Differences in Autism Symptoms Between Minority and Non-Minority Toddlers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Little is known about whether early symptom presentation differs in toddlers with ASD from ethnic minority versus non-minority backgrounds. Within a treatment study for toddlers with ASD, we compared 19 minority to 65 Caucasian children and their parents on variables obtained from the Mullen Scales of Early Learning, Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, and Communication and Symbolic Behavior Scales Caregiver Questionnaire. The majority of parents were from the upper classes irrespective of ethnic membership. Minority children had lower scores in language, communication, and gross motor than non-minority children. Findings indicate that subtle communication delays may be undetected or presumed unremarkable by parents of minority toddlers, and that more significant delays are needed to prompt the search for intervention services.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders; volume IV-TR. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC
- Begeer, S, Bouk, SE, Boussaid, W, Terwogt, MM, Koot, HM (2009) Underdiagnosis and referral bias of autism in ethnic minorities. Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders 39: pp. 142-148 CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2006). Mental health in the United States: Parental report of diagnosed autism in children aged 4–17 years—United States, 2003–2004. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2010). Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs): What should you know? Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/.
- Costello, EJ, Keeler, GP, Angold, A (2001) Poverty, race/ethnicity and psychiatric disorder: A study of rural children. American Journal of Public Health 91: pp. 1494-1498 CrossRef
- Cuccaro, ML, Brinkley, JS, Abramson, RK, Hall, A, Wright, HH, Gilbert, JR, Pericak-Vance, MA (2007) Autism in African–American families: Clinical-phenotypic findings. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatry Genetics 144: pp. 1022-1026 CrossRef
- Danesco, ER (1997) Parental belief on childhood disability: Insights on culture, child development and intervention. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education 44: pp. 41-52 CrossRef
- Desai, PP, Hendrie, HC, Evans, RM (2003) Genetic variation in apolipoprotein D affects the risk of Alzheimer disease in African–Americans. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatry Genetics 116: pp. 98-101 CrossRef
- Durkin, MS, Maenner, MJ, Meaney, FJ, Levy, SE, DiGuiseppi, S, Nicholas, JS, Kirby, RS (2010) Socioeconomic inequality in the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder: Evidence from a U.S. cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE 5: pp. e11551 CrossRef
- Fombonne, E (2003) Epidemiological surveys of autism and other pervasive developmental disorders: An update. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 33: pp. 365-382 CrossRef
- Fountain, C., King, M. D., & Bearman, P. S. (2010). Age of diagnosis for autism: individual and community factors across 10 birth cohorts. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 65, 503–510. doi:10.1136/jech.2009.104588.
- Gradin, C. (2008). Poverty among minorities in the United States: Explaining the racial poverty gap for Blacks and Latinos, Working Papers 96, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality. Retrieved from http://www.ecineq.org/milano/WP/ECINEQ2008-96.pdf.
- Hilton, CL, Fitzgerald, RT, Jackson, KM, Maxim, RA, Bosworth, CC, Shattuck, PT (2009) Brief report: Under-representation of African Americans in autism genetic research: A rationale for inclusion of subjects representing diverse family structures. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 40: pp. 633-639 CrossRef
- Hollingshead, A. B. (1975). Four factor index of social status. Working Paper, Department of Sociology, Yale University, New Haven.
- Landa, R, Holman, K, Garrett-Mayer, E (2007) Social and communication development in toddlers with early and later diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry 64: pp. 853-864 CrossRef
- Liptak, GS, Benzoni, LB, Mruzek, DW, Nolan, KW, Thingvoll, MA, Wade, CM, Fryer, E (2008) Disparities in diagnosis and utilization of health services for children with autism: Data from the national survey of children’s health. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 29: pp. 152-160 CrossRef
- Lord, C, Rutter, M, DiLavore, P, Risi, S (1999) Autism diagnostic observation schedule. Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, CA
- Mandell, DS, Ittenbach, RF, Levy, SE, Pinto-Martin, JA (2007) Disparities in diagnoses received prior to a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 37: pp. 1795-1802 CrossRef
- Mandell, DS, Listerud, J, Levy, SE, Pinto-Martin, JA (2002) Race differences in the age at diagnosis among Medicaid-eligible children with autism. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 4: pp. 1447-1453 CrossRef
- Mandell, D, Novak, M (2005) The role of culture in families’ treatment decisions for children with autism spectrum disorders. Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews 11: pp. 110-115 CrossRef
- Mandell, DS, Novak, MM, Zubritsky, CD (2005) Factors associated with the age of diagnosis among children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics 116: pp. 1480-1486 CrossRef
- Mandell, DS, Wiggins, LD, Carpenter, LA, Daniels, J, DiGuiseppi, C, Durkin, MS (2009) Racial/ethnic disparities in the identification of children with autism spectrum disorders. American Journal of Public Health 99: pp. 493-498 CrossRef
- Mullen, EM (1995) Mullen scales of early learning. American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, MN
- Pachter, LM, Dworkin, PH (1997) Maternal expectations about normal child development in 4 cultural groups. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 151: pp. 1144-1150 CrossRef
- Post, DM, Cegala, DJ, Marinelli, TM (2001) Teaching patients to communicate with physicians: The impact of race. Journal of the National Medical Association 93: pp. 6-12
- Rogers-Adkinson, DL, Ochoa, TA, Delgado, B (2003) Developing cross-cultural competence: Serving families of children with significant developmental needs. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities 18: pp. 4-8 CrossRef
- Schopler, E, Andrews, C, Strupp, K (1979) Do autistic children come from upper middle class parents?. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 9: pp. 139-152 CrossRef
- Veling, W, Susser, E, Os, J, Mackenbach, JP, Selten, JP, Hoek, HW (2008) Ethnic density of neighborhoods and incidence of psychotic disorders among immigrants. American Journal of Psychiatry 165: pp. 66-73 CrossRef
- Wetherby, A, Prizant, B (2002) CSBS DP manual: Communication and symbolic behavior scales developmental profile. Paul H. Brookes, Baltimore, MD
- Zhang, J, Wheeler, JJ, Richey, D (2006) Cultural validity in assessment instruments for children with autism from a Chinese cultural perspective. International Journal of Special Education 21: pp. 109-114
- Differences in Autism Symptoms Between Minority and Non-Minority Toddlers
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 42, Issue 9 , pp 1967-1973
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Early symptoms
- Industry Sectors