Use of normalized porosity in models for the porosity dependence of mechanical properties
- R. W. Rice
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of normalized porosity in models for the porosity dependence of mechanical properties is addressed first for the frequently used power law expression for such dependence, i.e., E/E 0 = (1−P)n where E is the property of interest at any volume fraction porosity (P) and E 0 is the value of E at P = 0. Normalizing P by P C, the value of P at which the property of interest inherently goes to zero, giving E/E 0 = (1−P/P C)n, clearly calls attention to the importance of P C values < 1 (e.g., potentially as low as ∼ 0.2), a fact long known but inadequately recognized. Serious problems from the arbitrary use of both n and P C as fitting parameters with little or no guidance as to the dependence that n and P C (which is microstructurally sensitive) have on the type of porosity are shown. Further, porosity normalization of the power law model indicates at best limited compression of different porosity dependences into a single universal porosity dependence function and little distinguishing of property dependences as a function of the type of porosity. However, normalized porosity of minimum solid area (MSA) models gives a single universal porosity dependence. The difference in responses to P normalization of the two modeling approaches is attributed to their being based respectfully on little or no pore character and on detailed pore character. Thus, P normalization may be a valuable tool for evaluating porosity models, but must be applied in a more rigorous fashion, i.e., P C determined primarily by measurement and correlation with the type of porosity (as with MSA models) and not as an arbitrary fitting parameter as used in the evaluations of the power law model.
- Bert, C. W. (1985) J. Mater. Sci. 20: pp. 2220 CrossRef
- Rice, R. W. (1998) Porosity of Ceramics. Marcel Dekker, New York
- Phani, K. K. (1986) J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 5: pp. 747 CrossRef
- Phani, K. K., Niyogi, S. K. (1987) J. Mater. Sci. 22: pp. 257 CrossRef
- K. K. Phani and S. K. Niyogi, J. Amer. Cer. Soc. C-362-66 (1987).
- Lam, D. C., Lange, F. F., Evans, A. G. (1994) J. Mater. Sci. 77: pp. 2113
- Ostrowski, T., Ziegler, A., Bordia, R. J., Rödel, J. (1998) J. Mater. Sci. 81: pp. 1852
- Ostrowski, T., Rödel, J. (1999) J. Mater. Sci. 82: pp. 3080
- Roberts, A. P., Garboczi, E. J. (2000) J. Mater. Sci. 83: pp. 3041
- Day, A. R., Snyder, K. A., Garboczi, E. J., Thorpe, M. F. (1992) J. Mech. Phys. Solids 40: pp. 1031 CrossRef
- Snyder, K. A., Garboczi, E. J., Day, A. R. (1992) J. Appl. Phys. 72: pp. 5948 CrossRef
- Kováčik, J. (2001) J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 20: pp. 1953 CrossRef
- Rice, R. W. (1996) J. Mater. Sci. 31: pp. 102 CrossRef
- Rice, R. W. (1996) J. Mater. Sci. 31: pp. 1509 CrossRef
- Coronel, L., Jernot, J. P., Osterstock, F. (1990) J. Mater. Sci. 25: pp. 4866 CrossRef
- Berge, P. A., Bonner, B. P., Berryman, J. A. (1995) Geophy. 60: pp. 108 CrossRef
- D. J. Green, C. Nader, R. Brezny in “The Elastic Behavior of Partially-Sintered Alumina, Sintering of Advanced Ceramics,” edited by C. A. Handwerker, J. E. Blendell, W. Kaysser (Am. Cer. Soc., OH Westerville 1990) p. 347.
- Tomilov, G. M. (1977) Tr. from Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR, Neorganicheskie Materialy 13: pp. 117
- J. N. Harris and E. A. Welsh “Fused Silica Design Manual, I,” NSC Special Publication (1973) p. 5.
- Wagner, P., O’Rourke, J. A., Armstrong, P. E. (1972) J. Amer. Cer. Soc. 55: pp. 214
- E. A. Belskaya and A. S. Tarabanov “Experimental Studies Concerning the Electrical Conductivity of High-Porosity Carbon-Graphitic Materials,” Institute of High Temperatures, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Tr. from Inzhenerno-Fizicheskii Zhurnal (1971) Vol. 20, No. 4, p. 654.
- Bridge, B., Round, R. (1989) J. Mat. Sci. 8: pp. 691
- Singh, J. P., Leu, H. J., Poeppel, R. P., Van Voorhees, E., Goudey, G. T., Winsley, K., Shi, D. (1989) J. Appl. Phys. 66: pp. 3154 CrossRef
- McAlford, N., Birchall, J. D., Clegg, W. J., Harmer, M.A., Kendall, K., Jones, D. H. (1988) J. Mat. Sci. 23: pp. 761
- Use of normalized porosity in models for the porosity dependence of mechanical properties
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 40, Issue 4 , pp 983-989
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors