A comparative study of specificity of fucoidanases from marine microorganisms and invertebrates
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Specificities of actions of fucoidanases from the marine microorganism Pseudoalteromonas citrea KMM 3296 and the marine mollusk Littorina kurila were studied. The enzymes possess similar specificities and catalyze the cleavage of accessible α-(1→3)-fucoside bonds in fucoidans with highly sulfated α-(1→4; 1→3)-L-fucooligosaccharides. A high degree of sulfation of the fucose residues in fucoidans makes α-(1→3)-L-fucoside bonds inaccessible for the action of the studied enzymes. The maximum degree of cleavage of fucoidan was achieved by the fucoidanase from the marine bacterium Pseudoalteromonas citrea KMM 3296.
- Bakunina IYu, Nedashkovskaya OI, Alekseeva SA, Ivanova EP, Romanenko LA, Gorshkova NM, Iskov VV, Mikhailov VV (2002) Degradation of fucoidan by the marine proteobacterium Pseudoalteromonas citrea. Microbiology (Moskow) 71: 49–55.
- Berteau O, Mulloy B (2003) Sulfated fucans, fresh perspectives: Structures, functions, and biological properties of sulfated fucans and an overview of enzymes active toward this class of polysaccharide. Glycobiology 13: 29R–40R. CrossRef
- Bilan MI, Grachev AA, Ustuzhanina NE, Shashkov AS, Nifantiev EN, Usov AI (2002) Structure of a fucoidan from the brown seaweed Fucus evanescens. Carbohydr. Res. 337: 719–730. CrossRef
- Burtseva YuV, Kusaykin MI, Sova VV, Shevchenko NM, Skobun AS, Zvyagintseva TN (2000) Distribution of fucoidan-hydrolase and some glucosidase among marine invertebrates. Biologiya Morya 26: 429–432.
- Chizhov AO, Dell A, Morris HR, Haslam SM, McDowell RA, Shashkov AS, Nifant'ev NE, Khatuntseva EA, Usov AI (1999) A study of fucoidan from the brown seaweed Chorda filum. Carbohydrate Research 320: 108–119. CrossRef
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton J, Robers PA, Smith F (1956). Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal. Chem. 28: 350–356. CrossRef
- Kusaykin MI, Burtseva YuV, Svetasheva TG, Sova VV, Zvyagintseva TN (2003) Distribution of O-glycosylhydrolases in marine invertebrates. Enzymes of the marine mollusk Littorina kurila that catalyze fucoidan transformation. Biochemistry (Moskow) 68: 384–392.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: 265–275.
- McClure MO, Moore JP, Blanc DF (1992) Investigations into the mechanism by which sulfated polysaccharides inhibit HIV-infection in vitro. AIDS Research Human Retroviruses 8: 18–26.
- Nelson TE (1944) A photometric adaptation of the Somogy method for the determination of glucose. J. Biol. Chem. 153: 375–381.
- Nishino T, Nagumo T, Kiyohara H, Yamada H (1991) Structural characterization of a new anticoagulant fucan sulfate from the brown seaweed Ecklonia kurome. Carbohydr. Res. 211: 77–90. CrossRef
- Umeda Y, Kihara H, Ikai K, Kato I (1998) Fucoidan-containing foods or beverages. Chemical Abstracts 128: 47606d.
- Zvyagintseva TN, Elyakova LA, Isakov VV (1995) Enzyme transformation of laminarans into 1→3;1→6-β-D-glucans, having immunostimilating action. Bioorganicheskaya Khimya. 21: 218–225.
- Zvyagintseva TN, Shevchenko NM, Chizhov AO, Krupnova TN, Sundukova EV, Isakov VV (2003) Water-soluble polysaccharides of some far-eastern brown seaweeds. Distribution, structure, and their dependence on the developmental conditions. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 294: 1–13. CrossRef
- A comparative study of specificity of fucoidanases from marine microorganisms and invertebrates
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 18, Issue 3-5 , pp 369-373
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- marine invertebrates
- marine bacteria
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far-East Branch of RAS, 690022, 159 Prospect 100-letya Vladivostoku, Vladivostok, Russia
- 2. N.D. Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, RAS, 47 Leninsky Prospect, 119991, Moscow, Russia