ST-Audit: guideline-based automatic auditing of electronic patient records
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This work presents the ST-Audit system that audits a patient record for conformance to a particular clinical guideline. The system uses ST-Guide which models a guideline as a set of states and transitions. The audit system tries to find a path in the state/transition diagram that corresponds to the actions taken by the physician, taking into consideration issues such as the unavailability of all the data needed to evaluate the transitions. The system was used to audit an outpatient clinic regarding their procedure for hypertension treatment (using the VI JNC guideline for hypertension), and the results of the number of non-compliant actions were presented and discussed. A follow up auditing showed a small but statistically significant reduction on the number of non-compliant actions for patients treated after the first audit.
- Advani, A, Musen, Y (2002) Medical quality assessment by scoring adherence to guideline intentions. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 9: pp. 92-97 CrossRef
- Advani, A., Lo, K., & Shahar, Y. (1998). Intention-based critiquing of guideline-oriented medical care. In Proceedings of the 1998 AMIA annual symposium (pp. 483–487).
- Boxwala, AA, Peleg, M, Tu, S, Ogunyemi, O, Zeng, QT, Wang, D (2004) GLIF3: A representation format for sharable computer-interpretable clinical practice guidelines. Journal of Biomedical Informatics 37: pp. 147-161 CrossRef
- Chesani, F, Lamma, E, Mello, P, Montali, M, Storari, S, Baldazzi, P Compliance checking of cancer-screening CareFlows: An approach based on computational logic. In: Teije, A eds. (2008) Computer-based medical guidelines and protocols: A primer and current trends: A primer and current trends. IOS, Fairfaxpp. 183
- Clarke, E, Grumberg, O, Peled, D (1999) Model checking. MIT, Cambridge
- Corrigan, J. M., Donaldson, M. S., & Kohn, L. T. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. National Academy Press.
- Clercq, PA, Blom, JA, Korsten, HHM, Hasman, A (2004) Approaches for creating computer-interpretable guidelines that facilitate decision support. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 31: pp. 1-27 CrossRef
- Dick, RS, Steen, EB, Demer, DE (1997) The computer-based patient record: An essential technology for health care. Washington, DC, National Academy
- Ellis, NT (1997) C.A.S.M. and C.A.S.T.: A new information based approach to clinical audit. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 54: pp. 29-38 CrossRef
- Fox, J, Johns, N, Rahmanzadeh, A (1998) Disseminating medical knowledge: The PROforma approach. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 14: pp. 157-182 CrossRef
- Grimshaw, JM, Russell, IT (1993) Effect of clinical guidelines on medical practice: A systematic review of rigorous evaluations. Lancet 342: pp. 1317-1322 CrossRef
- Groot, P, Hommersom, A, Lucas, P, Serban, R, Teije, A, Harmelen, F (2007) The role of model checking in critiquing based on clinical guidelines. 11th conference on artificial intelligence in medicine, AIME 2007. Springer, Berlin, pp. 411-420
- Hazlehurst, B, Sittig, DF, Stevens, VJ, Smith, KS, Hollis, FH, Vogt, TM (2005) Natural language processing in the electronic medical record—assessing clinical adherence to tobacco treatment guidelines. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 29: pp. 434-439 CrossRef
- Hripcsak, G, Ludemann, P, Pryor, TA, Wigertz, OB, Clayton, PD (1994) Rationale for the Arden syntax. Computers and Biomedical Research 27: pp. 291-324 CrossRef
- Johnson, P. D., Tu, S. W., Booth, N., Sugden, B., & Purves, I. N. (2000). Using scenarios in chronic disease management guidelines for primary care. In Proc. AMIA Symp. (pp. 389–393).
- Kinn, S, Lee, N, Millman, A (1995) ABC of medical computing: Using computers in clinical audit. BMJ 311: pp. 739-742
- Kuilboer, MM, Lei, J, Jongste, JC, Overbeek, SE, Ponsioen, B, Bemmel, JH (1998) Simulating an integrated critiquing system. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 5: pp. 194-202
- Kuilboer, MM, Wijk, MAM, Mosseveld, M, Lei, J (2003) AsthmaCritic: Issues in designing a noninquisitive critiquing system for daily practice. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 10: pp. 419-424 CrossRef
- Kuilboer, MM, Wijk, MAM, Mosseveld, M, Does, E, Jongste, JC, Overbeek, SE (2006) Computed critiquing integrated into daily clinical practice affects physicians’ behavior—a randomized clinical trial with AsthmaCritic. Methods of Information in Medicine 45: pp. 447-454
- Landon, BE, Normand, ST, Blumenthal, D, Daley, J (2003) Physician clinical performance assessment—prospects and barriers. JAMA 290: pp. 1183-1189 CrossRef
- McMillan, KL (1993) Symbolic model checking. Kluwer, Norwell
- Montani, S. (2007). Case-based reasoning for managing non-compliance with clinical guidelines. Proc. case-based reasoning in the health sciences workshop, International Conference on Case Based Reasoning (ICCBR), August.
- Monteiro, A, Wainer, J (2001) A conceptual framework to model chronic and long-term diseases. 8th Conference on artificial intelligence in medicine in Europe—AIME. Springer, Berlin, pp. 405-408
- Principles for best practice in clinical audit. Radcliffe Medical, Oxford
- National Institutes of Health (1997). The sixth report of the join national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bookres.fcgi/hbp/hbp.pdf.
- Ohno-Machado, L, Gennari, JH, Murphy, SN, Jain, NL, Tu, SW, Oliver, DE (1998) The guideline interchange format. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 5: pp. 357-372
- Schneider, EC, Riehl, V, Courte-Winecke, S, Eddy, DM, Sennet, C (1999) Enhancing performance measurement—NCQA’s road map for a health information framework. JAMA 282: pp. 1184-1190 CrossRef
- Schnoebelen, P (2002) The complexity of temporal logic model checking. Advances in Modal Logic 4: pp. 1-44
- Shahar, Y, Miksch, S, Johnson, P (1998) The Asgaard project: A task-specific framework for the application and critiquing of time-oriented clinical guidelines. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 14: pp. 29-51 CrossRef
- Shakib, S, Phillips, PA (2003) The Australian centre for evidence-based clinical practice generic audit tool: Auditmaker for health professionals. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 9: pp. 259-263 CrossRef
- Shiffman, RN, Liaw, Y, Brandt, CA, Corb, GJ (1999) Computer-based guideline implementation systems. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 6: pp. 104-114
- Sips, R., Braun, L., & Roos, N. (2006). Applying intention-based guidelines for critiquing. In Workshop: AI techniques in healthcare: Evidence-based guidelines and protocols. http://www.openclinical.org/cgp2006_2.html#critiquing.
- Tu, S. W., & Musen, M. A. (2001). Representation formalisms and computational methods for modeling guideline-based patient care. In B. Heller, M. Loffler, M. Musen, & M. Stefanelli (Ed.), Computer-based support for clinical guidelines and protocols: Proceedings of EWGLP 2000 (pp. 115–132). IOS Press.
- Lei, J, Musen, MA (1991) A model for critiquing based on automated medical records. Computers and Biomedical Research 24: pp. 344-378 CrossRef
- Lei, J, Musen, MA, Does, E, Bemmel, JH (1991) Review of physician decision making using data from computer-stored medical records. Lancet 338: pp. 1504-1508 CrossRef
- Wainer, J., Billa, C., Paixao, M., & Sigulem, D. (2008). ST-Guide: A framework for the implementation of automatic clinical guidelines. In 23th ACM symposium on applied computing (SAC) (Vol. 2, pp. 1325–1332).
- Wang, D, Peleg, M, Tu, SW, Boxwala, AA, Greenes, RA, Patel, VL (2002) Representation primitives, process models and patient data in computer-interpretable clinical practice guidelines: A literature review of guideline representation models. International Journal of Medical Informatics 68: pp. 59-70 CrossRef
- Woolf, SH, Grol, R, Hutchinson, A, Eccles, M, Grimshaw, J (1999) Clinical guidelines. potential benefits, limitations, and harms of clinical guidelines. BMJ 318: pp. 527-530
- ST-Audit: guideline-based automatic auditing of electronic patient records
Journal of Intelligent Information Systems
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 49-72
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Electronic patient record
- Automatic auditing
- Clinical guidelines
- Industry Sectors