Aneuploidy in abortuses following IVF and ICSI
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To compare aneuploidy rates in first trimester pregnancy losses following IVF ± ICSI.
A retrospective cohort analysis of karyotypes of abortuses following conventional IVF (n = 159) and ICSI (n = 196).
50.1% of losses were found to be cytogenetically abnormal among all patients undergoing IVF ± ICSI. A significant increase in fetal aneuploidy rate was noted with increasing maternal age (<30 years = 26.1% vs. 31 to 34 years. = 38.2% vs. 35 to 39 years. = 51.3% vs. >39 years. = 65.9%). Aneuploidy rates were similar in the ICSI vs. conventional IVF groups (52.6% vs. 47.2% [p 0.31, RR 1.11, 95% CI 0.90, 1.38]). More sex chromosome anomalies were noted in the ICSI group.
The aneuploidy rate in first trimester abortuses significantly increases with increasing maternal age. ICSI was not shown to significantly increase the aneuploidy rate. However, more sex chromosome anomalies were found among pregnancies resulting from ICSI.
- Simpson JL, Jauniaux E. Fetal wastage. In: Gabbe SG, Niebyl JR, Simpson JL, editors. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 2007. Chapter 24.
- Simpson JL. Causes of fetal wastage. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2007;50(1):10–30. doi:10.1097/GRF.0b013e31802f11f6. CrossRef
- Hassold TJ. A cytogenetic study of repeated spontaneous abortions. Am J Hum Genet. 1980;32:723–30.
- Simpson JL, Bombard AT. Chromosomal abnormalities in spontaneous abortion: frequency, pathology and genetic counseling. In: Edmonds KBMJ, editor. Spontaneous Abortion. London: Blackwell; 1987. p. 51–76.
- Benadiva CA, Kligman I, Munne S. Aneuploidy 16 in human embryos increases significantly with maternal age. Fertil Steril. 1996;66:248–55.
- Angell RR. Aneuploidy in older women. Higher rates of aneuploidy in oocytes from older women. Hum Reprod. 1994;9:1199–2000.
- Munne S, Alikani M, Tomkin G, Grifo J, Cohen J. Embryo morphology, developmental rates, and maternal age are correlated with chromosome abnormalities. Fertil Steril. 1995;64:382–91.
- Bonduelle M, Van Assche E, Joris H, Keymolen K, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem A, et al. Prenatal testing in ICSI pregnancies: incidence of chromosomal anomalies in 1586 karyotypes and relation to sperm parameters. Hum Reprod. 2002;17(10):2600–14. doi:10.1093/humrep/17.10.2600. CrossRef
- Belva F, Henriet S, Liebaers I, Van Steirteghem A, Celestin-Westreich S, Bonduelle M. Medical outcome of 8-year-old singleton ICSI children (born >or=32 weeks' gestation) and a spontaneously conceived comparison group. Hum Reprod. 2007;22(2):506–15. doi:10.1093/humrep/del372. CrossRef
- Katalinic A, Rösch C, Ludwig M. German ICSI Follow-Up Study Group. Pregnancy course and outcome after intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a controlled, prospective cohort study. Fertil Steril. 2004;81(6):1604–16. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2003.10.053. CrossRef
- Retzloff MG, Hornstein MD. Is intracytoplasmic sperm injection safe? Fertil Steril. 2003;80(4):851–9. doi:10.1016/S0015-0282(03)01014-8. CrossRef
- Bonduelle M, Camus M, DeVos A, et al. Seven years of intracytoplasmic sperm injection and follow-up of 1987 subsequent children. Hum Reprod. 1999;14(Suppl 1):243–64.
- Herve C, Moutel G. Sex chromosome abnormalities after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Lancet. 1995;346(8982):1096–7.
- Meschede D, Horst J. Sex chromosomal anomalies in pregnancies conceived through intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a case for genetic counselling. Hum Reprod. 1997;12(6):1125–7. doi:10.1093/humrep/12.6.1125. CrossRef
- Van derVen K, Messer L, van derVen H, et al. Cystic fibrosis mutation screening in healthy men with reduced sperm quality. Hum Reprod. 1996;11:513–7.
- Pryor JL, Kent-First M, Muallem A, et al. Microdeletions in the Y chromosome of infertile men. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:534–9. doi:10.1056/NEJM199702203360802. CrossRef
- Martin RH. The risk of chromosomal abnormalities following ICSI. Hum Reprod. 1996;11:924–5.
- Frattarelli JL, Leondires MP, Miller BT, Segars JH. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection increases embryo fragmentation without affecting clinical outcome. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2000;17(4):207–12. doi:10.1023/A:1009439800398. CrossRef
- Martin RH. Genetics of Human Sperm. J Assist Reprod Genet. 1998;15(5):240–5. doi:10.1023/A:1022528007564. CrossRef
- Calogero AE, Burrello N, De Palma A, Barone N, D'Agata R. Vicari. Sperm aneuploidy in infertile men. Reprod Biomed Online. 2003;6(3):310–7. CrossRef
- Pang MG, Hoegerman SF, Cuticchia AJ, Moon SY, Doncel GF, Acosta AA, et al. Detection of aneuploidy for chromosomes 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 21, X and Y by fluorescence in-situ hybridization in spermatozoa from nine patients with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia undergoing intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Hum Reprod. 1999;14(5):1266–73. doi:10.1093/humrep/14.5.1266. CrossRef
- Jain T, Gupta RS. Trends in the use of intracytoplasmic sperm injection in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(3):251–7. doi:10.1056/NEJMsa070707. CrossRef
- Lathi RB, Milki AA. Rate of aneuploidy in miscarriages following in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 2004;81(5):1270–2. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2003.09.065. CrossRef
- Ma S, Philipp T, Zhao Y, Stetten G, Robinson WP, Kalousek D. Frequency of chromosomal abnormalities in spontaneous abortions derived from intracytoplasmic sperm injection compared with those from in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. 2006;85(1):236–9. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.06.041. CrossRef
- Macas E, Zweifel C, Imthurn B. Numerical chromosome anomalies detected in paternally derived pronuclei of tripronuclear zygotes after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 2006;85(6):1753–60. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.11.062. CrossRef
- Buckett WM, Chian RC, Dean NL, Sylvestre C, Holzer HE, et al. Pregnancy loss in pregnancies conceived after in vitro oocyte maturation, conventional in vitro fertilization, and intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 2007; In press.
- Baker G, Lui DY, Bourne H. In Handbook of In vitro Fertilization, 2nd ed, Assessment of the male and preparation of sperm for ARTs. 2000, CRC Press.
- Miller KA, Elkind-Hirsch KE, Levy B, Graubert M, Ross S, Scott RT. Pregnancy after cryopreservation of donor oocytes and preimplantation genetic diagnosis of the embryos in a patient with ovarian failure. Fertil Steril. 2004;82:211–4. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2003.12.031. CrossRef
- Aneuploidy in abortuses following IVF and ICSI
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 26, Issue 2-3 , pp 93-97
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Maternal age
- Pregnancy loss
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Resident, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, Dept. of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health, MSB E-506, 185 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ, 07101-1709, USA
- 2. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, UMDNJ, Dept. of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
- 3. Reproductive Medicine Associates of New Jersey, Morristown, NJ, USA