Anti-dynamics: presupposition projection without dynamic semantics
- Philippe Schlenker
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Heim 1983 suggested that the analysis of presupposition projection requires that the classical notion of meanings as truth conditions be replaced with a dynamic notion of meanings as Context Change Potentials. But as several researchers (including Heim herself) later noted, the dynamic framework is insufficiently predictive: although it allows one to state that, say, the dynamic effect of F and G is to first update a Context Set C with F and then with G (i.e., C[F and G] = C[F][G]), it fails to explain why there couldn’t be a ‘deviant’ conjunction and* which performed these operations in the opposite order (i.e., C[F and* G] = C[G][F]). We provide a formal introduction to a competing framework, the Transparency theory, which addresses this problem. Unlike dynamic semantics, our analysis is fully classical, i.e., bivalent and static. And it derives the projective behavior of connectives from their bivalent meaning and their syntax. We concentrate on the formal properties of a simple version of the theory, and we prove that (i) full equivalence with Heim’s results is guaranteed in the propositional case (Theorem 1), and that (ii) the equivalence can be extended to the quantificational case (for any generalized quantifiers), but only when certain conditions are met (Theorem 2).
- Abbott B. (2000). Presuppositions as Nonassertions. Journal of Pragmatics 32: 1419–1437 CrossRef
- Abusch D. (2002). Lexical alternatives as a source of pragmatic presuppositions. In: Jackson B. (eds). Proceedings of SALT XII. Ithaca, NY: CLC Publications
- Beaver D. (2001). Presupposition and assertion in dynamic semantics. CSLI, Stanford
- Bonomi A. (2006). Truth and reference in context. Journal of Semantics 23(2): 107–134 CrossRef
- Davis, S. (Ed.) (1991). Pragmatics: A reader. Oxford University Press.
- Geurts, B. (1999). Presupposition and pronouns. Elsevier.
- Grice H.P. (1981). Presupposition and conversational implicature. In: Cole P. (eds), Radical pragmatics. New York, Academic Press, pp. 183–198
- Heim I. (1983). On the projection problem for presuppositions. In: Barlow M., Flickinger D., Wescoat M. (eds), Proceedings of the second west coast conference on formal linguistics (pp. 114–125). Reprinted in Davis 1991.
- Heim, I. (1990). Presupposition projection. In R. van der Sandt (Ed.), Reader for the Nijmegen workshop on presupposition, lexical meaning, and discourse processes. U. of Nijmegen.
- Heim I. (1992). Presupposition projection and the semantics of attitude verbs. Journal of Semantics 9(3): 183–221 CrossRef
- Kadmon, N. (2001). Formal pragmatics. Blackwell.
- Karttunen, L. (1974). Presupposition and linguistic context. Theoretical Linguistics, 1, 181–194. Reprinted in Davis 1991.
- Katzir R. (2006) Scalar implicatures and the maxim of manner. Manuscript, MIT
- Keenan, E. (1996) The semantics of determiners. In S. Lappin (Ed.), The handbook of contemporary semantic theory. Blackwell.
- Lewis D. (1979). Scorekeeping in a language game. Journal of Philosophical Logic 8, 339–359 CrossRef
- Moltmann, F. (1997). Contexts and propositions. Manuscript.
- Moltmann, F. (2003). Contexts, complex sentences, and propositional content. Manuscript.
- Schlenker P. (2006a). Transparency: An incremental theory of presupposition projection. In: Sauerland U., Stateva P. (eds), Presupposition and implicature in compositional semantics. Basingstoke UK, Palgrave Macmillan
- Schlenker, P. (2006b). Be Articulate: A pragmatic theory of presupposition projection. Manuscript, UCLA & Institut Jean-Nicod.
- Simons, M. (2001). On the conversational basis of some presuppositions. In R. Hasting, B. Jackson, & S. Zvolenzky (Eds.), Proceedings of SALT 11. CLC publications, Cornell University.
- Singh R. (2006). Eager for distinctness. Manuscript, MIT
- Soames S. (1989). Presupposition. In: Gabbay D., Guenthner F. (eds), Handbook of philosophical logic IV. Dordrecht, Reidel, pp. 553–616
- Sperber, D., & Wilson, D. (1989). La Pertinence (Communication et cognition). Minuit.
- Stalnaker, R. (1974). Pragmatic presuppositions. In M. Munitz, & P. Unger (Eds.), Semantics and philosophy. New York: New York University Press. Reprinted in Davis 1991.
- van Benthem J. (1986). Essays in logical semantics. Reidel, Dordrecht
- van der Sandt, R. (1988). Context and presupposition. Croom Helm.
- van der Sandt R. (1992). Presupposition Projection as anaphora resolution. Journal of Semantics 9(4): 333–377 CrossRef
- Anti-dynamics: presupposition projection without dynamic semantics
Journal of Logic, Language and Information
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 325-356
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Dynamic semantics
- Presupposition projection
- Philippe Schlenker (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. UCLA, Los Angeles, USA
- 2. Institut Jean-Nicod, Paris, France