Sexuality and Sense of Self in Later Life: Japanese Men’s and Women’s Reflections on Sex and Aging
- Katrina L. Moore
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aim of this article is to provide a nuanced analysis of the transformation of sexuality that occurs with age. Drawing on several ethnographic narratives of married men and women over the age of 60 in Japan, this article provides insight into gender-specific experiences of marital sexuality, the impact of extra-marital sexual activity on marital relationships, and the development of “sibling-like” relationships as couples grow older. It also highlights the continuing importance of sexual desire in later life, especially to men’s sense of self. This article contributes to the growing scholarship on the sexuality of older persons around the world and makes a case for the importance of the life history interview as a methodology for illuminating the complex relationship between gender, sexuality, and aging.
- Alexy, A. (2009). How families threaten marriages: Selfhood, intimacy, and divorce risk in contemporary Japan. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Asian Studies, Chicago, Illinois.
- Allison, A. (1994). Nightwork: Sexuality, pleasure, and corporate masculinity in a Tokyo hostess club. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Araki, C., Ishida, M., Okawa, R., Kaneko, K., Horiguchi, S., Horiguchi, M., et al. (Eds.) (2002). Karada to Kimochi: Midoru Shinia Ban [Body and Feeling: Middle Senior Edition]. Tokyo: Sangokan.
- Bornoff, N. (1991). Pink samurai: Love, marriage, and sex in contemporary Japan. London: Grafton Books.
- Butler, J. (1990). Gender trouble. Routledge: London and New York.
- Cherry, K. (1987). Womansword: What Japanese words say about women. Tokyo and New York: Kodansha International.
- De Lauretis, T. (1987). Technologies of gender: Essays on theory, film, and fiction. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Dore, R. (1994). Shinohata: A portrait of a Japanese village. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Ebron, P. (2002). Performing Africa. Princeton,: Princeton University Press.
- Epstein, M. (2005). Open to desire: The truth about what the Buddha taught. New York: Gotham Books.
- Gaita, R. (2007). The pedagogical power of love. http://alumni.cfsnc.org/?page=PedagogicalPowerof. Accessed August 13, 2009.
- Gutmann, M. (1997). Trafficking in men: the anthropology of masculinity. Annual Review of Anthropology, 26, 385–409. CrossRef
- Helfaer, P. (1998). Sex and self-respect: The quest for personal fulfillment. London: Praeger Publishers.
- Hirsch, J. (2003). A courtship after marriage: Sexuality and love in Mexican transnational families. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Ingersoll-Dayton, B., Campbell, R., Kurokawa, Y., & Saito, M. (1996). Separateness and togetherness: interdependence over the life course in Japanese and American marriages. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 13(3), 385–398. CrossRef
- Katz, S., & Marshall, B. (2003). New sex for old: lifestyle, consumerism, and the ethics of aging well. Journal of Aging Studies, 17, 3–16. CrossRef
- Kobayashi, T. (2000). Jukunen Sei Kakumei [Senior sexual revolution]. Tokyo: Bungei Shunju.
- Laumann, E. O., Paik, A., Glasser, D., Kang, J-H., Wang, F., Levinson, B., et al. (Eds.) (2006). A cross-national study of subjective sexual well-being among older women and men: Findings from the global study of sexual attitudes and behaviors. Archives of Sexual Behavior 35(2):145–161.
- Marshall, B. (2002). “Hard science”: gendered constructions of sexual dysfunction in the “viagra age.”. Sexualities, 5(2), 131–158. CrossRef
- Marsiglio, W., & Greer, R. A. (1994). A gender analysis of older men’s sexuality. In E. H. Thompson (Ed.), Older men’s lives (pp. 122–140). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Nakae, K. (2005). Edo no Sei [Sex in Edo]. Tokyo: Kawade Shobo.
- NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). (2002). Nihonjin no Sei Kôdô Sei Ishiki (Japanese sexual behavior and sexual attitudes). Tokyo: Nihon Hôsô Shuppan Kyôkai.
- Ooishi, S. (1974). Ooka Echizen Tadasuke. (Ooka Echizen Tadasuke) Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten.
- Parker, R. G. (1999). Beneath the Equator: Cultures of desire, male homosexuality, and emerging gay communities in Brazil. New York: Routledge.
- Pringle, R. (1992). Absolute sex? Unpacking the sexuality/gender relationship. In R. W. Connell, & G. Dowsett (Eds.), Rethinking sex: Social theory and sexuality research. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Richie, D. (2001). The Donald Richie reader: 50 years of writing on Japan. Compiled and edited by A. Silva. Berkeley: Stone Bridge Press.
- Schiavi, R. (1999). Aging and male sexuality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Schill, W.-B., Kohn, F.-M., & Haidl, G. (1994). The aging male. In G. Berg & M. Hammar (Eds.), The modern management of menopause: A perspective for the 21st century (pp. 545–566). New York: Parthenon Publishing Group.
- Shea, J. (2005). Sexual ‘liberation’ and the older woman in contemporary mainland China. Modern China, 31(1), 1–33. CrossRef
- Smith, R. J., & Wiswell, E. L. (1983). The women of Suye Mura. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Stanley, A. (2007). Adultery, punishment, and reconciliation in Tokugawa Japan. Journal of Japanese Studies, 33(2), 309–335. CrossRef
- Tanizaki, J. (1991 ). Fûten Rôjin Nikki [Diary of a mad old man]. New York: Vintage.
- Taussig, M. (1999). Defacement: Public secrecy and the labor of the negative. Stanford: University of California Press.
- Tiefer, L. (2007). Sexuopharmacology: A fateful new element in sexual scripts. In M. Kimmel (Ed.), The sexual self: The construction of sexual scripts (pp. 239–248). Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- Tsuji, T. (1964). Ooka Echizen: Meibugyou no Kyozou to Jitsuzou [Ooka Echizen: The myth and the reality of the Brilliant Magistrate]. Tokyo: Chuô Kôron Shinsha.
- White, M. (1994). The material child: Coming of age in Japan and America. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Sexuality and Sense of Self in Later Life: Japanese Men’s and Women’s Reflections on Sex and Aging
Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 149-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Katrina L. Moore (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sociology and Anthropology Program, School of Social Sciences and International Studies, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia