The Home TEACCHing Program for Toddlers with Autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The study evaluated the efficacy a parent training intervention for children with autism based on the TEACCH model. Twenty families were randomly assigned to the treatment or waitlist group. All families were compared at pre- and post-treatment on formal dependent measures. Direct measures of behavior were compared across six matched pairs using a multiple baseline probe design. The results of the multiple baseline design showed robust support for improvement in child and parent behavior. Due to the sample size and short time frame, results of a repeated measures analysis of variance did not reach significance.
- Abidin, R. (Ed.). (1995). Parenting stress index: Professional manual (3rd ed.). Lutz, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.
- Aldred, C., Green, J., Emsley, R., & McConachie, H. (2011). Brief report: Mediation of treatment effect in a communication intervention for pre-school children with Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. doi:10.1007/s10803-011-1248-3.
- APA (Ed.). (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: APA. text revision.
- Bruininks, R., Woodcock, R., Weatherman, R., & Hill, B. (Eds.). (1996). Scales of independent behaviour—Revised. Park Allen, TX: DLM Teaching Resources.
- Carter, A. S., Messinger, D. S., Stone, W. L., Celimli, S., Nahmias, A. S., & Yoder, P. (2011). A randomized controlled trial of Hanen’s ‘More Than Words’ in toddlers with early autism symptoms. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 52(7), 741–752. doi:10.1111/j.1469-7610.2011.02395.x.. CrossRef
- Dawson, G., Rogers, S., Munson, J., Smith, M., Winter, J., Greenson, J., et al. (2010). Randomized, controlled trial of an intervention for toddlers with autism: The early start Denver model. Pediatrics, 125(1), 17–23. doi:10.1542/peds.2009-0958. CrossRef
- Diggle, T., McConachie, H. R., & Randle, V. R. (2003). Parent-mediated early intervention for young children with autism spectrum disorder. Cochrane database of systematic reviews(1), CD003496. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD003496.
- Estes, A., Munson, J., Dawson, G., Koehler, E., Zhou, X. H., & Abbott, R. (2009). Parenting stress and psychological functioning among mothers of preschool children with autism and developmental delay. Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice, 13(4), 375–387. doi:10.1177/1362361309105658. CrossRef
- Green, J., Charman, T., McConachie, H., Aldred, C., Slonims, V., Howlin, P., et al. (2010). Parent-mediated communication-focused treatment in children with autism (PACT): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 375(9732), 2152–2160. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60587-9. CrossRef
- Gresham, F., Beebe-Frankenberger, M., & MacMillan, D. (1999). A selective review of treatments for children with autism: Description and methodological considerations. School Psychology Review, 28(4), 559–575.
- Kasari, C. (2002). Assessing change in early intervention programs for children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 32(5), 447–461. CrossRef
- Kasari, C., Gulsrud, A. C., Wong, C., Kwon, S., & Locke, J. (2010). Randomized controlled caregiver mediated joint engagement intervention for toddlers with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(9), 1045–1056. doi:10.1007/s10803-010-0955-5. CrossRef
- Marcus, L. M., Lansing, M., Andrews, C. E., & Schopler, E. (1978). Improvement of teaching effectiveness in parents of autistic children. Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 17(4), 625–639. CrossRef
- McGee, G., Morrier, M. J., & Daly, T. (1999). An incidental teaching approach to early intervention for toddlers with autism. Journal of the Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps, 24(3), 133–146. CrossRef
- Mesibov, G. B., Schopler, E., & Hearsey, K. (1994). Structured teaching. In E. Schopler & G. B. Mesibov (Eds.), Behavioral issues in Autism (pp. 195–207). New York, NY: Plenum Press.
- Mesibov, G. B., & Shea, V. (2011). Evidence-based practices and autism. Autism: The International Journal of Research and Practice, 15(1), 114–133. doi:10.1177/1362361309348070. CrossRef
- Mesibov, G. B., Shea, V., & Schopler, E. (Eds.). (2005). The TEACCH approach to autism spectrum disorders. New York: Springer.
- Mullen, E. M. (1995). Mullen scales of early learning: AGS edition. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Odom, S. L., Boyd, B. A., Hall, L. J., & Hume, K. (2010). Evaluation of comprehensive treatment models for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(4), 425–436. doi:10.1007/s10803-009-0825-1. CrossRef
- Ozonoff, S., & Cathcart, K. (1998a). Effectiveness of a home program intervention for young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 28(1), 25–32. CrossRef
- Ozonoff, S., & Cathcart, K. (1998b). Effectiveness of a home program intervention for young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 28(1), 25–32. CrossRef
- Panerai, S., Ferrante, L., & Zingale, M. (2002). Benefits of the treatment and education of autistic and communication handicapped children (TEACCH) programme as compared with a non-specific approach. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 46(Pt 4), 318–327. CrossRef
- Quill, K. A. (1997). Instructional considerations for young children with autism: The rationale for visually cued instruction. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 27(6), 697–714. CrossRef
- Rogers, S. J., & Vismara, L. A. (2008). Evidence-based comprehensive treatments for early autism. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 37(1), 8–38. doi:10.1080/15374410701817808.
- Schertz, H. H., & Odom, S. L. (2007). Promoting joint attention in toddlers with autism: a parent-mediated developmental model. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37(8), 1562–1575. doi:10.1007/s10803-006-0290-z. CrossRef
- Schopler, E. (1994). A statewide program for the treatment and education of autistic and related communication handicapped children (TEACCH). Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North Carolina, 3(1), 91–103.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R., Bashford, A., Lansing, M., & Marcus, L. (Eds.). (1990). Psychoeducational Profile Revised (Vol. 1 (PEP-R)). Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.
- Short, A. B. (1984). Short-term treatment outcome using parents as co-therapists for their own autistic children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 25(3), 443–458. CrossRef
- Smith, T., Groen, A. D., & Wynn, J. W. (2000). Randomized trial of intensive early intervention for children with pervasive developmental disorder. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 105(4), 269–285. CrossRef
- Yoder, P., & Stone, W. L. (2006). A randomized comparison of the effect of two prelinguistic communication interventions on the acquisition of spoken communication in preschoolers with ASD. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 49(4), 698–711. doi:10.1044/1092-4388(2006/051). CrossRef
- The Home TEACCHing Program for Toddlers with Autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 42, Issue 9 , pp 1827-1835
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Early intervention
- Home-based intervention
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
- 2. The Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, USA