Symmetry in Polyadic Inductive Logic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A family of symmetries of polyadic inductive logic are described which in turn give rise to the purportedly rational Permutation Invariance Principle stating that a rational assignment of probabilities should respect these symmetries. An equivalent, and more practical, version of this principle is then derived.
- Carnap, R. (1950) Logical foundations of probability. University of Chicago Press, Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd., Chicago
- Carnap, R. A basic system of inductive logic. In: Jeffrey, R. C. eds. (1980) Studies in inductive logic and probability, vol. II. University of California Press, California, pp. 7-155
- Finetti, B. (1974) Theory of probability, vol. 1. Wiley, New York
- Gaifman, H. (1964) Concerning measures on first order calculi. Israel Journal of Mathematics 2: pp. 1-18 CrossRef
- Gaifman, H. Applications of de Finetti’s theorem to inductive logic. In: Carnap, R., Jeffrey, R. C. eds. (1971) Studies in inductive logic and probability, vol. I. University of California Press, Berkeley, pp. 235-251
- Johnson, W. E. (1932) Probability: The deductive and inductive problems. Mind 49: pp. 409-423 CrossRef
- Landes, J., Paris, J. B., Vencovská, A. (2008) Some aspects of polyadic inductive logic. Studia Logica 90: pp. 3-16 CrossRef
- Landes, J., Paris, J. B. & Vencovská, A. (2011). A survey of some recent results on spectrum exchangeability in polyadic inductive logic. Knowledge, Rationality and Action (to appear).
- Landes, J., Paris, J. B. & Vencovská, A. (2011). Representation theorems for probability functions satisfying spectrum exchangeability in inductive logic. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning (to appear).
- Nix, C. J., Paris, J. B. (2007) A note on binary inductive logic. Journal of Philosophical Logic 36: pp. 735-771 CrossRef
- Paris, J. B. & Vencovská, A. (2011). Symmetry’s end? Erkenntnis (to appear).
- Symmetry in Polyadic Inductive Logic
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 189-216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Inductive logic
- Probability logic
- Spectrum exchangeability