Synthesis and characterization of dense ultra-high temperature thermal protection materials produced by field activation through spark plasma sintering (SPS): I. Hafnium Diboride
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The consolidation of HfB2 by sintering and reactive sintering using the field-activated process of the spark plasma sintering (SPS) method was investigated. Sintering of the diboride at 1900°C under a pressure of 95 MPa did not result in dense materials. In contrast, reactive sintering at 1700°C produced about 98% dense HfB2 with a 10 min hold at temperature. In contrast to previous observations, the reaction between the elements and the consolidation of the resulting diboride did not coincide, the latter occurring at a much higher temperature. The reaction mechanism between B and Hf during reactive sintering was investigated. Measured rates of growth of the HfB2 were found to be in agreement with calculated values from diffusion couple experiments, suggesting that the current did not play a significant role in the reactivity.
- S. R. LEVINE, E. J. OPILA, M. C. HALBIG, J. D. KISER, M. SINGH and J. SALEM, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 22 (2002) 2757. CrossRef
- J. R. FENTOR, SAMPE Quarterly, 2(1971) 1.
- L. KAUFMAN and H. NESOR, Technical Report AFML-69-84, AFML, WPAFB, OH, March 1970.
- P. T. B. SHAFFER, Ceram. Bull. 41(1962) 96.
- H. PASTOR AND R. MEYER, Rev. Int Htes Temp. Refract. 11 (1974) 41.
- V. A. LAVRENKO, A. D. PANASYUK, T. G. PROTSENKO, V. P. DYATEL, E. S. LUGOVSKAYA, E. I. EGOROVA, Sov. Powder Met and Met.Ceram. 21, 471 (1982). CrossRef
- M. M. OPEKA, I. G. TALMY and J. A. ZAYKOSKI, J. Mater. Sci. 39 (2004) 5887. CrossRef
- D. KALISH, E. V. CLOUGHERTY, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 52 (1969) 26.
- M. M. OPEKA, I. G. TALMY, E. J. WUCHINA, J. A. ZAYKOSKI and S. J. CAUSEY, J. Euro. Ceram. Soc. 19 (1999) 2405. CrossRef
- S. PARIS, E. GAFFET, F. BERNARD, Z. A. MUNIR, Scripta Mater. 50 (2004) 691. CrossRef
- U. ANSELMI-TAMBURINI, J. E. GARAY, Z. A. MUNIR, A. TACCA, F. MAGLIA and G. CHIODELLI, J. Mater. Res. 19 (2004) 3263. CrossRef
- Z. A. MUNIR, J. Mater. Synth. Process 1 (1993) 387.
- E. V. CLOUGHERTY, D. KALISH and E. T. PETERS, US Air Force Technical Report AFML-TR-68-190, (1968)
- U. ANSELMI-TAMBURINI, S. GENNARI, J. E. GARAY and Z. A. MUNIR, Mater. Sci. Engin. A, A394 (2005) 139. CrossRef
- M. SANNIA, R. ORRÙ, J. E. GARAY, G. CAO, Z. A. MUNIR, ibid. 345 (2003) 270. CrossRef
- G. V. SAMSONOV, G. L. ZHUNKOVSKII, Sov. Powder Metall. Met. Ceram. 6 (90) (1970) 472.
- W. CHEN, U. ANSELMI-TAMBURINI, J. E. GARAY, J. R. GROZA and Z. A. MUNIR, Mater. Sci. Eng. A394 (2005) 132.
- Synthesis and characterization of dense ultra-high temperature thermal protection materials produced by field activation through spark plasma sintering (SPS): I. Hafnium Diboride
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 41, Issue 10 , pp 3097-3104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of California, Davis, CA, 95616, USA
- 2. Department of Materials Chemistry and the High-Tech Research Center, Ryukoku University, Seta, Ohtsu, Japan
- 3. ELORET Corp., NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, 94035-1000, USA
- 4. Thermal Protection and Materials Systems Branch, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, 94035-1000, USA