Licensing “gapless” bei passives
- Tzong-Hong Jonah Lin
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper investigates “gapless” bei passives in Mandarin Chinese and the way they are licensed. It is discovered that if the embedded predicate of a bei passive contains a weak NP, then the bei passive can be gapless. The proposal of this paper is that the weak NP introduces a variable, which can be bound by the operator Op at the embedded IP. Op need not move from an argument position in the embedded predicate of the bei passive; it can be merged directly to the embedded IP and bind the variable introduced by the weak NP.
- Aoun Joseph, Y.-H. Audrey Li. (1993). Syntax of scope. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Cheng, Lisa L.-S. 1991. On the typology of wh-questions. Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Diesing Molly. (1992) Indefinites. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Feng Shengli. (1995) The passive construction in Chinese. Studies in Chinese Linguistics 1: 1–28
- Hashimoto Mantaro. (1987) Hanyu beidongshi de lishi quyu fazhan [The historical and geographical development of Chinese passive constructions]. Zhongguo Yuwen 196: 36–49
- Huang, C.-T. James. 1982. Logical relations in Chinese and the theory of grammar. Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Huang, C.-T. James. 1995. Logical form. In Government and binding theory and the minimalist program, ed. Gert Webelhuth, 125–175. Oxford Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.
- Huang C.-T.James. (1999) Chinese passives in comparative perspective. Tsing Hua Journal of Chinese Studies, New Series 29(4): 423–509
- Li Charles N., Sandra A. Thompson. (1981) Mandarin Chinese. University of California Press, Berkeley Los Angeles
- Lin Jowang. (1998) Distributivity in Chinese and its implications. Natural Language Semantics 6(2): 201–243 CrossRef
- Lin T.-H.Jonah. (2005) Notes on the determiner ge and related problems. UST Working Papers in Linguistics 1: 267–294
- Liu, Fenghsi. 1990. Scope dependency in English and Chinese. Doctoral dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Milsark, Gary L. 1974. Existential sentences in English. Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Tang Sze-Wing. (2001) A complementation approach to Chinese passives and its consequences. Linguistics 39(2): 257–295 CrossRef
- Ting Jen. (1998) Deriving the bei-construction in Mandarin Chinese. Journal of East Asian Linguistics 7(4): 319–354 CrossRef
- Tsai, W.-T. Dylan. 1994. On economizing the theory of A-bar dependency. Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Licensing “gapless” bei passives
Journal of East Asian Linguistics
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 167-177
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Gapless bei passives
- Weak NP
- Empty operator
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Graduate Institute of Linguistics, National Tsing Hua University, 101, Section 2, Guangfu Road, Hsinchu, 300, Taiwan