Review of Explicit Family Policies in Turkey from a Systemic Perspective
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the last decade, Turkey has been going through rapid and extensive change in policies, laws and regulations. Most has stirred substantial public debate. Although the constitution Article 41 openly states the importance of government’s role in regulating family life, very limited explicit debate around family policy issues are evident. We discuss current day direct family policies and evaluate the status of these policies from a systemic perspective. In so doing, we review the current Turkish Civil Code as well as the Law on the Protection of the Family, the relevant parts of the labor law and the healthcare policy.
- Altınay, AG, Arat, Y (2007) Türkiye’de kadına yönelik şiddet (Violence against women in Turkey). Punto Baskı Çözümleri, Istanbul
- ASAGEM. (2008a). V. Aile şurası ‘aile destek hizmetleri’ komisyon kararları (Decisions of the 5th family issues council commission on ‘family support services’). Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://aile.gov.tr/files/aile5.pdf.
- 4320 sayılı ailenin korunmasina dair kanunun ve uygulamalarının değerlendirilmesi üzerine bir araştırma (An evaluation of the Law no 4320 on the Protection of the Family and its applications). T.C. Basbakanlik Aile ve Sosyal Arastirmalar Genel Mudurlugu, Ankara
- Aile destek hizmetlerinin değerlendirilmesi ve kalite standartları geliştirilmesi (An evaluation of the family support services and development of quality standards). T.C. Basbakanlik Aile ve Sosyal Arastirmalar Genel Mudurlugu, Ankara
- Türkiye’de aile mahkemeleri uygulaması ve uygulamanın degerlendirilmesi (Evaluation of family courts in Turkey). T.C. Başbakanlık Aile ve Sosyal Araştırmalar Genel Müdürlüğü Yayınları, Ankara
- ASUD. (2006). Aile mahkemeleri uzmanlarının durum raporu (Family court experts report). Retrieved October 20, 2010 from http://www.asud.org.tr/yazilar_files/Aile%20Mahkemeleri%20Uzmanlarinin%20Durum%20Raporu.
- ASUD. (2008). Adalet sistemi uzmanlarının durum raporu (Justice System experts report). Retrieved October 20, 2010 from http://www.asud.org.tr/yazilar_files/adalet_sistemi_uzmanlari_raporu_2008.pdf.
- Belge, B. (2010). Erkekler 2010’da 217 kadin oldurdu (Men have killed 217 women in 2010). Retrieved January 31, 2011 from http://bianet.org/bianet/insan-haklari/127369-erkekler-2010da-217-kadin-oldurdu.
- Boğaziçi University Social Policy Forum. (2009). Türkiye’de çocuk bakım hizmetlerinin yaygınlaşmasına dair bir öneri: mahalle kreşleri (A proposal for the spread of child care services in Turkey: Neighbourhood crèches). Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.spf.boun.edu.tr/docs/MAHALLE%20KRESLERI%20-%20ARASTIRMA%20RAPORU.pdf.
- Bogenschneider, K (2008) Family policy matters: How policymaking affects families and what professionals can do. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, New Jersey
- Brewster, MP Domestic violence theories, research, and practice. In: Roberts, AR eds. (2002) Handbook of domestic violence intervention strategies: Policies, programs, and legal remedies. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 23-48
- Brooks, SL, Ronen, Y (2005) The notion of interdependence and its implications for child and family policies. Journal of Feminist Family Therapy 17: pp. 23-46 CrossRef
- CEDAW (2010). Concluding observations of the committee on the elimination of discrimination against women: Turkey. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cedaw/docs/co/CEDAW-C-TUR-CO-6.pdf.
- Denetimli Serbestlik ve Koruma Kurulları. (2010). Denetimli serbestlik ve koruma kurulları (Probation and protection offices). Retrieved February 8, 2011 from http://www.cte-dsm.adalet.gov.tr/.
- Directorate General for the Social Services and Child Protection Agency (2009). Tüm kuruluşlar (All agencies). Retrieved February 7, 2011 from http://www.shcek.gov.tr/tum-kuruluslar.aspx.
- Turkey demographic and health survey, 2008. Hacettepe University Institute of Population Studies, Ministry of Health General Directorate of Mother and Child Health and Family Planning. T.R. Prime Ministry Undersecretary of State Planning Organization and TUBITAK, Ankara, Turkey
- Ilkkaracan, P., & Amado, L. E. (2008). Good practices in legislation on violence against women in Turkey and problems of implementation. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/egm/vaw_legislation_2008/expertpapers/EGMGPLVAW%20Paper%20_Pinar%20Ilkkaracan%20and%20Liz%20Ercevik%20Amado_pdf .
- Kardam, N (2005) Turkey’s engagement with global women’s human rights. Ashgate Publishing Company, Burlington
- Kayar, H. Y., (2007). Kadına yönelik şiddet, 4320 sayılı ailenin korunmasına dair kanun yönetmelik yargıtay kararları ve uygulama sorunları (The law no 4320 on the Protection of the Family regulations appeals and problems with implementation). Retrieved on October 15, 2010 from http://www.turkhukuksitesi.com/makale_595.htm.
- Combatting domestic violence against women: National action plan 2007–2010. KSGM, Ankara
- KSGM. (2009). T.C. Başbakanlık Kadının Statüsü Genel Müdürlüğü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Nüfus Etütleri Enstitüsü, ICON-Institut Public Sector GmbH and BNB Danışmanlık, Türkiye’de Kadına Yönelik Aile İçi Şiddet Araştırması 2008 (Family Violence Research 2008). Retrieved January 31, 2010 from http://www.ksgm.gov.tr/tdvaw/istatistikler.htm.
- Münir, K (2006) Republic of Turkey mental health policy. Ministry of Health, Ankara
- Office of the Prime Minister. (2010). The constitution of the Republic of Turkey. Retrieved October 10, 2010 from http://www.byegm.gov.tr/sayfa.aspx?Id=78.
- Pala, K. (2007). Türkiye için nasıl bir sağlık reform? (What kind of a health reform for Turkey?). Retrieved on October 15, 2010 from http://saglik.nilufer.bel.tr/pdf_doc/saglik_reformu.pdf.
- Rodriguez, B. L. (2009). Justice through domestic violence legislation: Improving the implementation of Turkey’s Law 4320 in the Protection of the Family. Journal of Public and International Affairs. Retrieved October 10, 2010, from http://www.princeton.edu/jpia/past-issues-1/2009/2.pdf.
- SGK. (2007). Sosyal güvenlik kurumu sağlık uygulama tebliği (Social security institution health care application notification). Resmi Gazete Tarihi: 25.05.2007, Resmi Gazete Sayısı: 26532. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr/eskiler/2007/05/20070525M1-3.htm.
- SHCEK. (2010). Yaşlı bakım hizmetleri (Elderly care). Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.shcek.gov.tr/yasli-bakim-hizmetleri.aspx.
- TBMM. (2010). Aile mahkemelerinin kuruluş, görev ve yargılama usullerine dair kanun. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.tbmm.gov.tr/kanunlar/k4787.html.
- TUIK. (2009a). Evlenme istatistikler (Marriage statistics). Retrieved October 10, 2010 from http://www.tuik.gov.tr/demografiapp/evlenme.zul.
- TUIK. (2009b). Nüfus sayım sonuçları (Census results). Retrieved October 10, 2010 from http://tuikapp.tuik.gov.tr/adnksdagitapp/adnks.zul.
- UNICEF (2010). Early childhood care and learning. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.unicef.org.tr/en/content/detail/21/early-childhood-care-and-learning.html.
- UNICEF TURKEY. (2010). Children in the population, the family, and the health and education systems. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.unicef.org.tr/en/content/detail/54/child-survival-nutrition-and-health.html.
- Uysal, P (2003) In vitro fertilizasyon-embriyo transferi (IVF-ET) ve etik (In vitro fertilization embryo transfer (Ivf-Et) and ethics). Tıp Etiği-Hukuku-Tarihi 11: pp. 41-44
- Victim Support Europe. (2011). About victim support Europe. Retrieved February 8, 2011 from http://www.victimsupporteurope.eu/about/.
- WHO (2010). Turkey: Country cooperation strategy at a glance. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from http://www.who.int/countryfocus/cooperation_strategy/ccsbrief_tur_en.pdf.
- Turkish Civil and penal code reforms from a gender perspective: The success of two nationwide campaigns. WWHR, Istanbul
- Zahidi, S., & Ibarra, H. (2010). The corporate gender gap report. World Economic Forum. Retrieved February 14, 2010 from http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_CorporateReport_2010.pdf.
- Review of Explicit Family Policies in Turkey from a Systemic Perspective
Journal of Child and Family Studies
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 42-52
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Family policy
- Family systems
- Industry Sectors