Manifestation of structure and intermolecular interactions of biologically active brassinosteroids in infrared spectra
We have analyzed the IR spectra obtained for steroidal phytohormones 24-epibrassinolide, 24-epicastasterone, 28-homobrassinolide, and 28-homocastasterone. The characteristic frequencies of the stretching vibrations of the hydrocarbon groups CH3, CH2, and CH and also the C=O groups in the spectra of brassinolides are higher than in the spectra of castasterones, which makes it possible to identify them from the IR spectra. Study of the spectra of these brassinosteroids in different media (pressed samples in KBr, films, solutions in CHCl3 and CDCl3) allowed us to establish the presence of intermolecular interactions in which C=O and OH groups, OH-OH groups participate, and also the possible formation of intramolecular hydrogen bonds between the OH groups of the molecules.
- W.-S. Zhou, B. Jiang, and X.-fu Pan, Tetrahedron, 46, 3173–3188 (1990). CrossRef
- M. J. Tompson, W. J. Meudt, N. B. Mandava, S. R. Dutky, W. R. Lusby, and D. W. Spaulding, Steroids, 39, 89–105 (1992). CrossRef
- V. A. Khripach, V. N. Zhabinskii, and A. E. de Groot, Brassinosteroids. A New Class of Plant Hormones, Academic Press, San Diego (1999).
- C. Brosa, J. M. Capdevila, and J. Zamora, Tetrahedron, 52, 2435–2448 (1996). CrossRef
- M. D. Grove, G. F. Spencer, W. K. Rohwedder, N. B. Mandava, J. F. Worley, J. D. Warthen, Jr., G. L. Flippen-Anderson, and J. C. Cook, Jr., Nature, 281, 216–217 (1979). CrossRef
- V. A. Khripach, V. N. Zhabinskii, V. K. Ol’khovik, G. V. Ivanova, E. V. Zhernosek, and A. I. Kotyatkina, Zh. Org. Khim., 30, 1650–1655 (1994).
- F. A. Lakhvich, V. A. Khripach, N. V. Kovganko, and V. N. Zhabinskii, “(22R,23R, 24S)-22,23-Dihydroxy-24-ethyl-5α-cholest-2-en-6-one as an intermediate in synthesis of (24S)-24-ethylbrassinone and a method for obtaining it,” USSR Inventor’s Certificate No. 1363830 (1987).
- A. Kolbe, P. Fuchs, A. Porzel, U. Baumeister, A. Kolbe, and G. Adam, J. Chem. Soc. Trans. I, 2022–2027 (2002).
- Manifestation of structure and intermolecular interactions of biologically active brassinosteroids in infrared spectra
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Applied Spectroscopy
Volume 74, Issue 5 , pp 673-680
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- IR spectrum
- characteristic frequencies
- intermolecular and intramolecular bonds
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Molecular and Atomic Physics (State Scientific Institution), National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, 70 prosp. Nezavisimosti, Minsk, 220072
- 2. Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Minsk