Syllogistic Logic with Comparative Adjectives
- Lawrence S. Moss
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper adds comparative adjectives to two systems of syllogistic logic. The comparatives are interpreted by transitive and irreflexive relations on the underlying domain. The main point is to obtain sound and complete axiomatizations of the valid formulas in the logics.
- Grädel E., Otto M., Rosen E. (1999) Undecidability results on two-variable logics. Archive for Mathematical Logic 38: 313–354 CrossRef
- Klein E. (1980) A semantics for positive and comparative adjectives. Linguistics and Philosophy 4(1): 1–45 CrossRef
- Mortimer M. (1975) On languages with two variables. Zeitschrift für Mathematische Logik und Grundlagen der Mathematik 21: 135–140 CrossRef
- Moss, L. S. (2010). Logics for two fragments beyond the syllogistic boundary. In: A. Blass, et al. (Eds.), Studies in Honor of Yuri Gurevich, Springer LNCS, 25 pp (To appear).
- Pratt-Hartmann, I., & Moss, L. S. (2009). Logics for the relational syllogistic. Review of Symbolic Logic, 2(3), 37 (To appear).
- Purdy W. C. (2006) Inexpressiveness of first-order fragments. Australasian Journal of Logic 4: 1–12
- Ziegler, S. (2008). Some completeness results in syllogistic logic. Student Reports, Research Experience for Undergraduates Program, Indiana University.
- Syllogistic Logic with Comparative Adjectives
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 397-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Syllogistic logic
- Transitive relations
- Lawrence S. Moss (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 47405, USA