Salivary bisphenol-A levels detected by ELISA after restoration with composite resin
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Bisphenol-A diglycidylether methacrylate (Bis-GMA), which is synthesized from bisphenol-A (BPA), a compound with exogenous endocrine disrupter action, is widely used as a dental material. During clinical filling with sealants and composite resins, the compounds are solidified by polymerization and then used. However, it has been noted that unpolymerized monomers may become dissolved in saliva. In this study using a competitive ELISA system, we investigated the changes in the BPA concentration in saliva after restoration with composite resins. Commercial composite resins from nine companies were tested. Mixed saliva was collected from 21 subjects. Based on the dynamics of salivary BPA detected by this ELISA system, we concluded that several tens to 100 ng/ml of BPA were contained in saliva after filling teeth with composite resin but that sufficient gargling can remove it from the oral cavity. Our data suggest that sufficient gargling after treatment is important for risk management.
- T. KAMIURA, Y. TAJIMA and T. NAKAHARA, J. Environ. Chem. 7(1997) 275.
- A. V. KRISHNAN, P. STARHIS, S. F. PERMUTH, L. TOKES and D. FELDMAN, Endocrinol. 132 (1993) 2279.
- K. L. HOWDESHELL, A. K. HOTCHKISS, K. A. THAYER, J. G. VANDENBERGH and F. S. VOM SAAL, Nature 401(1999) 763.
- F. S. VOM SAAL, P. S. COOKE, D. L. BUCHANAN, P. PALANZA, K. A. THAYER, S. C. NAGEL, S. PARMIGINI and W. V. WELSHONS, Toxicol. Ind. Health 14(1998) 239.
- Y. TAKAI, O. TSUTSUMI, Y. IKEZUKI, Y. KAMEI, Y. OSUGA, T. YANO and Y. TAKETAN, Reprod. Toxicol. 15 (2001) 71.
- N. OLEA, R. PULGAR, P. PEREZ, F. OLEA-SERRANO, A. RIVAS, A. NOVILLO-FERTRELL, V. PEDRAZA, A. M. SOTO and C. SONNENSCHEIN, Environ. Health Perspect. 104(1996) 298.
- D. NMATHANSON, P. LERTPITAYAKUN, M. S. LAMKIN, M. EDALATOPOUR and L. L. CHOW, J. Am. Dent. Assoc. 128(1997) 1517.
- A. HAMID and W. R. HUME, Dent. Mater. 13(1997) 98.
- W. SPAHL, H. BUDZIKIEWICZ and W. GEURUTSEN, J. Dent. 26(1998) 137.
- M. PELKA, W. DISTLER and A. PETSCHELT A, Clin. Oral Invest. 3 (1999) 194.
- Y. IMAI and T. KOMABAYASHI, Dent. Mater. J. 19 (2000) 133.
- M. NODA, H. KOMATSU and H. SANO, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 47(1999) 374.
- H. OHKUMA, K. ABE, M. ITO, A. KOKADO, A. KAMBEGAWA and M. MAEDA, Analyst 127(2002) 93.
- J. B. LEWIS, F. A. RUEGGEBERG, C. A. LAPP, J. W. ERGLE and G. S. SCHUSTER, Clin. Oral Invest. 3(1999) 107.
- D. ARENHOLT-BINDSLEV, V. BREINHOLT, A. PREISS and G. SCHMALZ, Clin. Oral Invest. 3 (1999) 120.
- G. SCHMALZ, A. PREISS and D. ARENHOLT-BINDSLEV, Clin. Oral Invest. 3(1999) 114.
- E. Y. FUNG, N. O. EWOLDSEN, H. A. JR. ST GERMAIN, D. B. MARX, C. L. MIAW, C. SIEW, H. N. CHOU, S. E. GRUNINGER and D. M. MEYER, J. Am. Dent. Assoc. 131(2000) 51.
- H. TARUMI, S. IMAZATO, M. NARIMATSU, M. MATSUO and S. EBISU, J. Dent. Res. 79(2000) 1838.
- A. OHSAKI and Y. IMAI, Dent. Mater. J. 18(1999) 425.
- R. PULGAR, F. OLEA-SERRANO, A. NOVILLO-FERTRELL, A. RIVAS, P. PAZOS, V. PEDRAZA, J.-M. NAVAJAS and N. OLEA, Environ. Health Perspect. 108(2000) 21.
- A. MANABE, S. KANEKO, S. NUMAZAWA, K. ITOH, M. INOUE, H. HISAMITSU, R. SASA and T. YOSHIDA, Dent. Mate. J. 19(2000) 75.
- J. H. LOBOS, T. K. LEIB and T. M. SU, Applx. Environ. Microbial. 58(1992) 1823.
- Salivary bisphenol-A levels detected by ELISA after restoration with composite resin
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 297-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Tokyo Dental College, 1-2-2 Masago, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba, 261-8502, Japan
- 2. Eiken Chemical Co., Ltd., 1381-3 Shomoishigami, Ohtawara, Tochigi, 324-0036, Japan
- 3. SRL, Inc., 2-41-19 Akebono-cho, Tachikawa-shi, Tokyo, 190-8567, Japan