Double auxiliaries, anteriority and terminativity
- Cecilia Poletto
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this work I analyze a construction containing an additional past participle auxiliary in Romance and German dialects and show that, although apparently similar, the semantic value of the additional auxiliary is different in the two sets of dialects: in German it is an index of terminativity, in Romance of anteriority. However, an implicational scale ruling the distribution of the additional auxiliary which goes from unergative to passive verbs (going through unaccusative verbs) is valid across all dialects shows that there is a strict relation between the two auxiliaries have and be which can be captured in terms of incorporation of a preposition/determiner as proposed by Kayne.
- Barbiers, S., O. Koeneman, and M. Lekakou. 2008. Syntactic doubling and the structure of chains. In Proceedings of the 26th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, eds. C.B. Chang, and H.J. Haynie, 77–86. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Benincà, P. 1989. Friaulisch. In Lexikon der Romanistischen linguistik, vol 3, eds. G. Holtus, M. Metzeltin, and Ch. Schmitt, 563–585. Tübingen: Niemeyer.
- Benincà, P., and C. Poletto. 2006. Phrasal verbs in Venetan and Regional Italian. In Language Variation—European Perspectives, ed. M. von Ostendoorp, 9–23. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
- Cinque, G. 1999. Adverbs and functional heads. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cinque, G. 2004. Restructuring and functional structure. In Structures and beyond. The cartography of syntactic structures, vol. 3, ed. A. Belletti, 132–191. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Giorgi, A., and F. Pianesi. 1991. Towards a syntax of temporal representation. Probus 3: 1–27. CrossRef
- Giorgi, A., and F. Pianesi. 1997. Tense and Aspect: From semantics to morphosyntax. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kayne, R. 1993. Towards a modular theory of auxiliary selection. Studia Linguistica 47: 3–31. CrossRef
- Poletto, C. 2007. Syntactic encoding of Aspect in some Northern Italian dialects. In Tiempos compuestos y formas verbales complejas chapter 11, ed. A. Carrasco. Frankfurt-Madrid: Vervuert-Iberoamericana.
- Roberts, I., and A. Roussou. 2003. Syntactic change: A minimalist approach to grammaticalization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Double auxiliaries, anteriority and terminativity
The Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 31-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Auxiliary distribution
- Past participle syntax
- Romance and German dialects
- Cecilia Poletto (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Language Science, University of Venice—CNR Padua, Ca’ Bembo, Dorsoduro, 7035, Venice, Italy