Date: 25 Jan 2012
The Rising Prevalence of Autism: A Prospective Longitudinal Study in the Faroe Islands
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have followed up a 2002 population study of autism prevalence in 15–24-year olds in the Faroe Islands. The rate of ASD grew significantly from 0.56% in 2002 to 0.94% in 2009. Although these results are within the range of typical findings from other studies, there were some interesting details. There were—in addition to 43 originally diagnosed cases in 2002—24 newly discovered cases in 2009 and nearly half of them were females. It is possible that unfamiliarity with the clinical presentation of autism in females have played a significant role in this context. There was diagnostic stability for the overall category of ASD over time in the group diagnosed in childhood (7—16) years, but considerable variability as regards diagnostic sub-groupings.
American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington: American Psychiatric Association.
Fombonne, E. (2008). Is autism getting commoner? The British Journal of Psychiatry, 193, 159.CrossRef
Gillberg, C. (1991). Clinical and neurobiological aspects of Asperger syndrome in six family studies. In: U. Frith (Ed.), Autism and Asperger Syndrome (pp. 122–146). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Hallerbäck, M., Billstedt, E, Johansson, M, Gillberg, I. C., & Gillberg, C. (2011). Diagnostic Interview for Social and COmmunication Disorders—DISCO-11: The correspondence between the DISCO diagnosis and DSM-V. Unpublished manuscript.
Lord, C., Risi, S., Lambrecht, L., Cook, E. H., Leventhal, B. L., & DiLavore, P. C. (2000). The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. Journal of Attention Disorders, 30, 205–223.
Wechsler, D. (1981). Wechsler adult intelligence scale-revised. San Antonio: Psychological Corporation.
Wechsler, D. (1992). Wechsler intelligence scale for children (3rd ed.). London: Psychological Corporation.
World Health Organization. (1993). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. Diagnsotic criteria for research. Geneva: World Health Organisation.
- The Rising Prevalence of Autism: A Prospective Longitudinal Study in the Faroe Islands
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 42, Issue 9 , pp 1959-1966
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Genetic isolate
- Young adults
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Health and Wellbeing, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Caledonia House, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G3 8SJ, UK
- 2. Psychiatric Department, Child and Youth Psychiatry, Landssjúkrahúsið, J.C. Svabosgøta, 100, Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
- 5. Gillberg Neuropsychiatry Centre, Kungsgatan 12, SE-411 19, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 3. Sernámsdepilin (Special Education Center), á Frælsinum 32, 100, Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
- 4. Psychiatric Center, 100, Torshavn, Faroe Islands