Yong Zhao: Catching up or leading the way: American education in the age of globalization
- Wei Ling Karen Lam
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Written by a Chinese academic who is familiar with the American and Chinese educational systems, Zhao’s (2009) Catching Up or Leading the Way provides a refreshing look at American education and offers a new approach for education reform in which he calls for a paradigm shift in thinking about the purposes of education. In a nutshell, Zhao’s thesis is that the No Child Left Behind reform in the US and its extension in the Race to the Top funding will deepen the problems in the American educational system rather than improve them. He laments that these reforms discard the essential elements that have made America’s education system and society successful, elements that countries with centralized education systems like China currently seek to emulate. The book’s perspective is uplifting for American educators in that it shifts the lens away from the crisis rhetoric used in education documents such as A Nation at Risk (National Commission on Excellence in Education 1983) which blame schoo
- Hargreaves, D. (2004). Personalising learning 1: Next steps in working laterally. London: Specialist Schools and Academies Trust.
- Hargreaves, A., & Shirley, D. (2009). The fourth way: The inspiring future for educational change. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. (2010). For the all-round development of every student: China’s curriculum reform of basic education in the new century. Beijing, China: Author.
- National Commission on Excellence in Education. (1983). A Nation at Risk: The imperative for educational reform. Washington, DC: US Department of Education.
- Zhao, Y. (2009). Catching up or leading the way: American education in the age of globalization. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Yong Zhao: Catching up or leading the way: American education in the age of globalization
Journal of Educational Change
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 99-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA, USA