Study on Agriculture Decision-Makers Behavior on Sustainable Energy Utilization
- Josef Maroušek
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Phytomass cultivation for energy use is increasingly popular in Europe for high profits guaranteed by subsidy. Although public interest in ecology is on an increasing level, direct combustion is still preferred even though scholars have been warning about formations of hazardous compounds for a long-time. However, the reduction of subsidies would negatively affect an already bad situation in Czech agriculture, since most farmers became fully dependent on subsidies due to quotas, restrictions, and other unequal business conditions in European Union. It was proved in a commercial scale that an alternative phytomass energy utilizing technology consisting of steam explosion and subsequent anaerobic fermentation may be run solely on the waste heat without any further addition of chemicals. Behavior analysis of present and future agriculture decision-makers showed that none of the farmers who visited the facility cared about ecological consequences. On the other hand, ost students from the Faculty of Agriculture and the Faculty of the Economy answered the questionnaire with higher environmental responsibility. We assume this is caused by high average age of farmers in Czech Republic who are more aware of the ongoing economical difficulties and perceive differently the risk of higher acquisition costs.
- Berlin, A., Balakshin, M., Gilkes, N., Kadla, J., Maximenko, V., Kubo, S., et al. (2006). Inhibition of cellulase, xylanase and beta-glucosidase activities by softwood lignin preparations. Journal of Biotechnology, 125(2), 198–209. CrossRef
- Chagger, H. K., Kendall, A., McDonald, A., Pourkashanian, M., & Williams, A. (1998). Formation of dioxins and other semi-volatileorganic compounds in biomass combustion. Applied Energy, 60(2), 101–114. CrossRef
- Clifton-Brown, J. C., Stampfl, P. F., & Jones, M. B. (2004). Miscanthus biomass production for energy in Europe and its potential contribution to decreasing fossil fuel carbon emissions. Global Change Biology, 10(4), 509–518. CrossRef
- de Vrije, T., de Haas, G. G., Tan, G. B., Keijsers, E. R. P, & Claassen, P. A. M. (2002). Pretreatment of Miscanthus for hydrogen production by Thermotoga elfii. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 27(11–12), 1381–1390.
- Fukuzawa, Y., Tominaga, J., Akashi, K., Yabuta, S., Ueno, M., & Kawamitsu, Y. (2012). Photosynthetic gas exchange characteristics in Jatropha curcas L. Plant Biotechnology, 29, 155–162. CrossRef
- Gliessman, S. (2009). A framework for the conversion to food system sustainability. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 33(1), 1–2. CrossRef
- Hallgren, A. L., & Oskarsson, J. (1998). Minimization of sintering tendencies in fluidized-bed gasification of energy crop fuels. In Biomass for energy and industry, proceedings of the 10th European biomass conference, Wiirzburg, Germany (pp. 1700–1703). Rimpar, Germany: C.A.R.M.E.N. Publishers.
- Jenkins, B. M., Baxter, L. L., Miles, T. R., Jr, & Miles, T. R. (1998). Combustion properties of biomass. Fuel Processing Technology, 54(1–3), 17–46. CrossRef
- Khan, A. A., de Jong, W., Jansens, P. J., & Spliethoff, H. (2009). Biomass combustion in fluidized bed boilers: Potentialproblems and remedies. Fuel Processing Technology, 90(1), 21–50. CrossRef
- Klimiuk, E., Pokój, T., Budzyński, W., & Dubis, B. (2010). Theoretical and observed biogas production from plant biomass of differentfibre contents. Bioresource Technology, 101(24), 9527–9535. CrossRef
- Lewandowski, L., Clifton-Brown, J. C., Scurlockc, J. M. O., & Huismand, W. (2000). Miscanthus: European experience with a novel energy crop. Biomass and Bioenergy, 19(4), 209–227. CrossRef
- Maroušek, J. (2012). Finding the optimal parameters for the steam explosion process of hay. Revista Técnica, 35(2), 1–9.
- Maroušek, J., Kawamitsu, Y., Ueno, M., Kondo, Y., & Kolář, L. (2012). Methods for improving methane yield from rye straw. Applied Engineering in Agriculture., 28(4), 1–14.
- Ranali, P. (2007). Improvement of crop plants for industrial end uses (p. 533). Springer. ISBN 9781402054853.
- Rovira, P., & Vallejo, V. R. (2002). Labile and recalcitrant pools of carbon and nitrogen in organic matter decom-posing at different depths in soil: An acid hydrolysis approach. Geoderma, 107(1–2), 109–141. CrossRef
- Sawyer, C. N., McCarty, P. L., & Parkin, G. F. (2003). Chemistry for environmental engineering and science (5th Edn.). ISBN 0-07-248066-1.
- Scurlock, J. M. O. (1998). Miscanthus: a review of European experience with a novel energy crop. ORNL/TM-13732 (p. 26). Oak Ridge, Tennessee: Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Shirato, Y., & Yokozawa, M. (2006). Acid hydrolysis to partition plant material into decomposable and resistant fractions for use in the Rothamsted carbon model. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 38(4), 812–816. CrossRef
- Uellendahl, H., Wang, G., Møller, H., Jørgensen, U., Skiadas, I. V., Gavala, H. N., et al. (2008). Energy balance and cost-benefit analysis of biogas production from perennial energy crops pretreated by wet oxidation. Water Science and Technology, 58(9), 1841–1847. CrossRef
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water-Office of Science and Technology, Engineering and Analysis Division. (2001). Total, fixed, and volatile solids in water, solids, and biosolids.
- Van Soest, P. J. (1963). Use of detergents in the analyses of fibrous feeds. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 46, 829–835.
- Study on Agriculture Decision-Makers Behavior on Sustainable Energy Utilization
Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 679-689
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Decision-makers behavior
- Energy utilization
- Josef Maroušek (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Plant Biotechnology, Agriculture Faculty, University of South Bohemia, Studentská 13, Ceske Budejovice, 370 05, Czech Republic