Brief Report: An Unusual Manifestation of Diagnostic Overshadowing of Pervasive Developmental Disorder—Not Otherwise Specified: A Five Year Longitudinal Case Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Children with communication disorders present with a range of comorbid conditions. Occasionally one of the comorbid conditions manifests so strongly that the primary condition goes unnoticed by the clinician. This tendency to overlook comorbid health problems in the presence of a disability is referred to as diagnostic overshadowing. This is a five-year follow up case study of a 9-year-old female child. The child was initially diagnosed to have Separation Anxiety Disorder (SAD), but during the course of follow up she began to exhibit features of pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS). This case report throws light on the severity of SAD which overshadowed PDD-NOS. Importance of follow-up and the need for a multidisciplinary team to be sensitive to the phenomenon of diagnostic overshadowing is discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Bhardwaj, A., Agarwal, V., & Sitholey, P. (2005). Asperger’s disorder with co-morbid separation anxiety disorder: A case report. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 35, 135–136. CrossRef
- Bieri, J., Atkins, A. L., Briar, S., Leaman, R. L., Miller, H., & Tripodi, T. (1966). Clinical and social judgment: The discrimination of behavioral information. New York: Wiley.
- Bzoch, K., & League, R. (1991). Receptive-expressive emergent language test: A method for assessing the language skills of infants (2nd ed.). Austin: Pro-Ed.
- Farrugia, S., & Hudson, J. (2006). Anxiety in adolescents with Asperger syndrome: Negative thoughts, behavioral problems, and life interference. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 21, 25–35. CrossRef
- Gard, A., Gilman, L., & Gorman, J. (1993). Speech and language development chart (2nd ed.). Austin: Pro-Ed.
- Levitan, G., & Reiss, S. (1983). The generality of diagnostic overshadowing across disciplines. Applied Research in Mental Retardation, 4, 59–64. CrossRef
- MacNeil, B. M., Vicki, A. L., & Mines, P. M. (2009). Anxiety in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 3, 1–21. CrossRef
- Malin, A. J. (1972). Vineland Social Maturity Scale–Nagpur adaptation. Lucknow: Indian Psychological Corporation.
- Mason, J., & Scior, K. (2004). Diagnostic overshadowing amongst clinicians working with people with intellectual disabilities in the UK. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 17, 85–90. CrossRef
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R., & Rochen-Renner, B. (1988). The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- World Health Organisation. (1992). ICD-10 classifications of mental and behavioral disorder: clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva: Author.
- Brief Report: An Unusual Manifestation of Diagnostic Overshadowing of Pervasive Developmental Disorder—Not Otherwise Specified: A Five Year Longitudinal Case Study
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 43, Issue 6 , pp 1491-1494
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Diagnostic overshadowing
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Pervasive developmental disorder
- Speech language pathologist
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India
- 2. Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- 3. All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, University of Mysore, Mysore, India
- 4. Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India