On the temporal interpretation of Japanese temporal clause
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The interpretation of Japanese temporal clauses depends on an intricate interplay between a number of factors including, in addition to the temporal connective, the tense and aspectual properties of the embedded clause as well as the matrix clause. This paper presents a detailed survey of these interactions and a model-theoretic compositional analysis which improves significantly over previous proposals in terms of attention to empirical detail and internal simplicity.
- Arita, Setsuko. 2007. Nihongo zyôkenbun to zisêsetusê [Japanese conditionals and tensedness]. Tokyo: Kuroshio.
- Arregui, Ana, and Kiyomi Kusumoto. 1998. Tense in temporal adjunct clauses. In Proceedings of SALT VIII, ed. D. Strolovitch and A. Lawson, 1–18. Ithaca: CLC Publications.
- Beaver, David, and Cleo Condoravdi. 2003. A uniform analysis of before and after. In Proceedings of SALT XIII, ed. R. Young and Y. Zhou, 37–54. Ithaca: CLC Publications.
- Bennett, Michael, and Barbara Partee. 1978. Toward the logic of tense and aspect in English. Technical report (1972), System Development Corporation, Santa Monica, CA. Published with a new appendix by the Indiana University Linguistics Club, Bloomington.
- Condoravdi, Cleo. 2008. Punctual until as a scalar NPI. In The nature of the word, ed. K. Hanson and S. Inkelas, 631–654. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Condoravdi, Cleo. 2009. NPI licensing in temporal clauses. Ms., PARC and Stanford University.
- Csirmaz, Aniko. 2005. Semantics and phonology in syntax. Ph.D. diss., MIT.
- de Swart Henriëtte (1998) Aspect shift and coercion. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 16: 347–385 CrossRef
- de Swart Henriëtte, Molendijk Arie (1999) Negation and the temporal structure of narrative discourse. Journal of Semantics 16: 1–42 CrossRef
- Dowty, David. 1979. Word meaning and Montague grammar. Vol. 7 of Studies in linguistics and philosophy. Dordrecht: Reidel.
- Dowty David (1986) The effects of aspectual class on the temporal structure of discourse: Semantics or pragmatics?. Linguistics and Philosophy 9: 37–61
- Gennari Silvia (2003) Tense meanings and temporal interpretation. Journal of Semantics 20: 35–71 CrossRef
- Jackson, Eric Maurice. 2005. Resultatives, derived statives, and lexical semantic structure. Ph.D. diss., UCLA.
- Kamp Hans, Reyle Uwe (1993) From discourse to logic. Kluwer, Dordrecht
- Katz, Graham. 1995. Stativity, genericity, and temporal reference. Ph.D. diss., University of Rochester.
- Katz, Graham. 2000. Anti neo-Davidsonianism: Against a Davidsonian semantics for state sentences. In Events as grammatical objects, ed. C. Tenny and J. Pustejovski, 393–416. Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Kaufmann Stefan (2005) Conditional truth and future reference. Journal of Semantics 22: 231–280 CrossRef
- Kaufmann, Stefan, and Yukinori Takubo. 2007. Non-veridical uses of Japanese expressions of temporal precedence. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth Conference in Japanese/Korean Linguistics, ed. N.H. McGloin and J. Mori, 358–369. Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Kratzer, Angelika. 1981. The notional category of modality. In Words, worlds, and contexts, ed. J.J. Eikmeyer and H. Riesner, 38–74. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- Kudô, Mayumi. 1995. Asupekuto, tensu taikei to tekusuto: Gendai nihongo no zikan no hyôgen [Aspect, tense system, and text: The expression of time in contemporary Japanese]. Tokyo: Hituzi Syobô.
- Kusumoto, Kiyomi. 1999. Tense in embedded contexts. Ph.D. diss., University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Landman, Fred. 1991. Structures for semantics. Vol. 45 of Studies in linguistics and philosophy. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Link, Godehard. 1987. Algebraic semantics of event structures. In Proceedings of the Sixth Amsterdam Colloquium, ed. J. Groenendijk, M. Stokhof, and F. Veltman, 243–262. Amsterdam: ITLI. Reprinted in Link, Godehard. 1998. Algebraic semantics in language and philosophy. Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Matsumoto, Keiji. 1985. A study of tense and aspect in Japanese. Ph.D. diss., USC.
- Moltman Frederike (1991) Measure adverbials. Linguistics and Philosophy 14: 629–660 CrossRef
- Nakau, Minoru. 1976. Tense, aspect, and modality. In Tense, aspect, and modality. Vol. 5 of Syntax and semantics, ed. M. Shibatani, 421–482. New York: Academic Press.
- Ogihara, Toshiyuki. 1989. Temporal reference in English and Japanese. Ph.D. diss., University of Texas at Austin.
- Ogihara, Toshiyuki. 1994. Adverbs of quantification and sequence-of-tense phenomena. In Proceedings of SALT IV, ed. M. Harvey and L. Santelmann, 251–267. Ithaca: CLC Publications.
- Ogihara, Toshiyuki. 1995a. Non-factual before and adverbs of quantification. In Proceedings of SALT V, ed. M. Simons and T. Galloway, 273–291. Ithaca: CLC Publications.
- Ogihara Toshiyuki (1995b) The semantics of tense in embedded clauses. Linguistic Inquiry 26: 663–679
- Ogihara Toshiyuki (1996) Tense, attitudes, and scope. Kluwer, Dordrecht
- Ogihara, Toshiyuki. 1999. Tense and aspect. In The handbook of Japanese linguistics, ed. N. Tsujimura, 326–348. Malden: Blackwell.
- Ota Akira (1973) Tense correlations in English and Japanese. Studies in English Linguistics 2: 108–121
- Smith, Carlota S. 1991. The parameter of aspect. Vol. 43 of Studies in linguistics and philosophy. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Soga Matsuo (1983) Tense and aspect in modern colloquial Japanese. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver
- Takubo, Yukinori. In press. Nihongo no tensu to asupekuto: Sanyôten o arawasu tokoro-da wo chûsin ni [Tense and aspect in Japanese: Tokoro-da as a reference point marker]. Ilbon-Mwunhwa-Yengwu [Journal of the Association of Japanology in East Asia].
- van Benthem, Johan. 1983. The logic of time: A model-theoretic investigation into the varieties of temporal ontology and temporal discourse. Vol. 156 of Synthese library. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Verkuyl Henk (1993) A theory of aspectuality. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Verkuyl Henk (1999) Aspectual issues. CSLI Publications, Stanford
- On the temporal interpretation of Japanese temporal clause
Journal of East Asian Linguistics
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 33-76
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Temporal clauses
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Linguistics, Northwestern University, 2016 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL, 60208, USA
- 2. Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, Wieboldt 301 M, 1050 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL, 60637, USA