Mining transposed motifs in music
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The discovery of frequent musical patterns (motifs) is a relevant problem in musicology. This paper introduces an unsupervised algorithm to address this problem in symbolically-represented musical melodies. Our algorithm is able to identify transposed patterns including exact matchings, i.e., null transpositions. We have tested our algorithm on a corpus of songs and the results suggest that our approach is promising, specially when dealing with songs that include non-exact repetitions.
- Agrawal, R., & Srikant, R. (1994). Fast algorithms for mining association rules in large databases. In 20th int. conf. on very large data bases (pp. 487–499).
- Aucouturier, J. J., & Sandler, M. (2002). Finding repeating patterns in acoustic musical signals: Applications for audio thumbnailing. In Audio engineering 22nd int. conf. on virtual, synthetic and entertainment audio (AES22) (pp. 412–421).
- Bartsch, M, Wakefield, G (2005) Audio thumbnailing of popular music using chroma-based representations. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 7: pp. 96-104 CrossRef
- Berzal, F., Fajardo, W., Jiménez, A., & Molina-Solana, M. (2009). Mining musical patterns: Identification of transposed motives. In 18th Int. symposium of foundations of intelligent systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 5722, pp. 271–280.
- Böckenhauer, HJ, Bongartz, D (2007) Algorithmic aspects of bioinformatics. Springer, New York
- Cambouropoulos, E, Crawford, T, Iliopoulos, CS (2001) Pattern processing in melodic sequences: Challenges, caveats and prospects. Computers and the Humanities 35: pp. 9-21 CrossRef
- Chu, S., & Logan, B. (2002). Music summary using key phrases. In IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP-00) (pp. 749–752).
- Dong, G, Pei, J (2007) Sequence data mining (advances in database systems). Springer, New York
- Grachten, M., Arcos, J. L., & de Mantaras, R. L. (2004). Melodic similarity: Looking for a good abstraction level. In 5th Int. Conf. on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR 2004) (pp. 210–215).
- Han, J, Kamber, M (2005) Data mining: Concepts and techniques. Morgan Kaufmann, Denver
- Hsu, J. L., Liu, C. C., & Chen, A. (1998). Efficient repeating pattern finding in music databases. In ACM 7th int. conf. on information and knowledge management (pp. 281–288).
- Jiang, L, Hamilton, HJ (2003) Methods for mining frequent sequential patterns. Advances in artificial intelligence, Lecture of Notes in Computer Sciences. Springer, Berlin, pp. 486-491
- Jimenez, A, Berzal, F, Cubero, JC (2009) Mining induced and embedded subtrees in ordered, unordered, and partially-ordered trees. Knowledge and Information Systems 4994/2008: pp. 111-120
- Levy, M, Sandler, M (2008) Structural segmentation of musical audio by constrained clustering. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing 16: pp. 318-326 CrossRef
- Meredith, D, Lemström, K, Wiggins, GA (2002) Algorithms for discovering repeated patterns in multidimensional representations of polyphonic music. Journal of New Music Research 31: pp. 321-345 CrossRef
- Narmour, E (1992) The analysis and cognition of melodic complexity: The implication realization model. Univ. Chicago Press, Chicago
- Paulus, J, Klapuri, A (2009) Music structure analysis using a probabilistic fitness measure and a greedy search algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing 17: pp. 1159-1170 CrossRef
- Pei, J., Han, J., Asl, M. B., Pinto, H., Chen, Q., Dayal, U., et al. (2001). Prefixspan: Mining sequential patterns efficiently by prefix-projected pattern growth. In 5th int. conf. on extending database technology (pp. 215–224).
- Pienimäki, A. (2002). Indexing music databases using automatic extraction of frequent phrases. In 3rd int. conf. on music information retrieval (pp. 25–30).
- Rolland, PY (1998) Discovering patterns in musical sequences. Journal of New Music Research 28: pp. 334-350 CrossRef
- Srikant, R, Agrawal, R (1996) Mining sequential patterns: Generalizations and performance improvements. Extending Database Technology 1057: pp. 3-17
- Wang, W., Yang, J., & Yu, P. S. (2001). Meta-patterns: Revealing hidden periodic patterns. In IBM research report (pp. 550–557).
- Yang, J, Wang, W, Yu, PS (2001) Infominer: mining surprising periodic patterns. 7th ACM int. conf. on knowledge discovery and data mining (SIGKDD). ACM, New York, pp. 395-400 CrossRef
- Zaki, MJ (2001) Spade: an efficient algorithm for mining frequent sequences. Machine Learning 42: pp. 31-60 CrossRef
- Zaki, MJ (2005) Efficiently mining frequent embedded unordered trees. Fundamenta Informaticae 66: pp. 33-52
- Zaki, MJ (2005) Efficiently mining frequent trees in a forest: Algorithms and applications. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 17: pp. 1021-1035 CrossRef
- Zhang, T., & Samadani, R. (2007). Automatic generation of music thumbnails. In Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE int. conf. on multimedia and expo (pp. 228–231).
- Mining transposed motifs in music
Journal of Intelligent Information Systems
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 99-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Musical mining
- Frequent pattern mining
- Industry Sectors