Dimension-denoting classifiers in Taiwanese compound adjectives
- Chen-Sheng Luther Liu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper analyzes Taiwanese A-CL sequences as compound adjectives by treating the classifier inside such sequences as a dimension provider and the adjective as involving an ordering function. Combined with the assumption that classifiers occurring as the CL of A-CL compound adjectives should be divided into single-dimension denoting and multi-dimension denoting elements, the analysis provides a rationale for why the adjectives permitted in A-CL compound adjectives have the interesting and otherwise perplexing property of being so limited in number.
- Chao Yuen-Ren (1968) A grammar of spoken Chinese. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Cheng Susie S. (1981) A study of Taiwanese adjectives. Student Book Co., Ltd., Taipei
- Cheng Robert L. (1997) Taiwanese and Mandarin structures and their development trends in Taiwan I: Taiwanese phonology and morphology. Yuan-Liou Publishing Co., Ltd., Taipei
- Cheng, Robert L., Hsun-Hui Chang, Shu-Fen Fujitani, and Lian-Ying Tang. 1989. Guoyu changyong xuci ji qi Taiyu duiyingci shili [Mandarin function words and their Taiwanese equivalents]. Taipei: Crane Publishers.
- Cheng Lisa Lai-Shen, Sybesma Rint (1998) Yi-wan tang, yi-ge tang: Classifiers and massifiers. Tsing-Hua Journal of Chinese Studies 28: 385–412
- Cheng Lisa Lai-Shen, Sybesma Rint (1999) Bare and not-so-bare nouns and the structure of NP. Linguistic Inquiry 30: 509–542 CrossRef
- Cresswell, Max J. 1977. The semantics of degree. In Montague grammar, ed. Barbara Partee, 261–292. New York: Academic Press.
- Croft William (1994) Semantic universals in classifier system. Word 45: 145–171
- Doetjes, Jenny. 1997. Quantifiers and selection: On the distribution of quantifying expressions in French, Dutch and English. PhD dissertation, Leiden University.
- Hellan Lars (1981) Towards an integrated analysis of comparatives. Narr, Tübingen
- Kennedy Christopher (2007) Modes of comparison. Chicago Society of Linguistics 43: 141–165
- Kennedy Christopher, McNally Louise (2005) Scale structure, degree modification, and the semantics of gradable predicates. Language 81: 345–381 CrossRef
- Li Charles N., Thompson Sandra A. (1981) Mandarin Chinese: A functional reference grammar. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Peyraube, Alain. 1998. On the history of classifiers in Archaic and Medieval Chinese. In Studia linguistica serica, ed. Benjamin T’sou, 39–68. Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong.
- Pinkal, Manfred. 1983. On the logical structure of comparatives. In Lecture notes in artificial intelligence, ed. Rudi Studer, 146–167. Berlin: Springer.
- Rullmann, Hotze. 1995. Maximality in the semantics of wh-constructions. PhD dissertation, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Tai Hao-Yi James, Wang Lian-Qing (1990) A semantic study of the classifier tiao. Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association 25: 35–56
- Tung Tung-Ho (1957) Xiamen phonology. The Bulletin of the Institute of History and Philology 29: 231–253
- von Stechow Arnim (1984) Comparing semantic theories of comparison. Journal of Semantics 3: 1–77 CrossRef
- Yang, Hsiu-Fang. 1991. Taiwan minnan yu yufa gao [Lectures on the syntax of Taiwanese Southern Min]. Taipei: Da’an Chubanshe.
- Zhu, De-Xi. 1982. Yufa jiangyi [Lectures on Chinese syntax]. Beijing: Shangwu Yinshuguan.
- Dimension-denoting classifiers in Taiwanese compound adjectives
Journal of East Asian Linguistics
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 181-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Taiwanese A-CL sequences
- Compound adjectives
- Dimension providers
- Ordering functions
- Single-dimension denoting classifiers
- Multi-dimension denoting classifiers
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, National Chiao Tung University, 1001 Ta Hsueh Road, Hsinchu, 300, Taiwan