A Diagrammatic Calculus of Syllogisms
- Ruggero Pagnan
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A diagrammatic logical calculus for the syllogistic reasoning is introduced and discussed. We prove that a syllogism is valid if and only if it is provable in the calculus.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Bradley Bassler O. (1998) Leibniz on intension, extension, and the representation of syllogistic inference. Synthese 116(2): 117–139 CrossRef
- De Morgan A. (1850) On the symbols of logic, the theory of the syllogism, and in particular of the copula, and the application of the theory of probabilities to some questions of evidence. Transactions of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 9: 79–127
- Englebretsen G. (1992) Linear diagrams for syllogisms (with relationals). Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 33(1): 37–69 CrossRef
- Glashoff K. (2010) An intensional Leibniz semantics for Aristotelian logic. Review of Symbolic Logic 3(2): 262–272 CrossRef
- Głazowska K. (1958) The structure of valid n-term syllogisms. Studia Logica 8: 249–257 CrossRef
- Hammer E. (1994) Reasoning with sentences and diagrams. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 35(1): 73–87 CrossRef
- Hammer, E., & Danner, N. (1996). Towards a model theory of Venn diagrams. In Logical reasoning with diagrams, volume 6 of Stud. Logic Comput. (pp. 109–127). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hobart, M. E., & Richards, J. L. (2008). De Morgan’s logic. In Handbook of the history of logic. British logic in the nineteenth century, volume 4 of Handb. Hist. Log. (pp. 283–329). Amsterdam: Elsevier/North-Holland.
- La Palme Reyes M., Macnamara J., Reyes Gonzalo E. (1994) Functoriality and grammatical role in syllogisms. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 35(1): 41–66 CrossRef
- Lemon O., Pratt I. (1998) On the insufficiency of linear diagrams for syllogisms. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 39(4): 573–580 CrossRef
- Łukasiewicz J. (1951) Aristotle’s syllogistic from the standpoint of modern formal logic. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Mendelson E. (1997) Introduction to mathematical logic. (4th ed.). Chapman & Hall/CRC, London
- Meredith C. A. (1953) The figures and moods of the n-term aristotelian syllogism. Dominican Studies 6: 42–47
- Rayside, D., & Kontogiannis, K. (2001). On the syllogistic structure of object-oriented programming. In Proceedings of the 23rd international conference on software engineering, ICSE’01 (pp. 113–122). Toronto, ON: IEEE Computer Society.
- Roberts, D. D. (1973). The existential graphs of Charles S. Peirce. In Approaches to semiotics (Vol. 27, p. 168). The Hague: Mouton.
- Shin S.-J. (1994) The logical status of diagrams. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Shin, S.-J. (1996). Situation-theoretic account of valid reasoning with Venn diagrams. In Logical reasoning with diagrams, Volume 6 of Stud. Logic Comput. (pp. 81–108). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Smyth M. B. (1971) A diagrammatic treatment of syllogistic. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 12(4): 483–488 CrossRef
About this Article
- A Diagrammatic Calculus of Syllogisms
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 347-364
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Venn-Peirce diagram
- Syllogistic diagram
- Ruggero Pagnan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. DISI, University of Genova, Genova, Italy