Safety and efficacy of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with diabetes mellitus—single center experience
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background and objective
Little is known about the outcome of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF) in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM). We investigated the safety and efficacy of catheter ablation of AF in patients with DM.
Materials and methods
Thirty one patients with DM from a group of 263 consecutive patients undergoing a first-time catheter ablation of AF procedure were enrolled in a prospective study. The ablation protocol (guided by CARTO system) consisted in two continuous circular lesions around ipsilateral pulmonary veins.
The following clinical characteristics differed between DM and no-DM patients: age (62.0 ± 10.8 vs. 56.1 ± 10.6 years, P = 0.004), longer AF history (9.6 ± 9.3 vs. 6.7 ± 6.3 years, P = 0.024), significantly larger left atrium size (41.1 ± 7.8 vs. 38.3 ± 5.8 mm, P = 0.021), hypertension (58.1 vs. 35.8%, P = 0.018) and structural heart disease (67.7 vs. 43.5%, P = 0.011). Despite a similar AF recurrence rate in DM and no-DM patients (32.3 vs. 22.4%, P = 0.240), the ablation procedure was complicated in 28 patients (11 hematomas, three cardiac tamponades and three strokes) and the incidence of complications was significantly higher in DM than in no-DM patients (29.0 vs. 8.2%, respectively, P = 0.002). Multivariate analysis showed that DM was an independent risk factor for complications occurrence (odd ratio 5.936, 95% confidence interval 2.059 to 17.112, P = 0.001).
First catheter ablation of AF procedure in DM patients was equally efficacious than in no-DM patients. However, DM patients had a higher incidence of complications, mostly thrombotic or hemorrhagic.
- Akazawa, Y., & Akazawa, S. (2002). Diabetes in Japan and the global burden of diabetes. Nippon Rinsho, 60(Suppl 8), 93–102.
- King, H., Aubert, R. E., & Herman, W. H. (1998). Global burden of diabetes, 1995–2025: Prevalence, numerical estimates, and projections. Diabetes Care, 21, 1414–1431.
- Wen-Hang, Q. I. (2005). Retrospective investigation of hospitalised patients with atrial fibrillation in mainland China. International Journal of Cardiology, 105, 283–287. CrossRef
- Movahed, M. R., Hashemzadeh, M., & Jamal, M. M. (2005). Diabetes mellitus is a strong, independent risk for atrial fibrillation and flutter in addition to other cardiovascular disease. International Journal of Cardiology, 105, 315–318. CrossRef
- Lip, G. Y., & Varughese, G. I. (2005). Diabetes mellitus and atrial fibrillation: Perspectives on epidemiological and pathophysiological links. International Journal of Cardiology, 105, 319–321. CrossRef
- Jeong, J. H. (2005). Prevalence of and risk factors for atrial fibrillation in Korean adults older than 40 years. Journal of Korean Medical Science, 20, 26–30. CrossRef
- Ostgren, C. J., Merlo, J., Rastam, L., & Lindblad, U. (2004). Atrial fibrillation and its association with type 2 diabetes and hypertension in a Swedish community. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 6, 367–374. CrossRef
- Psaty, B. M., Manolio, T. A., Kuller, L. H., Kronmal, R. A., Cushman, M., Fried, L. P., et al. (1997). Incidence of and risk factors for atrial fibrillation in older adults. Circulation, 96, 2455–2461.
- Benjamin, E. J., Levy, D., Vaziri, S. M., D’Agostino, R. B., Belanger, A. J., Wolf, P. A. (1994). Independent risk factors for atrial fibrillation in a population-based cohort. The Framingham heart study. JAMA, 271, 840–844. CrossRef
- Pappone, C., Oreto, G., Lamberti, F., Vicedomini, G., Loricchio, M. L., Shpun, S., et al. (1999). Catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation using a 3D mapping system. Circulation, 100, 1203–1208.
- Goldberg, A., Menen, M., Mickelsen, S., MacIndoe, C., Binder, M., Nawman, R., et al. (2003). Atrial fibrillation ablation leads to long-term improvement of quality of life and reduced utilization of healthcare resources. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology, 8, 59–64. CrossRef
- Scholten, M. F., Thornton, A. S., Mekel, J. M., & Jordaens, L. J. (2006). Targets and endpoints in ablation therapy for atrial fibrillation in the light of pathophysiological mechanisms. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology, 15, 27–33. CrossRef
- Gurm, H. S., Sarembock, I. J., Kereiakes, D. J., Young, J. J., Harrington, R. A., Kleiman, N., et al. (2005). Use of bivalirudin during percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with diabetes mellitus: An analysis from the randomized evaluation in percutaneous coronary intervention linking angiomax to reduced clinical events (REPLACE)-2 trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 45, 1932–1938. CrossRef
- Prasad, A., Stone, G. W., Stuckey, T. D., Costantini, C. O., Zimetbaum, P. J., McLaughlin, M., et al. (2005). Impact of diabetes mellitus on myocardial perfusion after primary angioplasty in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 45, 508–514. CrossRef
- Flaherty, J. D., & Davidson, C. J. (2005). Diabetes and coronary revascularization. JAMA, 293, 1501–1508. CrossRef
- (1997). Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care, 20, 1183–1197.
- Ouyang, F., Bansch, D., Ernst, S., Schaumann, A., Hachiya, H., Chen, M., et al. (2004). Complete isolation of left atrium surrounding the pulmonary veins: New insights from the double-Lasso technique in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Circulation, 110, 2090–2096. CrossRef
- Lee, S. H., Tai, C. T., Hsieh, M. H., Tsai, C. F., Lin, Y. K., Tsao, H. M., et al. (2004). Predictors of early and late recurrence of atrial fibrillation after catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology, 10, 221–226. CrossRef
- Kannel, W. B., Wolf, P. A., Benjamin, E. J., & Levy, D. (1998). Prevalence, incidence, prognosis, and predisposing conditions for atrial fibrillation: Population-based estimates. American Journal of Cardiology, 82, 2N–9N. CrossRef
- Kannel, W. B., Abbott, R. D., Savage, D. D., & McNamara, P. M. (1982). Epidemiologic features of chronic atrial fibrillation: The Framingham study. New England Journal of Medicine, 306, 1018–1022. CrossRef
- Yaras, N., & Turan, B. (2005). Interpretation of relevance of sodium–calcium exchange in action potential of diabetic rat heart by mathematical model. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 269, 121–129. CrossRef
- Shimoni, Y., Hunt, D., Chuang, M., Chen, K. Y., Kargacin, G., & Severson, D. L. (2005). Modulation of potassium currents by angiotensin and oxidative stress in cardiac cells from the diabetic rat. Journal of Physiology, 567, 177–190. CrossRef
- Kipshidze, N. N., Katsitadze, G. A., & Khosroshvili, L. B. (2005). Effect of the metabolic syndrome on the electrophysiological parameters of the heart. Georgian Med News, 119, 9–13.
- Pandit, S. V., Giles, W. R., & Demir, S. S. (2003). A mathematical model of the electrophysiological alterations in rat ventricular myocytes in type-I diabetes. Biophysical Journal, 84, 832–841. CrossRef
- Glatter, K. A., & Chiamvimonvat, N. (2005). Autonomic nerve innervation and the left atrium: A mechanistic link to focal atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm, 2, 523–524. CrossRef
- Abraham, R. R., Abraham, R. M., & Wynn, V. (1986). Autonomic and electrophysiological studies in patients with signs or symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 63, 223–230. CrossRef
- Potpara, T., Marinkovic-Eric, J., Grujic, M., Radojkovic-Cirovic, B., Vujisic-Tesic, B., & Petrovic, M. (2002). Effect of diabetes mellitus in recovery and maintenance of sinus rhythm in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation. Srpski Arhiv Za Celokupno Lekarstvo, 130, 189–192.
- Sugishita, K., Shiono, E., Sugiyama, T., & Ashida, T. (2003). Diabetes influences the cardiac symptoms related to atrial fibrillation. Circulation Journal, 67, 835–838. CrossRef
- Cappato, R., Calkins, H., Chen, S. A., Davies, W., Iesaka, Y., Kalman, J., et al. (2005). Worldwide survey on the methods, efficacy, and safety of catheter ablation for human atrial fibrillation. Circulation, 111, 1100–1105. CrossRef
- DiMarco, J. P., Flaker, G., Waldo, A. L., Corley, S. D., Greene, H. L., Safford, R. E., et al. (2005). Factors affecting bleeding risk during anticoagulant therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation: Observations from the Atrial Fibrillation Follow-up Investigation of Rhythm Management (AFFIRM) study. American Heart Journal, 149, 650–656. CrossRef
- Schneider, D. J. (2005). Abnormalities of coagulation, platelet function, and fibrinolysis associated with syndromes of insulin resistance. Coronary Artery Disease, 16, 473–476. CrossRef
- Pappone, C., Rosanio, S., Augello, G., Gallus, G., Vicedomini, G., Mazzone, P., et al. (2003). Mortality, morbidity, and quality of life after circumferential pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation: Outcomes from a controlled nonrandomized long-term study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 42, 185–197. CrossRef
- Safety and efficacy of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with diabetes mellitus—single center experience
Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 41-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Atrial fibrillation
- Diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
- 2. Institute for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, 13210, USA
- 3. Ward 2nd, Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Chaoyang District, Beijing, People’s Republic of China, 100029