Cracking in and around the thermally grown oxide in thermal barrier coatings: A comparison of isothermal and cyclic oxidation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present paper the time and temperature dependent evolution of the microstructure of TBC systems and especially of post-experimentally determined physical defects in and around the TGO for both isothermal and cyclic exposure conditions are investigated. Specimens with APS- as well as with PVD-topcoats have been oxidised between 950 and 1100°C up to a maximum duration of 5000 h followed by extensive scanning electron microscopy and subsequent interactive image analysis to measure the maximum crack lengths in and around the TGO. These cracks are additionally classified with respect to their local orientation in the TGO or its vicinity. The results of isothermal and cyclic test conditions show a number of similarities in results e.g. an unsystematic occurrence of inwardly growing, “cauliflower like” oxide or the most frequently occurring type of cracks in APS systems. Nevertheless substantial differences concerning the final failure, microstructure, crack growth behaviour and finally life time of the component between isothermal and cyclic test conditions exist. Some indications were found, that for this particular bond coat occurance of inwardly growing oxide intrusions increases the adherence of the TGO.
- W. J. QUDAKKERS, A. K. TYAGI, D. CLEMENS, R. ANTON and L. SINGHEISER, in “Proc. Elevated Temperature Coatings: Science and Technology III,” edited by J. Hampikian and N. B. Dahotre (TMS, Warrendale, 1999) p. 119.
- R. ANTON, S. K. JHA, D. CLEMENS, W. MALLENER, L. SINGHEISER and W. J. QUADAKKERS, in “EFC Publications No. 27: Cyclic Oxidation of High Temperature Materials,” edited by M. Schütze and W. J. Quadakkers, (IoM Communications, London, 1999) p. 339.
- J. T. DEMASI, K. D. SHEFFLER and M. ORTIZ, “Thermal Barrier Coating Life Prediction Model,” NASA-Report, CR 182230 (1989).
- S. M. MEIER, D. M. NISSLEY and K. D. SHEFFLER, “Thermal Barrier Coating Life Prediction Model,” NASA-Report, CR 189111 (1991).
- H. ECHSLER, D. RENUSCH and M. SCHÜTZE, in “Proc. Turbomat Symposium,” published by DLR, German Aerospace Center, Institute of Materials Research (Köln, Germany, 2002) p. 152.
- M. SCHÜTZE, in Protective Oxide Scales and their Breakdown, (John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1997).
- E. BERGHOF-HASSELBÄCHER, H. ECHSLER, P. GAWENDA, M. SCHORR and M. SCHÜTZE, Prakt. Metallogr. 33 (2001) 275.
- H. ECHSLER, D. RENUSCH and M. SCHÜTZE, Mater. Sci. Tech. 20 (2004) 307.
- H. ECHSLER, in “Oxidationsverhalten und mechanische Eigenschaften von Wärmedämmschichten und deren Einfluss auf eine Lebensdauervorhersage,” Ph.D. Thesis, RWTH Aachen, ISBN 3-8322-1895-5 (Shaker, Germany, 2003).
- J. XU, Rolls-Royce Deutschland Ltd & Co KG (Dahlewitz, Germany, 2002), private communication.
- B. HEINECKE, in “Schädigung von Wärmedämmschichtsystemen mit unterschiedlichen Haftvermittlerschichten unter zyklischer Beanspruchung,” Ph.D. Thesis, TU Darmstadt, ISBN 3-8322-3450-0 (Shaker, Germany, 2004).
- Cracking in and around the thermally grown oxide in thermal barrier coatings: A comparison of isothermal and cyclic oxidation
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 41, Issue 4 , pp 1047-1058
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Werkstoffe und Verfahren der Energietechnik (IWV2), Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH, Jülich, D-52425, Germany
- 2. Karl-Winnacker-Institut der DECHEMA e.V., Theodor-Heuss-Allee 25, Frankfurt am Main, D-60486, Germany