The Integration of On-Line Monitoring and Reconfiguration Functions into a Safety Critical Automotive Electronic Control Unit
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents an innovative application of IEEE1149.4 and the Integrated Diagnostic Reconfiguration (IDR) method to an Automotive Electronic Control Unit implemented as a fully-integrated mixed-signal system. The IEEE1149.4 test structure has been embedded and used on-line for interconnect monitoring and signal analysis. This provides higher resolution failure diagnostics enabling localised fault compensation. A novel On-Line Monitoring architecture is presented, that supports real-time testing of the critical circuit nodes. The paper concludes that fault tolerance can be integrated into mixed-signal electronic systems to handle key failure modes.
- British Standard Institute, BS5760, “Reliability of Systems, Equipment and Components,” Part 5: “Guide to Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMEA and FMECA),” 1991.
- J.J. Camargo Jr., E. Canzin, J.R. Almeida Jr., S.M. Paz, and B.A. Basseto, “Quantitative Analysis Methodology in Safety-Critical Microprocessor Applications,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 74, pp. 53–62, 2001. CrossRef
- E. Dilger, R. Karrelmeyer, and B. Straube, “Fault Tolerant Mechatronics,” in 10th IEEE International Online Testing Symposium, 2004, pp. 214–218.
- G.O. Ducoucdray and A.J. Ramirez-Angulo, “Innovative Built-In Self-Test Schemes for On-Chip Diagnosis, Compliant with IEEE1149.4 Mixed Signal Test Bus Standard,” Journal of Electronic Testing, vol. 19, pp. 21–28, 2003. CrossRef
- I. Duzevik, “Preliminary Results of Passive Component Measurement Methods Using and IEEE1149.4 Compliant Device,” http://www.national.com/appinfo/scan/files/duzevik_BTW02_paper.pdf.
- M.R. Fairchild, R.B. Snyder, C.W. Berlin, and D.H.R. Sarma, “Emerging Substrate Technologies for Harsh Environment Automotive Electronic Applications,” SAE, 2002.
- A. Grusd, “Lead Free Solders in Electronics,” http://www.4cmd.com/circuitmaterials, 2003.
- S.J. Horowitz, M.T. Dirks, D.Turley, and B. Keaton, “Thick Film Hybrid Circuit Technology: Cost Effective Assembly of Bare and Packaged ICs,” NEPCON, TAC, 1998.
- IEEE Standard 1149.4–1999, “Standard for a Mixed Signal Test Bus,” IEEE, USA, 2000.
- C. Jeffrey, A. Lechner, and A. Richardson “Reconfigurable Circuits for Fault Tolerant Systems: Factors to Consider,” in Proc. of International Mixed Signal Test Workshop, 2002, pp. 247–249.
- U. Kac and F. Novak, “Experimental Test Infrastructure Supporting IEEE1149.4 standard,” Poster presentation at European Test Workshop, 2002.
- U. Kac, F. Novak, S. Macek, and M.S. Zarnik, “Alternative Test Methods Using IEEE1149.4, in Proc. of Design and Test in Europe, 2000, pp. 463–467.
- J. Lach, W.H. Mangione-Smith, and M. Potkonjak, ‘Low Overhead Fault-Tolerant FPGA systems,” 56-125B Engineering IV, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095.
- D. Leys and S.P. Schaefer, “PWB Dielectric Substrates for Lead-Free Electronics Manufacturing,” http://www.circuitree.com/ct/cda/articleinformation/features/bnp__features__item/0,104305,00+en-uss_01dbc.html, 2003.
- J. McDemid, “Limited Access Testing: IEEE1149.4,” in Proc. of International Test Conference, 1998, pp. 388–395.
- A. Richardson, B. Betts, and E. Sharif, “Fault Tolerant & Self Testable Architectures for Zero Failure Electronics,” Automotive Electronics, IMeche Seminar Publication 1997–10, ISBN 1 86058 115 3, 4th Nov. 1997.
- E. Sharif, T. Dorey, and A. Richardson, ”An Integrated Diagnostic Reconfiguration (IDR) Technique for Fault Tolerant Mixed Signal Microsystems,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Circuits & Systems Symposium, Lisbon, 7-11th Sept. 1998, pp. 1.413–1.416, ISBN:0-7803-5008-1.
- S. Sunter, K. Filliter, J. Woo, and P. McHugh, “A General Purpose 1149.4 IC with HF Analogue Test Capabilities,” in Proc. of International Test Conference, 2001, pp. 38–45.
- K. Upadhyayula and A. Dasgupta, “Physics-of-Failure Guidelines for Accelerated Qualification of Electronic Systems,” Quality and Reliability Engineering International, vol. 14, pp. 433–447, 1998. CrossRef
- G.G. Yen and W. Feng, “Winner Take All Experts Network for Sensor Validation,” ISA Transactions, vol. 40, pp. 99–110, 2001. CrossRef
- The Integration of On-Line Monitoring and Reconfiguration Functions into a Safety Critical Automotive Electronic Control Unit
Journal of Electronic Testing
Volume 21, Issue 4 , pp 405-416
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- on-line monitoring
- fault tolerance
- boundary scan
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Microsystems Research, Engineering Department, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK
- 2. TRW Automotive, Technical Centre, Stratford Road, Solihull, B90 4GW, UK
- 3. Micro Circuit Engineering, Exning Road, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 0AU, UK