Effect of metallic nanoparticle sizes on the local field near their surface
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have used numerical calculations based on Mie theory to analyze the near field distribution patterns for 4–150 nm spherical silver nanoparticles (nanospheres). We have shown that as the nanoparticle sizes increase, the region where “hot spots” are concentrated is shifted to the forward hemisphere. We have observed a nonmonotonic dependence of the maximum attainable local field enhancement factor on the size of the silver nanospheres. We have determined a correlation between the optimal nanosphere size for the maximum attainable local field enhancement factor and the optical absorption efficiency factor. We have established a nonmonotonic dependence of the optimal size of the nanoparticles and the maximum attainable local field enhancement factor on the refractive index of the surrounding medium.
- D. A. Stuart, A. J. Haes, C. R. Yonzon, et al., IEE Proc. Nanobiotechnol., 152, 13–32 (2005). CrossRef
- C. F. Boren and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles [in Russian], Mir, Moscow (1986).
- A. Pack, M. Hietschold, and R. Wannemacher, Opt. Commun., 194, 277–287 (2001). CrossRef
- M. Quinten, Appl. Phys. B, 73, 245–256 (2001). CrossRef
- T. Jensen, L. Kelly, A. Lazaridies, and G. Schatz, J. Cluster Sci., 10, 295–297 (1999). CrossRef
- V. A. Shubin, W. Kim, V. P. Safonov, A. K. Sarychev, R. L. Armstrong, and V. M. Shalaev, J. Lightwave Technology, 17, 2183–2218 (1999). CrossRef
- A. Ivinskaya, R. Dynich, and A. Ponyavina, Physics, Chemistry and Applications of Nanostructures: Rev. and Short Notes to NANOMEETING-2005, Minsk, 24–27 May 2005, World Scientific, Singapore (2005), pp. 247–250.
- H. C. van de Hulst, Light Scattering by Small Particles [Russian translation], Inostr. Lit., Moscow (1961).
- M. I. Mishchenko, L. D. Travis, and A. Lacis, Scattering, Absorption and Emission of Light by Small Particles, University Press, Cambridge (2002).
- L. G. Astaf'eva, V. A. Babenko, and V. A. Kuzmin, Electromagnetic Scattering in Disperse Media: Inhomogeneous and Anisotropic Particles, Springer-Prexis, Berlin (2003).
- P. B. Johnson and R. W. Christy, Phys. Rev. B, 12, 4370–4387 (1972). CrossRef
- B. J. Messinger, K. U. von Raben, R. K. Chang, and P. W. Barber, Phys. Rev. B, 24, 649–657 (1981). CrossRef
- K. L. Kelly, E. Coronado, L. L. Zhao, and G. C. Schatz, J. Phys. Chem. B, 107, 668–677 (2003). CrossRef
- Effect of metallic nanoparticle sizes on the local field near their surface
Journal of Applied Spectroscopy
Volume 75, Issue 6 , pp 832-838
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- surface plasmon resonance
- near field characteristics
- local field enhancement