Supercritical hydrothermal synthesis of organic-inorganic hybrid nanoparticles
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have developed supercritical hydrothermal synthesis method of metal oxide nanoparticles where metal salt aqueous solution is mixed with high temperature water to rapidly increase the temperature of the metal salt solution and thus reduce the reactions and crystallizations during the heating up period. By using this method, we succeeded in the continuous and rapid production of metal oxide nanocrystals.
A new method proposes to synthesize organic-inorganic fused materials based on the methods of supercritical hydrothermal synthesis. By introducing organic materials in a reaction atmosphere of supercritical hydrothermal synthesis, we successfully synthesized metal oxide nanoparticles whose surface was modified with organic materials. In supercritical state, water and organic materials form a homogeneous phase, which provides an excellent reaction atmosphere for the organic modification of nanoparticles. Modification with bio-materials including amino acids was also possible. By changing organic modifiers, particle morphology and crystal structure were changed.
This organic surface modification provides a various unique characteristics for the nanoparticles: Dispersion of nanoparticles in aqueous solutions, organic solvents or in liquid polymers can be controlled by selecting hydrophilic or hydrophobic modifiers.
- J. DUTTA AND H. HOFMANN, Nanomaterials, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, December (2003) pp. 9–20
- P. HOLISTER, J. W. WEENER, C. ROMAN AND T. HARPER, Nanoparticles, Technology White Papers', (Cientifica, October 2003) 5–7
- T. ADSCHIRI, K. KANAZAWA AND K. ARAI, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 75 (1992) 1019--1023.
- T. ADSCHIRI, Y. HAKUTA, K. SUE AND K. ARAI, The Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 3 No. (2–3) (2001) 227.
- T. ADSCHIRI AND K. ARAI, Supercritical Fluid Technology in Materials Science and Engineering, Ed. Ya-Ping Sun, Marcel Dekker INC. (2003) Tokyo.
- POSTHUMUS, W., MAGUSIN, P. C. M. M. (2004) J. Colloid and Interface Science 269: pp. 109 CrossRef
- S. P. COLOWICK AND N. O. KAPLAN, Methods in enzymology Part C; Jakoby, W. B.; ACADEMIC Press INC: New York (1987) 3--6.
- Supercritical hydrothermal synthesis of organic-inorganic hybrid nanoparticles
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 41, Issue 5 , pp 1445-1448
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors