. F. EL-AMIN, M. ATTAWIA and C. T. LAURENCIN, ibid. 24 (2003) 597. CrossRef
- M. BORDEN, M. ATTAWIA and C. T. LAURENCIN, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 61 (2002) 421. CrossRef
- M. BORDEN, M. ATTAWIA, Y. KHAN and C. T. LAURENCIN, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 551. CrossRef
- J. E. DEVIN, M. A. ATTAWIA and C. T. LAURENCIN, J. Biomat. Sci. Polym. Ed. 7 (1996) 661.
- D. H. R. KEMPEN, C. W. KIM, L. LU, W. J. A. DHERT, B. L. CURRIER and M. J. YASZEMSKI, Mater. Sci. Forum. 426–424 (2003) 3151.
- T. A. HOLLAND, Y. TABATA and A. G. MIKOS, J. Control. Release. 91 (2003) 299. CrossRef
- R. G. PAYNE, J. S. MCGONIGLE, M. J. YASZEMSKI, A. W. YASKO and A. G. MIKOS, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 4381. CrossRef
- R. G. PAYNE, M. J. YASZEMSKI, A. W. YASKO and A. G. MIKOS, ibid. 23 (2002) 4359. CrossRef
- E. L. HEDBERG, A. TANG, R. S. CROWTHER, D. H. CARNEY and A. G. MIKOS, J. Control. Release. 84 (2002) 137. CrossRef
- T. M. MEESE, Y. HU, R. W. NOWAK and K. G. MARRA, J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed. 13 (2002) 141. CrossRef
- S. E. KIM, J. H. PARK, Y. W. CHO, H. CHUNG, S. Y. JEONG, E. B. LEE and I. C. KWON, J. Control. Release. 91 (2003) 365. CrossRef
- A. PERETS, Y. BARUCH, F. WEISBUCH, G. SHOSHANY, G. NEUFELD and S. COHEN, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 65A (2003) 489. CrossRef
- C. T. HUNG, E. G. LIMA, R. L. MAUCK, E. TAKI, M. A. LEROUX, H. H. LU, R. G. STARK, X. E. GUO and G. A. ATESHIAN, J. Biomech. 36 (2003) 1853. CrossRef
- J. K. SHERWOOD, S. L. RILEY, R. PALAZZOLO, S. C. BROWN, D. C. MONKHOUSE, M. COATES, L. G. GRIFFITH, L. K. LANDEEN and A. RATCLIFFE, Biomaterials 23 (2002) 4739. CrossRef
- P. ANGELE, R. KUJAT, M. NERLICH, J. YOO, V. GOLDBERG and B. JOHNSTONE, Tissue. Eng. 5 (1999) 545.
- J. S. TEMENOFF and A. G. MIKOS, Biomaterials 21 (2000) 431. CrossRef
- R. K. SANDERS and J. R. CRIM, Seminars in Ultrasound, CT, and MRI 22 (2001) 352. CrossRef
- J. A. BUCKWALTER, S. L. WOO, V. M. GOLDBERG, E. C. HADLEY, F. BOOTH, T. R. OEGEMA and D. R. EYRE, J. Bone and Joint Surg. Am. 10 (1993) 1533.
- L. HANGODY, P. FECZKO, L. BARTHA, G. BODO and G. KISH, Clin. Orthop. Relat. R (2001) S328.
- J. GAO, J. E. DENNIS, L. A. SOLCHAGA, V. M. GOLDBERG and A. I. CAPLAN, Tissue Eng. 8 (2002) 827. CrossRef
- T. TAGUCHI, Y. SAWABE, H. KOBAYASHI, Y. MORIYOSHI, K. KATAOKA and J. TANAKA, Mater. Sci. Eng. C 24 (2004) 881. CrossRef
- J. P. SPALAZZI, K. L. MOFFAT, S. B. DOTY and H. H. LU, in “Proceedings of the Society for Biomaterials 30th Annual Meeting Transactions” (Memphis, 2005) p. 253.
- J. JIANG, C. T. HUNG, X. E. GUO, G. A. ATESHIAN and H. H. LU, in “Proceedings of the 7th World Biomaterials Congress” (Sydney, 2004) p. 7.
- R. A. SOUSA, R. L. REIS, A. M. CUNHA and M. J. BEVIS, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 86 (2002) 2873. CrossRef
- P. B. MALAFAYA and R. L. REIS, in “Proceedings of the 7th World Biomaterials Congress” (Sydney, 2004) p. 1285.
- P. B. MALAFAYA and R. L. REIS, in “Proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Polymers-FBPS'05” (Granada, 2005) p. O19.
- P. A. ZUK, M. ZHU, P. ASHJIAN, D. A. DE UGARTE, J. I. HUANG, H. MIZUNO, Z. C. ALFONSO, J. K. FRASER, P. BENHAIM and M. H. HEDRICK, Mol. Biol. Cell 13 (2002) 4279. CrossRef
- L. J. CURRIE, J. R. SHARPE and R. MARTIN, Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 108 (2001) 1713. CrossRef
- H. REDL, in “Tissue Glues in Cosmetic Surgery” (Quality Medical Publishing Inc., St. Louis, 2004), p. 27.
- G. KAPLONYI, I. ZIMMERMAN, A. D. FRENYO, T. FARKAS and G. NEMES, Injury 19 (1988) 267. CrossRef
- Chitosan particles agglomerated scaffolds for cartilage and osteochondral tissue engineering approaches with adipose tissue derived stem cells
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 12 , pp 1077-1085
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 3B's Research Group—Biomaterials, Biomimetics and Biodegradables, Dept. Polymer Eng., Univ. of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710-057, Braga, Portugal
- 2. Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology, Donaueschingenstr. 13, A-1200, Vienna, Austria
- 3. Red Cross Transfusion Service for Upper Austria, Blumauerstr. 3-5, A-4020, Linz, Austria